The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by buckeybarnes
OK I don't have time for your negative attitude because I want to live my life, and I want to let others live their lives undisturbed. What gives you the right to try and invalidate people just because that's your opinion? What makes you think you are so superior to others that your opinion should be law and people who are trying to live their own lives need to bow down to your jurisdiction? Get some fresh air and change with the times or be left grovelling in the past.

Because you and your ilk are actively cooperating with a mental disorder, despite the obvious, objective proof that you're actually encouraging thousands of people to throw their lives down the toilet. Have you seen suicide rates for post-transition GID sufferers? Off the charts.

Your attitude is murdering some of the most vulnerable people in our society, who need compassion and understanding, not encouragement. I won't stop going on about this until people recognise that something needs to change. And I don't blame the vast majority of people - but individuals like yourself, who actively encourage it, have blood on your hands.
Original post by jape
Because you and your ilk are actively cooperating with a mental disorder, despite the obvious, objective proof that you're actually encouraging thousands of people to throw their lives down the toilet. Have you seen suicide rates for post-transition GID sufferers? Off the charts.

Your attitude is murdering some of the most vulnerable people in our society, who need compassion and understanding, not encouragement. I won't stop going on about this until people recognise that something needs to change. And I don't blame the vast majority of people - but individuals like yourself, who actively encourage it, have blood on your hands.

Suicide rates post-op mainly sky-rocket due to things people like you do, such as transphobia, death threats, rape.. anything along those lines. People who are transgender will live their happiest life transitioning, but it is people like you who have something against them that cause them to commit suicide. Did you know approximately 50% of trans people experience sexual violence? So don't you dare say that I have blood on my hands for accepting people for who they are. You are the reason that they feel like they have no hope.

I have a friend who is transitioning from male to female. She cried with happiness the day she finally got her Oestrogen pills, and had serious suicidal thoughts and tendencies when she was kicked out by her parents for being trans (I imagine that you would probably kick out your child if they were trans.)
Her suicidal thoughts were caused by transphobia and neglect from the people she loved, not the transition. She is healthy and happy now she is able to transition, and I would never take this chance from her. Your cold attitude disturbs me greatly, have a heart.
Suicide rates post-op mainly sky-rocket due to things people like you do, such as transphobia, death threats, rape.. anything along those lines. People who are transgender will live their happiest life transitioning, but it is people like you who have something against them that cause them to commit suicide. Did you know approximately 50% of trans people experience sexual violence? So don't you dare say that I have blood on my hands for accepting people for who they are. You are the reason that they feel like they have no hope.

I have a friend who is transitioning from male to female. She cried with happiness the day she finally got her Oestrogen pills, and had serious suicidal thoughts and tendencies when she was kicked out by her parents for being trans (I imagine that you would probably kick out your child if they were trans.)
Her suicidal thoughts were caused by transphobia and neglect from the people she loved, not the transition. She is healthy and happy now she is able to transition, and I would never take this chance from her. Your cold attitude disturbs me greatly, have a heart.

Mate you have been owned with the evidence.

As for people with the view it is a psychological problem causing high suicide rates post op have a laugh! Do you think he, I or the others on here are going up to trans people to bash them?

I can speak for myself and say no. It's highly unlikely they are too.

You can go down the line of tenacity of belief instead of evidence based if you like but it doesn't make you right just because you and the other sheep keep bleating it's.

Baa

Good morning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deciding to not date a trans woman isn't what would make your choice transphobic, since that's a matter of preference. But denying their identity by saying you want to date a woman is what makes it transphobic.
Original post by paul514
Mate you have been owned with the evidence.

As for people with the view it is a psychological problem causing high suicide rates post op have a laugh! Do you think he, I or the others on here are going up to trans people to bash them?

I can speak for myself and say no. It's highly unlikely they are too.

You can go down the line of tenacity of belief instead of evidence based if you like but it doesn't make you right just because you and the other sheep keep bleating it's.

Baa

Good morning

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg lmao stop im literally done i have better things to do than comment on this thread
Original post by SophieBarlow87
7ts not the terminology is the fact. Its considered transphobic because youre not acknowledging their gender, youre saying that a transwoman is not a woman, thus saying that her identity isnt real. If you said a gay man wasnt a real man but you didnt dislike them in any way, that would still be quite homophobic would it not?

It might not be true, or it might be considered rude, but it wouldn't be homophobic. "Phobia" is not a denial of any fact, it's an irrational, negative feeling towards something, or a fear of something.
The act of not wanting to date a trans woman isn't necessarily transphobic since you can date who you want, your actions may be transphobic however
Original post by tazarooni89
It might not be true, or it might be considered rude, but it wouldn't be homophobic. "Phobia" is not a denial of any fact, it's an irrational, negative feeling towards something, or a fear of something.

