The Student Room Group

Dreadful DSA asessemnt

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dan2194
I never originally planned to go to uni, I was going to do a HND at a college where I did not need DSA . This got cancelled on August 13th and I was left with only 2 options. One travel 30 miles to the another college that offered a HND that started in Early September or BSc at local university which I had not consider before. At this short notice there just was not enough time to sort out my support. As a visual learner I know that uni is not for me. I do no process verbal information
I hope will be able sort a HND course for next year.

It certainly seems that this cloud had a silver lining for you. At least it crystallised what you really want to do next - sounds like you've had a narrow escape, which is great news :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Jenx301
woahhhhh, calm down :smile:

Don't cancel your student finance and quit uni just yet! Can you contact your universities student support department and ask them to help you get it sorted? If not try and ring/reply to DSA yourself and explain what you think is wrong with their recommendations and what you think you need.

As I did not ever start , I guess I never quitted

Brighton university is was a outdated dump , I have the say the disability team there could wait to get their do gooding claws into me. They really had a ignorant view of autism , they think it a mental health disorder and that autistic people need to fit in by learning to be less autistic. one of the questions I was ask was
" What parts of you are not autistic". and another was" have you every had CBT" I did not know what that was but my carer told me is a kind of self therapy, there 5 of coffee shops , if you like spending you money on coffee.
sorry nothing was better than something
Reply 22
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
[
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Mee00
Student finance is very stressful

I agree with you, the DSA part was a nightmare for me having to send information to the DSA team who the tell you to make an appointment at a assessment center , then you required to send on everything to them and fill in a pre assessment form. They should be paying me for all the admin i had to undertake. then the assessor turned up 10 min late and then it was really a case of him filing in his computer program trying to make it seem the whole process was not as fake as it really was!
Reply 27
Original post by Dan2194
I agree with you, the DSA part was a nightmare for me having to send information to the DSA team who the tell you to make an appointment at a assessment center , then you required to send on everything to them and fill in a pre assessment form. They should be paying me for all the admin i had to undertake. then the assessor turned up 10 min late and then it was really a case of him filing in his computer program trying to make it seem the whole process was not as fake as it really was!

It sucks
Reply 28
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Dan2194
and on top of that this year i had to cope with ESA and atos assessment this year, and i waited 11 months for the atos/ maxius assessment i was in there 10 mins with a assessor who had a indian accent and spoke so fast i could not understand a word , luckily i had my carer with me, so never gone alone, and i was placed in the ESA support group for that , but applying for ESA that's is lots of forms to complete . i got indefinite for DLA last year but like may i waiting for another brown thing to come though my door for yet another assessment for PIP. when i am suppose to live??????

Oh i recently applied for ESA and theyve backdated my money and payed me but does that me its been approved? And im sure itll come soon or tomorrow call them
Reply 30
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dan2194
First I had a letter about the backdated money and then a second letter almost the next day saying I had been awarded £125 a week and how it would be played eg every 2 weeks on a Thursday and then I found out from Disabilityrights uk that as student finance was available to me , I would have to accept the maintenance loan because if you don't they treat you like you have with regard to deducting you ESA. so you have no choice but to accept more debt, on top of that I did get the special support grant which is not available from 2016/2017 due to government cuts.

You don't have to accept the loan. But they'll count it as income whether you take it or not.
Reply 32
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest