The Student Room Group

Proofreading services?

I'm considering using a proofreading service like this http://jamoemills.usefedora.com/courses/write-an-oxbridge-personal-statement in order to ensure that my statement is factually correct since nobody I know has done my course. Is there any risk that it will be stolen or anything?
Original post by Sheldor
I'm considering using a proofreading service like this http://jamoemills.usefedora.com/courses/write-an-oxbridge-personal-statement in order to ensure that my statement is factually correct since nobody I know has done my course. Is there any risk that it will be stolen or anything?

Most universities will advise against you using services like these. There are tons of resources available for free on the internet to write your personal statement and of course there is always a risk when you're using proofreading services that the feedback you get will be unhelpful or that it could be stolen. In this case I think it's fairly unlikely that it'd be stolen since the owner of this website is quite a well-known person who has many videos on Oxford/University admissions on his YouTube channel but still, I'm not sure I'd recommend that people use these services. In particular, when you say "to ensure that my statement is factually correct", what do you mean by that? You're supposed to be explaining why you want to study this subject so surely you're the only person who knows if it's factually correct or not?
Original post by Plagioclase
Most universities will advise against you using services like these. There are tons of resources available for free on the internet to write your personal statement and of course there is always a risk when you're using proofreading services that the feedback you get will be unhelpful or that it could be stolen. In this case I think it's fairly unlikely that it'd be stolen since the owner of this website is quite a well-known person who has many videos on Oxford/University admissions on his YouTube channel but still, I'm not sure I'd recommend that people use these services. In particular, when you say "to ensure that my statement is factually correct", what do you mean by that? You're supposed to be explaining why you want to study this subject so surely you're the only person who knows if it's factually correct or not?

His high profile is what initially attracted me to it but I'm still a bit paranoid about something happening/ my statement getting plagiarised. And I meant it as in I discuss some books and journals that I've read academically and I've tried to make wider links to the news etc, but I'm not 100% sure if I've made valid points about the books or misinterpreted them or something? (Hence the fact-checking potential being very attractive about the service)
Original post by Sheldor
His high profile is what initially attracted me to it but I'm still a bit paranoid about something happening/ my statement getting plagiarised. And I meant it as in I discuss some books and journals that I've read academically and I've tried to make wider links to the news etc, but I'm not 100% sure if I've made valid points about the books or misinterpreted them or something? (Hence the fact-checking potential being very attractive about the service)

If you're worried about it, don't use it. I think it'll be hard for proofreaders to tell if your points are "valid" since they might not have read the books - I think you just need to assume that you have interpreted them correctly. The important thing is that you're explaining why those books have improved your understanding of your subject and how they have influenced your decision to apply for your subject. I think this here is quite a good video to watch.
If you're worried about it, don't use it. I think it'll be hard for proofreaders to tell if your points are "valid" since they might not have read the books - I think you just need to assume that you have interpreted them correctly. The important thing is that you're explaining why those books have improved your understanding of your subject and how they have influenced your decision to apply for your subject. I think this here is quite a good video to watch.

That's quite a good point actually, thank you so much! (the video seems very useful so far too)
Reply 5

Hey :smile:

I was just thread browsing and saw you post the link to this video - although I'm not due to go to university until Sept. 2017, I'd like to thank you soooo much for that video. It's absolutely fantastic!!
Original post by Inexorably
Hey :smile:

I was just thread browsing and saw you post the link to this video - although I'm not due to go to university until Sept. 2017, I'd like to thank you soooo much for that video. It's absolutely fantastic!!

It's a brilliant video, I've probably watched it about 20 times!
Reply 7
It's a brilliant video, I've probably watched it about 20 times!

Absolutely! That woman is a fantastic speaker.
Not to mention all the great resources on TSR - linked in my signature :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending