The Student Room Group

ID in Newcastle Gig 18+...??

I'd just like to ask for your advice on a matter concerning id (NOT GETTING A FAKE ONE)-- I've been wanting to see a band live for ages, and they don't come to Newcastle often (last time was a year ago as support). They're fairly small in terms of recognition, so they're going to be at the Cluny 2. The problem for me is that I'm only 16, and not anywhere near 17, so I don't have any confirming id.
So what do you think? Does the Cluny have strict checks and stuff?
I don't want to drink or anything, I just want to see this band live. Any help or advice would be appreciated, so thank you.

Edit: since we have some extremely helpful authoritarian members on board who look out to destroy all notions of fun, looks like this thread is entirely pointless. I appreciate all your considerations, though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by OliviatheScribe
Does the Cluny have strict checks and stuff?

Hopefully and likely

Should I get a fake id?

Depends if you want to break the law

Where can I get one?.

Not here

I don't want to drink or anything, I just want to see this band live.

Doesn't matter, you'll likely be in breach of their licence. Why would they risk their business being closed by the council..
So according to your post, it doesn't really look like I'll be going. Thanks anyway.
Original post by Reue
Hopefully and likely

Depends if you want to break the law

Not here

Doesn't matter, you'll likely be in breach of their licence. Why would they risk their business being closed by the council..

I think you're being a little harsh haha!

I'm from Newcastle and was going into drinking establishments from age 16 and consuming alcoholic beverages :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by PrittyVacant
I think you're being a little harsh haha!

The kid is asking for advice on obtaining and using a fake ID... I'd be equally as harsh to anyone else on here asking for advice on breaking the law.

Also please don't then post advice on how to break the law.
Reply 5
So according to your post, it doesn't really look like I'll be going. Thanks anyway.

A local venue to me recently got in trouble because an under-aged child got in and was then involved in a fight which resulted in police and ambulance being called.

The venue lost it's licence resulting in it having to close down for months and all the staff losing their jobs.

Not really fair on them, or all the other people who used to attend the venue, just because a child wanted to break the rules.
Original post by Reue
A local venue to me recently got in trouble because an under-aged child got in and was then involved in a fight which resulted in police and ambulance being called.

The venue lost it's licence resulting in it having to close down for months and all the staff losing their jobs.

Not really fair on them, or all the other people who used to attend the venue, just because a child wanted to break the rules.

Granted, but you'd be naive to think thank 16/17 year olds don't attempt to try to get in to 18+ venues before they're able... It's a fairly standard part of growing up I think... And if she's just wanting to go to watch the band and drinks soft drinks, I don't really see the issue... I doubt they'd revoke a license for serving her a half a coke or a lemonade and lime!!

Most bars/pubs allow kids in up until 9pm as it is. And actually, it's only illegal to serve alcohol to under 18s. It's not actually illegal for them to consume it on the premises. When I take my three kids for a Sunday lunch every now and again, my 12 year old is legally allowed to drink the half a shandy that I buy him, on the premises. They're just not allowed to serve him with it directly.

EDIT: I stand corrected, apparently he shouldn't be drinking half a shandy (on the premises). My bad, but it is a local, quiet pub!! It is once in a blue moon tbf or when on holiday! (Trying to teach/instill a sociable/responsible attitude to alcohol, in a (possibly vain) attempt at curbing any teenage stupidity with vast quantities in a few years)

BUT I did find out that 16/17 years olds ARE allowed to drink beer/wine/cider in establishments that serve alcohol, they are just not allowed to buy it. Therefore, no law is broken and they would NOT lose their licence UNLESS they served her with it.

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04935/SN04935.pdf <----- as per Parliamentry legislation on underage drinking.

Therefore, I conclude, I don't think there is any harm in her attending this gig, whatsoever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Granted, but you'd be naive to think thank 16/17 year olds don't attempt to try to get in to 18+ venues before they're able... It's a fairly standard part of growing up I think... And if she's just wanting to go to watch the band and drinks soft drinks, I don't really see the issue... I doubt they'd revoke a license for serving her a half a coke or a lemonade and lime!!

Most bars/pubs allow kids in up until 9pm as it is. And actually, it's only illegal to serve alcohol to under 18s. It's not actually illegal for them to consume it on the premises. When I take my three kids for a Sunday lunch every now and again, my 12 year old is legally allowed to drink the half a shandy that I buy him, on the premises. They're just not allowed to serve him with it directly.

I didn't say or imply that I thought 16/17yr olds arn't attempting to get into 18+ venues.. I just pointed out that doing so would be against their site licence and that, specifically; using a fake ID would be illegal.

Just because lots of people are doing something doesn't make it any more acceptable to encourage it on this site. We have rules here which are enforced.

I'm well aware that children over 5 are allowed to consume alcohol with parental agreement under specific circumstances, however this clearly isn't such a situation.
Reply 8
BUT I did find out that 16/17 years olds ARE allowed to drink beer/wine/cider in establishments that serve alcohol, they are just not allowed to buy it. Therefore, no law is broken and they would NOT lose their licence UNLESS they served her with it.

A site licence is granted by the council, not central government. The rules it contains frequently aren't laws but orders made by the council. Breaching them wouldn't be illegal but it would mean the licence is revoked and the establishment then becomes illegal for operating without a licence.

If the licence says only 18yr olds are allowed to enter (as it almost certainly does) then it doesnt matter if the under-aged are drinking there or not.
Original post by Reue
The kid is asking for advice on obtaining and using a fake ID... I'd be equally as harsh to anyone else on here asking for advice on breaking the law.

Also please don't then post advice on how to break the law.

I understand you're an official member or whatever, so I understand you're responses. However, you saying this is really taking my words out of context. I wouldn't be especially thrilled at getting a fake id since I'd be paying money for something I don't really want. Not all teenagers delight over the prospect of breaking the law.
Reply 10
I wouldn't be especially thrilled at getting a fake id since I'd be paying money for something I don't really want. Not all teenagers delight over the prospect of breaking the law.

You not being thrilled/delighted about it isn't relevant. It's against the law and we don't allow users to ask for or offer advice on how to break it.
Original post by Reue
You not being thrilled/delighted about it isn't relevant. It's against the law and we don't allow users to ask for or offer advice on how to break it.

Ok, no need to be so aggressive. I'll edit the post now.
Ok, no need to be so aggressive. I'll edit the post now.

Go to the gig and have a great time :smile:
Go to the gig and have a great time :smile:

Thank you for being considerably more helpful. Not just because you said the outcome I was pleased with, but because you actually gave advice that was relevant to my main concern. I hope you have a very good week, fine human.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending