The Student Room Group

What six forms are good in London?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DeadEnd_96
1 hour away really? It takes me nearly an hour to get to Sixth Form. You will not be placed at a disadvantage don't worry. Just focus on your GCSE's and achieve all A* in your subjects. I would go for it I were you, you have nothing to lose. Good Luck :smile:

Thank you so much I really want to go to this school I sacrifice a lot to suceed in education I hope it will pay off. I really want to study medicine at oxford or imperial or harvard or ucl. It has been my dream for a very long time or law in yale or lse would be good is well I am really ambitious so some people think I am weird but when I go to the six form I want and to an elite university they will be weird for not wanting to suceed.
Reply 21
What's a "Six form"?
Reply 22
Original post by Maria1812
Are there any grammar six forms in London. As grammar schools have quite a good reputation. Is it hard to get a scholarship to a private six form? I heard you can get a music or art or drama scholarship but can you get one from academic subjects or something like that?

Woodford County is a good grammar sixth form for girls in London.
Reply 23
1 hour away really? It takes me nearly an hour to get to Sixth Form. You will not be placed at a disadvantage don't worry. Just focus on your GCSE's and achieve all A* in your subjects. I would go for if I were you, you have nothing to lose. Good Luck :smile:

If you don't mind me asking what sixth form do you go to? You do not have to answer if you prefer not. :smile: I really appreciate all the advice you have provided me with. :smile: Do you have any advice how to revise to get A's and A* in maths,science,languages and english?
St Olaves, Wallington High School for Girls/Nonsuch Girls or Wallington Boys/Wilson's
Reply 25
Original post by ubisoft
What's a "Six form"?

Sixth form
Thank you so much I really want to go to this school I sacrifice a lot to suceed in education I hope it will pay off. I really want to study medicine at oxford or imperial or harvard or ucl. It has been my dream for a very long time or law in yale or lse would be good is well I am really ambitious so some people think I am weird but when I go to the six form I want and to an elite university they will be weird for not wanting to suceed.

Don't worry about what other people think of you, just focus on what you have to do. It good to hear that you are ambitious.
If you don't mind me asking what sixth form do you go to? You do not have to answer if you prefer not. :smile: I really appreciate all the advice you have provided me with. :smile: Do you have any advice how to revise to get A's and A* in maths,science,languages and english?

Lets just say things didn't go according to plan. I managed to get into St Dominic's College, but near the exam period something happened in my family and I achieved poor AS grades of CCDE. I then decided to leave St Dominic's and retake year 12 at a different sixth form and managed to achieve AABB this year at AS. Now I have just started year 13 and can't wait to finish my A Levels lol.

For Biology I would recommend using the official textbook for your exam board and the CGP revision guide for your specific because that should cover all the information you will need. Using these two books make thorough notes using posters, mind maps, cue cards etc. whatever suits you. After making your notes, you need to make sure that you know all the information off by heart. You can do this by discussing topics with your friends, writing down notes again and again or covering your notes and saying it out aloud. Once you know all the information by heart, you can then move onto the past papers. After doing past papers, go back to the questions that you got wrong and memorise the answers from the mark scheme for the questions you got wrong. Also for the questions got wrong go back memorise topics that you are struggling on and attempt the questions again. Keep repeating this process until you are getting over 90% in your past papers.

For Chemistry you need to revise from the official textbook for your exam board and the CGP revision guide. The revision method I used is exactly the same for Biology (as above).

For Maths make sure you listen in class and do all the homework because it really does help. If you are aiming for the best grade the key is do as many questions as you can. If you don't understand something in class ask your teacher immediately and don't just keep the problem to yourself or you will regret it. I would start of by doing all the questions in the textbook. After that do every past paper you can find and do it as many times as possible until it is literally second nature.

For English I always practised writing essays for exam questions and then I would ask my teacher to mark the essays I wrote.

Good Luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
Lets just say things didn't go according to plan. I managed to get into St Dominic's College, but near the exam period something happened in my family and I achieved poor AS grades of CCDE. I then decided to leave St Dominic's and retake year 12 at a different sixth form and managed to achieve AABB this year at AS. Now I have just started year 13 and can't wait to finish my A Levels lol.

For Biology I would recommend using the official textbook for your exam board and the CGP revision guide for your specific because that should cover all the information you will need. Using these two books make thorough notes using posters, mind maps, cue cards etc. whatever suits you. After making your notes, you need to make sure that you know all the information off by heart. You can do this by discussing topics with your friends, writing down notes again and again or covering your notes and saying it out aloud. Once you know all the information by heart, you can then move onto the past papers. After doing past papers, go back to the questions that you got wrong and memorise the answers from the mark scheme for the questions you got wrong. Also for the questions got wrong go back memorise topics that you are struggling on and attempt the questions again. Keep repeating this process until you are getting over 90% in your past papers.

For Chemistry you need to revise from the official textbook for your exam board and the CGP revision guide. The revision method I used is exactly the same for Biology (as above).

For Maths make sure you listen in class and do all the homework because it really does help. If you are aiming for the best grade the key is do as many questions as you can. If you don't understand something in class ask your teacher immediately and don't just keep the problem to yourself or you will regret it. I would start of by doing all the questions in the textbook. After that do every past paper you can find and do it as many times as possible until it is literally second nature.

For English I always practised writing essays for exam questions and then I would ask my teacher to mark the essays I wrote.

Good Luck :smile:

Thnk you so much I hope I will get the 6 A's to get me into Harrieta grammar school which is their demand I am doing ok in english what I mean is I am making progress and I am at a B-A grade fi I really understand a topic. The hardest in physics I really struggle with it and for chemistry I find the balancing equations very hard. I need to carry on and practice I also find french very hard.
Reply 29
Original post by infairverona
St Olaves, Wallington High School for Girls/Nonsuch Girls or Wallington Boys/Wilson's

I have looked at St Olaves, and I'm very impressed! I will definitely apply. It has even better results than some of the private schools with fees. Even thought i live an hour away i will apply. The school websites says they accept students based on results, so the fact i live an hour away wont affect me hopefully.
Original post by Hydeman
The OP has a strong belief that a good standard of written English is not a prerequisite for entry to elite universities. Her UCAS personal statement will amuse many an admissions tutor...

She's obviously at GCSE stage so is around 15/16 and has got one word wrong on a forum i.e. not a formal piece of writing that will be proofread and checked by teachers before it is sent off, give her a break! There were people on my law degree who couldn't use the right their/there and they did just fine.

I have looked at St Olaves, and I'm very impressed! I will definitely apply. It has even better results than some of the private schools with fees. Even thought i live an hour away i will apply. The school websites says they accept students based on results, so the fact i live an hour away wont affect me hopefully.

It's results are really good. It's run like a private school but then again most grammar schools are. I went to one of the other schools I suggested for you in my post which also has really good results, all of the other schools I suggested have excellent results too. The one I went to in particular had a headteacher who had worked in private schools before so it was run exactly the same but obviously free!
Hi, so recently I have been looking at different six forms in London and I'm wondering what six forms are good and to which one I should i go to? The A levels I want to do are; physics,maths,biology and chemistry. My dream six form to go to is Ashbourne independent six form college. But it has fees and is really expensive so i cannot go there. So what six forms do you guys recommend in London? I do not mind where in London as I'm willing to even travel more than an hour to get there as long as it is really good. If you are recommending a six form you are going to or went to please tell me what a levels you are doing and what grades you got. :smile:

Colfe's in Greenwich. It's independent but they do scholarships
Which of the recommended schools above would you say is the best personally? And which one is the hardest to get in to?

Henrietta Barnett is very good. Albeit, I think the entrance requirements should be quite high.
She's obviously at GCSE stage so is around 15/16 and has got one word wrong on a forum i.e. not a formal piece of writing that will be proofread and checked by teachers before it is sent off, give her a break! There were people on my law degree who couldn't use the right their/there and they did just fine.

My comment was based partly on the first post on this thread (which is semi-literate, even if you think otherwise) and partly on my other interactions/altercations with the OP on other threads where her incomprehensible writing has been criticised by not just me, but by almost everyone else.

As an example, here's the OP of a thread where I clashed with her mightily:

so,i have looked at many countries in Asia such as Singapore,japan and south Korea ,china and they're education is way better and their pupils are more disciplined unlike in the uk. I also hate how in hate the uk the teaching methods are like discussion and trying to figure stuff out while in other asian countries that i mentioned they're different and better. in Asian countries that i mentioned they are way ahead than the uk with education and they're smarter and most pupils seem to respect they're teacher and know that the teacher has authority while in the uk in my school no one seems to respect the teacher and don't even know the simple rule that in the class room you are meant to be quite and listen to the teacher and not interrupt and put your hand up.

I feel like my education is being failed as in one lesson for example in science that was 1 hour and 15 minutes all we learned was what is photosynthesis and its equation and what do plants need to survive which should have took 10 minutes or less. Or for example in maths we do the same thing every year we learn the same thing and we never learn challenging difficult concepts or anything like that. Teachers cannot control the class they don't know how to make the class quite and listen, they won't shout or send bad people out and I'm just frustrated because i spend more than half of the lesson waiting for everyone to shut up.In asian countries it is shown that most pupils respect their teachers and shut up. I feel like in the uk there is not enough pressure on young people to success and not enough discipline and young people are not pushed to their limit and are too comfortable.

I feel like I'm being let down as I'm not achieving my potential as i try so hard in school to learn and i never learn as much as I can as people don't know when to be quite or behave. I wish the uk education system was as good and strict as the one in japan for example. I think school should be longer for example 12 hours long or even 10 (the limit) and that they're should be cram schools in the uk. I do not think the emphasise on studying and succeeding in life because of education is emphasised enough in the uk.

Oh, and this was all in one paragraph initially; she edited it later on after numerous complaints that it was impossible to read.

So yeah, I think my comment was justified. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Magnesium
Henrietta Barnett is very good. Albeit, I think the entrance requirements should be quite high.

By any chance do you know what entrance exams for grammar schools are like?

Living far away from St Olave's has no affect on entry. They only care about your grades and how you perform in the entrance exam, and also predicted grades in your relevant subjects. My journey is around 1.5hours there and it's perfectly fine to go to. If you only live an hour away, you should apply. Like what @infairverona said - Olave's is run like a private school, but obviously with less funding. I would say it has much more of a 'private school atmosphere' than the other grammar schools in Wallington/Sutton, having experienced both. Wilson's doesn't accept girls in sixth form, and it's perfectly arguable that St Olave's is much better academically than Wallington Girls/Boys :tongue:
By any chance do you know what entrance exams for grammar schools are like?

I only tried ever did the entrance exam for St Olave's (there was no entrance exam for Wallington Girls/Wallington Boys or Tiffin Girls) and it wasn't really that hard. However, I really think it depends on your capabilities. The entrance exams for St Olave's were solely based on GCSE and because it was based on different exam boards, there'll be some things you haven't come across. My chemistry exam was definitely something completely new for the last half, but all the questions were aimed to be answerable by using GCSE logic. I did exams in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and History. But then changed history to physics after starting there. The questions are all aimed towards A/A*, and you'll be revising for your gcse exams at that time anyway, so it wasn't too much to revise for :smile:
Original post by Hydeman

So yeah, I think my comment was justified. :wink:

Maybe it is justified but I just thought it was a bit harsh when she's pretty young and you referred to her personal statement which will be vetted numerous times, especially if she goes to the kinds of schools mentioned on here! I went to one of the grammar schools I mentioned and multiple teachers had to check our statements before they would 'accept' our UCAS (or whatever it is that the school has to do from their end before your application can be sent off)

Living far away from St Olave's has no affect on entry. They only care about your grades and how you perform in the entrance exam, and also predicted grades in your relevant subjects. My journey is around 1.5hours there and it's perfectly fine to go to. If you only live an hour away, you should apply. Like what @infairverona said - Olave's is run like a private school, but obviously with less funding. I would say it has much more of a 'private school atmosphere' than the other grammar schools in Wallington/Sutton, having experienced both. Wilson's doesn't accept girls in sixth form, and it's perfectly arguable that St Olave's is much better academically than Wallington Girls/Boys :tongue:

Olaves is definitely better, but it's also far more competitive. I think the others are a decent option as well. Wallington Boys I would say is the lowest but they do accept girls into their sixth form. Wallington Girls has great results too. When I was there it was run like a private school but not sure since they got a new headteacher - I last went there over 4 years ago now!
Maybe it is justified but I just thought it was a bit harsh when she's pretty young and you referred to her personal statement which will be vetted numerous times, especially if she goes to the kinds of schools mentioned on here! I went to one of the grammar schools I mentioned and multiple teachers had to check our statements before they would 'accept' our UCAS (or whatever it is that the school has to do from their end before your application can be sent off)

Olaves is definitely better, but it's also far more competitive. I think the others are a decent option as well. Wallington Boys I would say is the lowest but they do accept girls into their sixth form. Wallington Girls has great results too. When I was there it was run like a private school but not sure since they got a new headteacher - I last went there over 4 years ago now!

Ah, I used to go to Wallington Girls too and then moved to Olaves last year. I think Wallington changed a lot since they got a new head - I think the new headteacher was from Wilson's and hence lots of the Wilson's rules were installed over at Wallington, even the sixth form uniform is changed. I hear Wallington is merging with Nonsuch now. Wallington Girls/Boys is probably a good backup choice for OP in case she doesn't get into Olaves!
Ah, I used to go to Wallington Girls too and then moved to Olaves last year. I think Wallington changed a lot since they got a new head - I think the new headteacher was from Wilson's and hence lots of the Wilson's rules were installed over at Wallington, even the sixth form uniform is changed. I hear Wallington is merging with Nonsuch now. Wallington Girls/Boys is probably a good backup choice for OP in case she doesn't get into Olaves!

My sister just finished sixth form there and she had to wear business dress for lessons, I think that's ridiculous. But I think Wally Boys also has done that for a long time, and Wilsons. Wallington and Nonsuch are merging to be an academy so they will have one head that oversees both, but both sites will also have their own headteacher...no idea how that's going to work or what it adds to the schools themselves :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending