The Student Room Group

Science and science double award

Hello,

I'm 24 and wanting to study midwifery but I'm starting from the beginning due to being bullied in school. I am studying my maths english and science this year at my local college and an access course next year as a few universities will accept 3 gcses with the access course or just maths and English with an access course.

I will see where I get with the 3 and an access course but ideally I would like to gain 5 or more gcses.

My college only offered science single award but another college that I hope to study my access course with next year were full on their science double award course.

Soooo, my question is if I were to pass my science single award gcse next year and went to try and gain a further 2 gcses, if I studied the science double award would that cancel out my science single award gcse? So instead of gaining 5 gcses I'd actually have 4?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by xDivax90x
Soooo, my question is if I were to pass my science single award gcse next year and went to try and gain a further 2 gcses, if I studied the science double award would that cancel out my science single award gcse? So instead of gaining 5 gcses I'd actually have 4?

I'm afraid you couldn't count both so you would only have 4.
Original post by xDivax90x
Hello,

I'm 24 and wanting to study midwifery but I'm starting from the beginning due to being bullied in school. I am studying my maths english and science this year at my local college and an access course next year as a few universities will accept 3 gcses with the access course or just maths and English with an access course.

I will see where I get with the 3 and an access course but ideally I would like to gain 5 or more gcses.

My college only offered science single award but another college that I hope to study my access course with next year were full on their science double award course.

Thank you!

That does not sound right. For the June 2014 exams, taking B1, C1, and P1 provided the grade for Science, and the results in B2, C2, and P2 provided the grade for Additional Science (this was iGCSE where practical knowledge is incorporated into the written exams). Students could get different grades in the two awards and these counted as two iGCSEs. I believe that AQA runs a similar structure, but with an additional practical exam for each component.

On the other hand, I have not heard of anyone taking Science one year and Additional Science the following year.

Also, the exams structure changes so quickly, you might also need to check what is planned for exams to be taken in June 2017.
Reply 3
Original post by Holmstock
That does not sound right. For the June 2014 exams, taking B1, C1, and P1 provided the grade for Science, and the results in B2, C2, and P2 provided the grade for Additional Science (this was iGCSE where practical knowledge is incorporated into the written exams). Students could get different grades in the two awards and these counted as two iGCSEs. I believe that AQA runs a similar structure, but with an additional practical exam for each component.

On the other hand, I have not heard of anyone taking Science one year and Additional Science the following year.

Also, the exams structure changes so quickly, you might also need to check what is planned for exams to be taken in June 2017.

It all sounded OK to me but I don't understand/agree with a lot of what you've put - I could criticize it line by line but it seems too picky

The OP was asking about Double Science which is a single qualification equivalent to 2 GCSEs (Science and Additional Science). Most of the exam boards don't offer it as a GCSE but they do offer it as an IGCSE/Certificate.

Regardless, a GCSE in Science and then an IGCSE in Double Science would only count for 2 GCSEs.
Original post by Compost
It all sounded OK to me but I don't understand/agree with a lot of what you've put - I could criticize it line by line but it seems too picky

The OP was asking about Double Science which is a single qualification equivalent to 2 GCSEs (Science and Additional Science). Most of the exam boards don't offer it as a GCSE but they do offer it as an IGCSE/Certificate.

Regardless, a GCSE in Science and then an IGCSE in Double Science would only count for 2 GCSEs.

Been a while since I did gcse exams but I did double science - I have separate certificates for Science and Double Science - 2 separate gcse's one hasn't cancelled out the other - but maybe times have changed?
Reply 5
Original post by AmyPilot
Been a while since I did gcse exams but I did double science - I have separate certificates for Science and Double Science - 2 separate gcse's one hasn't cancelled out the other - but maybe times have changed?

CCEA still offers a GCSE in Double Science but I believe it has been the only one for a while. (I'm not counting Applied Science, IGCSE, Certificates etc here, just straight GCSEs in Science.)
I think if you had to have a certain number of GCSEs and you were counting those as 3 then you would discover then they do not all count.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Compost
CCEA still offers a GCSE in Double Science but I believe it has been the only one for a while. (I'm not counting Applied Science, IGCSE, Certificates etc here, just straight GCSEs in Science.)
I think if you had to have a certain number of GCSEs and you were counting those as 3 then you would discover then they do not all count.

Well I did say I did mine a while ago - I did AQA and I definitely have 2 GCSE's in science (core and additional).
Reply 7
Original post by AmyPilot
Well I did say I did mine a while ago - I did AQA and I definitely have 2 GCSE's in science (core and additional).

Yes, they still offer Science and Additional Science. That is not the same thing as Double Award Science which is what the OP asked about.

Quick Reply

Latest