The Student Room Group

Number of points to include in 25 mark essay

Hi. In a 25 mark essay, for example one that says 'does higher GDP necessarily mean higher living standards,' how many points for and against shall I write?

Will analysing 3 reasons why GDP doesn't equate to high living standards and 3 reasons why it does mean living standards are higher, along with a conclusion be enough for 25 marks?

If not, how many points (explained in depth) should there be?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Yes, three points for both sides will be good enough.

INTRODUCTION:- define terms in the question and introduce your three points for and against.
BODY- expand on each point
- each point should be treated like a mini essay ( intro, body, conclusion)
CONCLUSION-summary of each point expanded in the body
hope this helps! ^,^
Original post by n3qva
Yes, three points for both sides will be good enough.

INTRODUCTION:- define terms in the question and introduce your three points for and against.
BODY- expand on each point
- each point should be treated like a mini essay ( intro, body, conclusion)
CONCLUSION-summary of each point expanded in the body
hope this helps! ^,^

Thank you very much. How do you know this though? Have you done questions like this before?
When you say each point is a mini essay, would a 10 line paragraph do?
I mean, for the introduction can i say for example, 'it depends on the type of products produced,' then for the body i explain in depth that some products are harmful so they raise gdp but lower living standards, then for the conclusion i say, 'these products are damaging and so prove gdp doesnt mean higher living standards.' is that fine or does the conclusion need more detail?

So how long do you think your answer should be, like how many A4 pages handwritten?
Really really appreciate it.
Reply 3
At my class, we are taught in 4 parts of a 25 mark essay.
Introduction- Give background info, quotes from soucres, defintions of key terms in the question itself (GDP, living standards)
Application- YES IT WILL because, graphs/diagrams, NO IT WON'T because graphs/diagrams
Analysis- Explain the graphs and use soucres to back it up
Conclusion- Round up points for YES, round up a summary for NO, and what you think.
Hope it helps. :smile:
Original post by rk1305
At my class, we are taught in 4 parts of a 25 mark essay.
Introduction- Give background info, quotes from soucres, defintions of key terms in the question itself (GDP, living standards)
Application- YES IT WILL because, graphs/diagrams, NO IT WON'T because graphs/diagrams
Analysis- Explain the graphs and use soucres to back it up
Conclusion- Round up points for YES, round up a summary for NO, and what you think.
Hope it helps. :smile:

Thanks a lot. But when I say 'yes it will' and 'no it won't' how many points do I include in support of each. For example, do write 3 points why it will raise living standards and 3 points why it won't? Or should there be more? Thanks again.
Reply 5
Three points for and against were always an accetable amount for my classes. However, if you can find more points that you can expand on for YES and for NO, then you can include them in the essay. Three points should be your minimum.
Reply 6
I was also taught to do more than 3. 2 if you're lucky and can explain it really well, with the use of graphs/diagrams and key terminiology. But stick with 3-4 on the safe side. However, don't do too many as yyou will have to manage your time efficiently.
Original post by rk1305
I was also taught to do more than 3. 2 if you're lucky and can explain it really well, with the use of graphs/diagrams and key terminiology. But stick with 3-4 on the safe side. However, don't do too many as yyou will have to manage your time efficiently.

Thank you lots. How many marks does each point get if explained well?
Reply 8
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ECON2-W-MS-JUN14.PDF

Our examination bod was AQA so I would recommend going on to Page11 for more info on how the 25mark essay is split and how they give out marks. Hope it helps.

Quick Reply

Latest