The Student Room Group

Ocr mei a level maths

Hey I would love some advice with this Subject and exam board. Please tell me how you did in each unit and tell me what books you used to revise with, did you take notes, did you do all the current spec past papers and the old spec past papers, did you do the questions in the books you used, did you do any other questions other than past paper questions? Please could you be specific. I really need some help, I really appreciate it!
hi, i just did 7 modules this year and got the following scores:
C1 98
C2 100
C3 100
C4 100
S1 91
M1 100
M2 90

Notes on each module:
C1, C2: Basically 80% of it is GCSE stuff, and the new stuff like circle theorem and geometric series should be easy to understand. You should able to complete these in good time (30 mins to spare) so use the time to check your answers to aim for 100 UMS.

C1 usually has fairly high grade boundaries, so you really do need to get 100% raw marks if you want to get 100 UMS for C1

C3, C4, Basically calculus modules. The papers for C3 and C4 are relatively short, so if you've done a bit of practice and get familiar with the methods, you should able to do the paper really quickly. I got my paper done in about 30 minutes, so I had a little nap in the exam before I proceeded to check my answers. It's really easy once you get the hang of it.

For the coursework, just do what the mark scheme tells you to. Doing more than the mark scheme requires is really just a waste of time.

The comprehension paper isn't really 'taught' and it's kind of an aptitude test, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

M1, M2: Definitely more time pressured than the pure modules. Most of the questions are not too challenging in both, but about once per paper M2 asks you a genuinely tricky physics-type question that probes your understanding of newtonian mechanics instead of just being able to rote learn formulae. M2 has only 4 questions, so if you mess up one of them you will lose a lot of marks and get a very bad result, like I did. Be careful on this module

S1: very easy exam, dont know how i got 91, i was really shocked by this result. just be careful since hypthesis testing is kind of stupid and you will lose random marks for not wording things the way the exam board wants it even if you understand all the maths

Revision: I put most of my studying towards the start of the year, and was more or less 90% done with C1-C4, M1 and S1 by christmas, so I had a couple of months just to do other stuff before the exam.

I didn't take notes and this is how I worked:
Read the text book, do like 10-20% the exercise and check my answers. If one of my answers is different, I will assume that I am correct and the back of the book is wrong, but if several of my answers are incorrect I will re-read all the examples and see where I gone wrong.
Just rinse-repeat this and push through the exercise book at your own pace.
Once I was done I did 2 past papers for each module I was taking.

That's all the revision I did. It's really not that hard, I think my results could have been better but hey, what do you expect when you've hardly worked at it since christmas.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by imsoanonymous123
hi, i just did 7 modules this year and got the following scores:
C1 98
C2 100
C3 100
C4 100
S1 91
M1 100
M2 90

Notes on each module:
C1, C2: Basically 80% of it is GCSE stuff, and the new stuff like circle theorem and geometric series should be easy to understand. You should able to complete these in good time (30 mins to spare) so use the time to check your answers to aim for 100 UMS.

C1 usually has fairly high grade boundaries, so you really do need to get 100% raw marks if you want to get 100 UMS for C1

C3, C4, Basically calculus modules. The papers for C3 and C4 are relatively short, so if you've done a bit of practice and get familiar with the methods, you should able to do the paper really quickly. I got my paper done in about 30 minutes, so I had a little nap in the exam before I proceeded to check my answers. It's really easy once you get the hang of it.

For the coursework, just do what the mark scheme tells you to. Doing more than the mark scheme requires is really just a waste of time.

The comprehension paper isn't really 'taught' and it's kind of an aptitude test, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

M1, M2: Definitely more time pressured than the pure modules. Most of the questions are not too challenging in both, but about once per paper M2 asks you a genuinely tricky physics-type question that probes your understanding of newtonian mechanics instead of just being able to rote learn formulae. M2 has only 4 questions, so if you mess up one of them you will lose a lot of marks and get a very bad result, like I did. Be careful on this module

S1: very easy exam, dont know how i got 91, i was really shocked by this result. just be careful since hypthesis testing is kind of stupid and you will lose random marks for not wording things the way the exam board wants it even if you understand all the maths

Revision: I put most of my studying towards the start of the year, and was more or less 90% done with C1-C4, M1 and S1 by christmas, so I had a couple of months just to do other stuff before the exam.

I didn't take notes and this is how I worked:
Read the text book, do like 10-20% the exercise and check my answers. If one of my answers is different, I will assume that I am correct and the back of the book is wrong, but if several of my answers are incorrect I will re-read all the examples and see where I gone wrong.
Just rinse-repeat this and push through the exercise book at your own pace.
Once I was done I did 2 past papers for each module I was taking.

That's all the revision I did. It's really not that hard, I think my results could have been better but hey, what do you expect when you've hardly worked at it since christmas.

Thanks a lot. Could you please link me the book you used . Also did you really just do 2 past papers for each exam? Most people who do that well do a lot more. How did your friends or other people you know revised?
Reply 3
Original post by Kira Yagami
Hey I would love some advice with this Subject and exam board. Please tell me how you did in each unit and tell me what books you used to revise with, did you take notes, did you do all the current spec past papers and the old spec past papers, did you do the questions in the books you used, did you do any other questions other than past paper questions? Please could you be specific. I really need some help, I really appreciate it!

Hi, I've just done my AS with this exam board. This is how I did: C1: B, C2: A, S1: B. I got a B overall. For revision, I think the best way is to do past papers so you get familiar with the exam questions. I did all the past papers from 2005-2014 for each unit. It's also best to take notes from the textbooks but there is also the REVISE book which pretty much just summarises the key points. The revision books also have practice questions and step-by-step solutions which are really helpful! The textbooks have answers at the back but they don't explain the method so it can be annoying sometimes. I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
Original post by Kira Yagami
Thanks a lot. Could you please link me the book you used . Also did you really just do 2 past papers for each exam? Most people who do that well do a lot more. How did your friends or other people you know revised?

I used textbooks that look like this, this is the one for C3/C4

do however past papers you feel you need, I personally only needed to do about 2 for each module on average to feel comfortable, except for M2 where I did a few more :tongue:
Original post by kgsj20
Hi, I've just done my AS with this exam board. This is how I did: C1: B, C2: A, S1: B. I got a B overall. For revision, I think the best way is to do past papers so you get familiar with the exam questions. I did all the past papers from 2005-2014 for each unit. It's also best to take notes from the textbooks but there is also the REVISE book which pretty much just summarises the key points. The revision books also have practice questions and step-by-step solutions which are really helpful! The textbooks have answers at the back but they don't explain the method so it can be annoying sometimes. I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest