The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do with my life?

I'm a 21 year old and I'm kinda lost at the moment. I dropped out of university because I just scrapped a pass (was doing a physics degree)by working really hard and I felt that the next year would obviously be harder and so I wouldn't be able to pass it. My gcse's are 6A* and 4A's and my A levels are B in maths C in physics and a D in biology. I'm now 21 years old with no qualifications while my friends are set to graduate and I was wondering if anyone had ideas of what would be the best to do? I was thinking apprenticeships but maybe I'm a bit too old. Was thinking of perhaps doing an accounting course like CIMA or ACCA but that's due to my parents thinking that's the best course of action. Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 1
Bump/help
You're not too old for apprenticeships. My friend is going to graduate at 26 and he's planning to do one after his degree :smile:
ACCA and CIMA are both excellent qualifications.

The only concern is that you need 3 years experience for ACCA, and it can be difficult to get good experience without any qualifications. I would not say that it is impossible though, you should check job sites and search for ACCA. Look for jobs that say you must be working through ACCA.

Also the ACCA exams are numerous and do get hard. The professional exams are meant to be as hard as a masters degree, never done it that is just what it says :P. My concern would be that if you could not pass the physics degree then you may struggle with these exams too? I guess only you can answer that question.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Thank you guys for your help. Very much appreciated!
I start uni next week. I turned 31 in June and only recently (last 2 years) can say with conviction what I want to do with my life... I left high school aged 15 (youngest in year) with GSCEs nowhere near as good as yours, had no AS/A levels or any other qualifications...

You have great GCSEs and A levels and decade on me. Don't fret, take some time out to think about what you want.. Work for a bit? Travel for a bit? Volunteer? Look into alternative forms of education/career paths...
Reply 6
Thank you. If you dont mind me asking what did you do between uni and when you left and what are you reading at university?
Original post by PrittyVacant
I start uni next week. I turned 31 in June and only recently (last 2 years) can say with conviction what I want to do with my life... I left high school aged 15 (youngest in year) with GSCEs nowhere near as good as yours, had no AS/A levels or any other qualifications...

You have great GCSEs and A levels and decade on me. Don't fret, take some time out to think about what you want.. Work for a bit? Travel for a bit? Volunteer? Look into alternative forms of education/career paths...
Original post by thefailedone
Thank you. If you dont mind me asking what did you do between uni and when you left and what are you reading at university?

I worked in retail aged 16-21 - I had a child aged 18. I then worked for an IT company on a government account, met my husband and had another two children. I was then a stay at home mother for 5 years, went to college last year to do an access course and I'm starting a social work degree :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending