The Student Room Group

I cannot make up my mind!

I hope to study neuroscience at university, I am currently in Year 12.
I am taking biology, chemistry, further maths(counts as two AS levels).
But I am thinking of taking maths and french instead of further maths.
I enjoy both subjects as further maths gets me to think and I like doing calculations but I also like french because I get to learn another language.

So which should I take? Which would be better if I wanted to go into neuroscience?

HEEEELLLLLPPPPP!
Reply 1
You can take further maths without taking maths now?

Why not study maths alongside further maths?
Original post by BWV1007
You can take further maths without taking maths now?

Why not study maths alongside further maths?

No, if you take further maths you have to take maths but at my college we don't say maths and further maths, it's just further maths but of course maths is included.

That's what I am doing right now. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by F.Nietzsche
No, if you take further maths you have to take maths but at my college we don't say maths and further maths, it's just further maths but of course maths is included.

That's what I am doing right now. :smile:

Taking French over further maths is perfectly fine then, if you're more interested in it, go for it.
Original post by BWV1007
Taking French over further maths is perfectly fine then, if you're more interested in it, go for it.

I like them both equally, that's why it's so hard to make up my mind. I don't know which one to take!

What do you recommend?
Reply 5
i would say french will show some diversity - showing youre not just a maths/science person
however, i would say pick which ever subject you are best at or will enjoy most!
also check if any courses you want to apply to want further maths (or would prefer further maths)
Reply 6
I hope to study neuroscience at university, I am currently in Year 12.
I am taking biology, chemistry, further maths(counts as two AS levels).
But I am thinking of taking maths and french instead of further maths.
I enjoy both subjects as further maths gets me to think and I like doing calculations but I also like french because I get to learn another language.

So which should I take? Which would be better if I wanted to go into neuroscience?

HEEEELLLLLPPPPP!

Both are good to get into neuroscience. Further maths is not necessary but if you enjoy it there are benefits such as improving maths grades etc. You can learn French anytime, most unis offer language courses for free and some even count as optional modules which give you credit.

Overall, neither is a bad option so I would say just think about the workload: out of all your choices, French will be the most different (least complementary) so you may have to invest more time in it.
Original post by xylas
Both are good to get into neuroscience. Further maths is not necessary but if you enjoy it there are benefits such as improving maths grades etc. You can learn French anytime, most unis offer language courses for free and some even count as optional modules which give you credit.

Overall, neither is a bad option so I would say just think about the workload: out of all your choices, French will be the most different (least complementary) so you may have to invest more time in it.

That's true, thanks.

I think I might just keep further maths.
Reply 8
That's true, thanks.

I think I might just keep further maths.

Best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest