The Student Room Group

Cambridge ums average help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilypadrobber
Hi

I was also unsure about how to calculate UMS average. I have heard several answers, but would like to know what it actually is. I am applying for Biological Natural Sciences.

Here are my completed AS's:
Maths: 291/300
Biology: 277/300
Chemistry: 245/300
Economics: A

I also took two modules for AS Further Maths, but haven't completed the full AS. FP1: 52 and D1: 72

What is my average UMS for Cambridge?

Also what are UMS averages for this course? Is there a percentage UMS range?
Please advise

85.67%
Original post by lilypadrobber
Hi

I was also unsure about how to calculate UMS average. I have heard several answers, but would like to know what it actually is. I am applying for Biological Natural Sciences.

Here are my completed AS's:
Maths: 291/300
Biology: 277/300
Chemistry: 245/300
Economics: A

I also took two modules for AS Further Maths, but haven't completed the full AS. FP1: 52 and D1: 72

What is my average UMS for Cambridge?

Also what are UMS averages for this course? Is there a percentage UMS range?
Please advise

I agree with Evil Fish. (All your maths including the two AS modules reduced to one % then average with Chem & Biology.)
85.67 is on the border for an interview. If you come from an excellent state or independent and have no other factors you may not get one.
The average for a NatSci offer holder is around 94-96% and to go on to achieve 3A*.
Are practicals included in the UMS averages?
Reply 23
Original post by Da Di Doo
Are practicals included in the UMS averages?

Yes. All modules are included.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all.
Just wandering if maths and further maths count as two subjects when taking the average even though they are taken together because I took maths, f maths, physics and history and did well in m, fm and phys (93.7% average) but only got around 80% for history.
Applying to engineering if that makes any difference.
Cheers
Reply 25
Original post by dgpaterson96
Hi all.
Just wandering if maths and further maths count as two subjects when taking the average even though they are taken together because I took maths, f maths, physics and history and did well in m, fm and phys (93.7% average) but only got around 80% for history.
Applying to engineering if that makes any difference.
Cheers

It's your M+FM average & Physics for Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
It's your M+FM average & Physics for Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the reply.
Cool that's what I hoped was just stressing a bit.
Thanks again
hi - just wanted advice on chances of an offer from cambridge with my as results which were a bit lower than i was hoping.
Geography - 97% ums
Eng. Lang - 85.5% ums
Psychology - 84% ums
Maths - 82% ums
i want to study geography and my gcse's were 10a* and 1a
Original post by sylvia_n_sophie
hi - just wanted advice on chances of an offer from cambridge with my as results which were a bit lower than i was hoping.
Geography - 97% ums
Eng. Lang - 85.5% ums
Psychology - 84% ums
Maths - 82% ums

I think you'd be fine with those, you'd receive an interview.

Then it'll come down to that.
Original post by sylvia_n_sophie
Geography - 97% ums
Eng. Lang - 85.5% ums
Psychology - 84% ums
Maths - 82% ums

You'll probably be invited to interview but probably may not be among the most competitive candidates, UMS wise. So it'd depend on other parts of your application, like PS/SAQ, reference, and how you perform at interviews. Also many colleges will request you to submit a past essay you've done at school (marked one).
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello, just looking for some advice. I'm tryng to choose between Oxford and Cambridge for history, and i like the courses pretty much the same at both. Just to make choosing a little easier, would an average of 89.9% UMS across three best AS level subjects be competitive for Cambridge? If not, I'll leave it- please don't be nice to be nice, brutal honesty (within reason) will be more than welcome! Thanks.
Original post by 09ONeillH
Hello, just looking for some advice. I'm tryng to choose between Oxford and Cambridge for history, and i like the courses pretty much the same at both. Just to make choosing a little easier, would an average of 89.9% UMS across three best AS level subjects be competitive for Cambridge? If not, I'll leave it- please don't be nice to be nice, brutal honesty (within reason) will be more than welcome! Thanks.

What's your UMS in each subject you did?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What's your UMS in each subject you did?

History: 182/200
Maths: 274/300
German: 175/200
Physics: 258/300

And I've dropped German for A2.
History: 182/200
Maths: 274/300
German: 175/200
Physics: 258/300

And I've dropped German for A2.

What were your GCSEs?

I think you'd receive an interview and then it'll crux on that.

Was your German written paper quite high by any chance?
What were your GCSEs?

I think you'd receive an interview and then it'll crux on that.

Was your German written paper quite high by any chance?

I got 6A* 3A 2B at GCSE.

And my German paper was 101/120, so i guess a middle A?

I got 6A* 3A 2B at GCSE.

And my German paper was 101/120, so i guess a middle A?

Last question, would you say you performed well compared to your school? Do you send many to Oxbridge a year?

I think it'll come down to your interview, you should receive one for both (although with Oxford you'd need to take the HAT)
Last question, would you say you performed well compared to your school? Do you send many to Oxbridge a year?

I think it'll come down to your interview, you should receive one for both (although with Oxford you'd need to take the HAT)

Well I can only really compare with the few people I've spoken to, but my GCSEs were certainly higher than most people in my school and my AS levels were the joint highest. And my school doesn't send many to Oxbridge at all (I believe one person got into Oxford last year).

Okay thanks for the encouragement :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Spelly456
Would they count Maths AS and A2 as one?

Yes. They count all Maths modules taken at the time of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending