The Student Room Group

Ask Peterhouse!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi all,
We're closing up a bit early for the weekend so if we haven't got back to you yet we will do next week - have a good weekend all of you!

Enjoy the sunshine :smile:
Original post by vincrows
Hi, I happened to know several Geographers (current and recent graduates) in various colleges, and afaik two interviews cover both physical and human. You'll have to do both Physical and Human in the first year, so they want to make sure your standard is up to scratch in both. How it's conducted (like if one is physical- only and the other human-only or mixed on both) may vary from college to college.

Okay! Thanks very much.
Reply 142
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Do applicants receiving a Computer Science w/Maths offer ever be required to get an A* in Physics? I know the typical offer is A*A*A 1,1 in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, STEP II and III respectively but in what situation would you want an A* in all three, the third being in Physics?

I only ask because applying for a course with no Physics in at all, I wouldn't expect to need the A* in it.

Leading me onto my second question - If a (Computer Science with Maths) offer holder where to narrowly miss their STEP grades but hit/ surpass A level grades, is it technically a possibility that they get offered a place for either of the other Computer Science options - the ones lighter on Maths?

Thanks in advance!

Like you, I'm intending to apply for CS with Maths, and wondered about what happens if you meet A-Level requirements but fail STEP. For Maths, many offer holders narrowly fail STEP but get a place for Maths anyway. The same isn't true for CS with Maths (you are unlikely to get a place for that specific course) but you are likely to be admitted for CS with something else. If you want the exact details for each college, I can PM you them. Also worth noting is that several colleges have STEP offers for CS with Maths lower than 1,1 (for instance, Trinity only seems to want 1 in STEP I).
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Don't worry about UMS averages!

Those are some very good results. For maths, a lot of the assessment is about how good you are at solving maths problems (which isn't necessarily the same as doing very well at maths A level, although candidates who are good at one tend to be good at the other). STEP also plays a large role in our selection of Mathematics students. We ideally want candidates to be studying 3 subjects in upper 6th.

Original post by jneill
Just to help the AT, what subjects are you doing in U6? Presumably Physics A2, Further Maths (6 modules or?) You would be expected to have 3 subjects or equivalent in your U6 year.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I'm currently intending to do anywhere between 8 to 11 maths modules as well as Physics and Economics A2 this year. Would that be equivalent of doing 3 or 4 subjects?
Original post by roddylm
Like you, I'm intending to apply for CS with Maths, and wondered about what happens if you meet A-Level requirements but fail STEP. For Maths, many offer holders narrowly fail STEP but get a place for Maths anyway. The same isn't true for CS with Maths (you are unlikely to get a place for that specific course) but you are likely to be admitted for CS with something else. If you want the exact details for each college, I can PM you them. Also worth noting is that several colleges have STEP offers for CS with Maths lower than 1,1 (for instance, Trinity only seems to want 1 in STEP I).

Ah okay I understand, so there's a hint of luck involved then, oh and if you could, I'll be applying for Robinson's college :smile: How do they do it regarding this?
Reply 145
Would you need to be a grade 8 instrumentalist by the time you apply to Cambridge for the music course? I know most people are but would I be at a disadvantage if I'm not graded or if I'm not on grade 8 on any instruments?
Would you say UMS is more of a guideline, used to see that quality of an applicant, so it becomes more of a "pass or fail" aspect or do you truly consider an applicant with say 1% UMS more than the next a considerably better applicant?

This may seem like a very vauge and weirdly worded question I feel haha. I mean, is UMS primarily used as a benchmark (i.e. if you get over x% UMS you have as much chance of getting a place as everyone with higher UMS and the exact scores are only considered when comparing various very similar applicants) or is it looked into in much more detail where applicants with higher UMS are considered a much better applicant when looking at only test scores, even if only a couple UMS?

For example, if an applicant got something random like 93.4 UMS, would you just refer to it as within a group such as 90-95 UMS until you need to compare them to a very similar applicant, or is this applicant automatically a much better one than someone with 92 UMS for instance, or would you say these two are too alike to pick one based off of UMS scores to that much detail? The question is basically how much weighting does the exact UMS score actually have, I have a feeling people obsess over them to much and as long as you're comfortably getting >90 UMS you can consider yourself a strong applicant since there's so many aspects of an application to consider.

If I'm correct, does this also mean the teacher reference also has a just as big weighting, as a typical "Best in School" student is a strong applicant almost always.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

I'm planning on applying for medicine at Cambridge and am wondering how useful doing an EPQ on a biologically related topic is. I know that it is something that is looked favourably upon but could you please expand on how it is looked at to help me decide whether the additional hours I would allocate to it would be better off doing something else, such as reading scientific journals and books.

Also, I know that for medicine applications you look at SUMS, mine is 91.7. It would be 92.7 if my further maths modules weren't taken into account. I'm doing further maths AS over two years. As I'm in year 13 now I'll be finishing it this academic year. Will the fact that I'm doing more maths modules make up for one of the further maths modules lowering my SUMS?

Thank you very much,
Amin
How important would you say knowledge around the subject an applicant wishes to apply for is?

For example, are all Computer Science applicants expected to know loads of coding etc (will there be a whole interview simply focused on Computer Science) or are applicants allowed to just want to study it instead of already doing so?
Reply 149
Hi Peterhouse admission, I am an international student applying from China, and I have some questions about the admission of the mathematics with physics course.

1. COPA asks if the candidate is planning to transfer to other departments after first year. What is the purpose of it and will one's application be disadvantaged by a positive response?

2. Is 1,S on STEP 2,3 a competitive result for maths with physics? How competitive is the admission of the course at Peterhouse?

3. If a student studying maths with physics transfers, after finishing part IA maths, to natural science department, does he/she need to study other subjects like chemistry, or just physics and advanced mathematics in the second year?

4. What is your college's travelling grants (for physics projects) based on?

Reply 150
Hi there!

I am debating applying to read Economics or HSPS at Cambridge and I was just wondering on my chances.

GCSE's: 2A*'s, 6A's and 3B's (Below Cambridge average, I know),

AS Levels: AAAA with an average UMS in my top 3 at 88.1 (could well rise to 90ish with an imminent remark)

Extenuating circumstances: I go to VERY below average state school that has not sent anyone to Oxbridge for a long time, so long that no one there remembers anyone every having gone!

Cheers!

EDIT: AS Levels and UMS:
Maths: 93.33
Georgraphy: 87.5 (Remark due soon)
Politics: 83.5
Economics: 81
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by brasr
I think you got that completely wrong and you might want to read that webpage closely. it clearly says that it's there to help you, not to be in your way. It's also clear that you are called for an interview anyway -- being called for an interview is not conditioned on this test, i.e. you are not deselected/shortlisted based on it (like Oxford does with MAT).

Still a test I have to take, that I'll be judged on, and is stressful. Will be the most stressful exam I've ever sitten, has a much bigger weighting than the ones I've taken so far so I'm not exactly excited. It's only there to help those who are actually good enough to ensure they get in, and I have no idea if I'm one of those.
Original post by Combo22
Hi there!

I am debating applying to read Economics or HSPS at Cambridge and I was just wondering on my chances.

GCSE's: 2A*'s, 6A's and 3B's (Below Cambridge average, I know),

AS Levels: AAAA with an average UMS in my top 3 at 88.1 (could well rise to 90ish with an imminent remark)

Extenuating circumstances: I go to VERY below average state school that has not sent anyone to Oxbridge for a long time, so long that no one there remembers anyone every having gone!

Cheers!

A-level subjects and UMS for each are very important information to reply to a question like that. Maybe you want to edit that in? :wink:
Still a test I have to take, that I'll be judged on, and is stressful. Will be the most stressful exam I've ever sitten, has a much bigger weighting than the ones I've taken so far so I'm not exactly excited. It's only there to help those who are actually good enough to ensure they get in, and I have no idea if I'm one of those.

That's very interesting argument. They need to find out which candidates are good enough for their course and interviews and tests are there for them to find out about it. What is wrong with that?
Reply 154
A-level subjects and UMS for each are very important information to reply to a question like that. Maybe you want to edit that in? :wink:

Edited, cheers :smile:
That's very interesting argument. They need to find out which candidates are good enough for their course and interviews and tests are there for them to find out about it. What is wrong with that?

I never said there's anything wrong with it mate, just saying that it's another stressful obstacle for candidates that might potentially deter a couple, it's just my view on it. I'm very stressed for that test - as I am for an interview.

To be honest you constantly seem to be trying to find reasons why Cambridge isn't for you... Maybe best to just take a breath, take a step back, concentrate on your school work and do the best you can. It's the same for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brasr
personally I have a hard time seeing your point ...

first, from what the page says, they actually tried to come up with a method that helps all *suitable* candidates for the course: they let you choose the questions, the interview is not conditioned on it, it is considered *in addition* to the interview which (from what I've heard) it is to offer candidates another chance in case they flunk the interview (i expect that if that happens but you score well in this test then you could be pooled, whereas without the test you'd be out) ... from everything i read on that webpage, it basically boils down to them trying to make sure they don't lose out on good candidates and for as many candidates to be tested fairly

second, how do you know how much weighting it has?

third, it sounds like you're looking for the easiest way in and are unhappy that cambridge is putting measures in place to help select the best applicants (they certainly don't want to miss out on the good ones) ... did/will you reject Oxford because they require sitting the MAT (which does shortlist and which has no freedom to choose questions)? from that pov, cambridge sounds easier for you (they may not be thrilled with the attitude though)

Seriously what is with people attacking my opinion, I'm literally just stating that having to do an extra 1 and a half hour difficult test as part of the admissions process is something I may find stressful, am I not allowed to find it stressful?

I'm not "looking for the easiest way" I'm just stating a possibility of stress, how does that mean I have a bad attitude and mean I'm looking for an easy way in? This test + the interview are aspects of my application, right? Therefore they all matter, and when something matters, people tend to take it seriously, and many also get stressed by the situation. I would much rather the best applicants get in obviously, but I'm still yet to understand why an applicant isn't allowed to be stressed.

Original post by jneill
To be honest you constantly seem to be trying to find reasons why Cambridge isn't for you... Maybe best to just take a breath, take a step back, concentrate on your school work and do the best you can. It's the same for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I appreciate your words, I promise you I'm not just moaning for the sake of it xD Thanks, but don't worry about me :smile:
Original post by brasr

p.s. most if not all of those colleges already had a written test on the day of the interview. It seems now they have a more suitable one.

^this. It's a new standardised test across a number of colleges. Has to be "a good thing".

CM97... Cambridge wants to find the best candidates and it wants them to do well. It doesn't want anyone to do poorly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
^this. It's a new standardised test across a number of colleges. Has to be "a good thing".

CM97... Cambridge wants to find the best candidates and it wants them to do well. It doesn't want anyone to do poorly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I agree it seems like a great way to further differentiate between applicants from an outside view, just from a student's view it's just a "Oh no another test I have to do really well in" especially since it seems there's no real way to prepare for it, other than STEP maybe. It's both a chance to show off our ability and a chance to mess up our chances at the same time, maybe I just get stressed more than most people :P

Quick Reply