It would actually be classed as homophobic. The strict definition of phobia is an irrational fear wherras most homophobic people arent actually scared of gay people
Its not inherently transphobic not to date someone, if youre simple not interested. However if your reasoning is that you want to date a woman, its nit the objection itself that is transphobic, more the fact that you wouldnt consider that person a woman.

isn't it more their body isn't that of a womans - however much surgery they have had they will never truly have a female body. I know there are ones that are hot out there but they have probably spent upwards of £100,000. i.e. incredibly rare.

because according to your idea you could be transphobic for not dating someone who is a man but feels like a woman. i.e. no surgery and wears mens clothes still but feels like a woman inside
Original post by sqwertylol
isn't it more their body isn't that of a womans - however much surgery they have had they will never truly have a female body. I know there are ones that are hot out there but they have probably spent upwards of £100,000. i.e. incredibly rare.

because according to your idea you could be transphobic for not dating someone who is a man but feels like a woman. i.e. no surgery and wears mens clothes still but feels like a woman inside

The fact is that someine like that will probably not be attractive to someone who is attracted to women and thats fine. But the idea of swearing off transwomen because "they arent real women" is transphibic brcause of that implication. If you are simpley not attracted to someone obviousky thats fine, but if you are simply saying trans women are not attractive that is a huge generalization and is therefore transphobic.
The fact is that someine like that will probably not be attractive to someone who is attracted to women and thats fine. But the idea of swearing off transwomen because "they arent real women" is transphibic brcause of that implication. If you are simpley not attracted to someone obviousky thats fine, but if you are simply saying trans women are not attractive that is a huge generalization and is therefore transphobic.

I understand your point. But in real life is it unreasonable to not want to date someone who was formally a man?
Like in the show Dirty Sanchez where they went to thailand and kissed the girls they thought were real girls and rejected the lady boys. But in the end they got it wrong and kissed the ladyboys because they couldnt tell. When they were told which was which they were disgusted and I felt empathy with them. It was grim. And they looked all the same, was impossible to tell
Original post by Anonymous
So there's this new series that has started in the UK called 'Boy meets Girl'. It's about how this guy and a transwoman meet and whatever - don't think I'll be watching it, but it's had good reviews.

Anyway, in the series, he accepts what she is and continues to date her.

But what if I was in the guy's situation and I said no, that I wouldn't want to date her... is that transphobic?

If my reasoning is because I want to date a woman?

If you want people to accept transgenderism, shouldn't we have to accept that a lot of people, like me, don't want to date them?

I don't look down on transexuals. I think they're incredibly brave and should be allowed to do whatever they please... but I feel trapped if I deny them.

Spoiler!
Its not inherently transphobic not to date someone, if youre simple not interested. However if your reasoning is that you want to date a woman, its nit the objection itself that is transphobic, more the fact that you wouldnt consider that person a woman.

Because they're not women
Reply 53
It's a preference of yours, not transphobia. It's fine if you prefer men over women. Fine if you prefer Asians over Europeans. Grannies over teenagers. Fine if you want your first child to be your partner's first too rather than their tenth. Fine to prefer someone with experience than a virgin. If anyone has issue with your preferences (some may be inappropriate to act upon though, like if you had a thing for babies) they can get lost - what are they trying to do, guilt you into being with someone? That's not going to end well for anyone even if they do it properly as a forced marriage.

Original post by EllainKahlo
It's not transphobic necessarily to reject a transwoman. You don't have to date anyone you don't feel comfortable dating. The reason people are offended is because essentially they are female, they may not have been born female or have had the surgery yet or ever, and you don't have to settle for them if you don't want to, but that doesn't change that they are a woman. Saying you want to date a woman and not them is obviously then offensive to their whole being and identity. It's just like having a girl say to guy, who was born male, I only want to date a man. He identifies as a man, so whatever her definition of a man doesn't matter in terms of his feelings, she's offended his sense of identity.

Just picking up on this because it's at the bottom of the page. Would you be offended if someone called you a man rather than a woman (I'm going by your pink Venus symbol)? If someone turned me down saying I was a woman, whilst I'd be upset that I didn't get what I was going for, I would probably feel something along the lines of confusion before relief and amusement set in at what I'd managed to avoid.

Admittedly a transexual is likely far less secure in their sex as they don't take it for granted like most people do, but to find being called the other sex offensive says something about the subject's attitude towards the other sex.
Reply 54
So there's this new series that has started in the UK called 'Boy meets Girl'. It's about how this guy and a transwoman meet and whatever - don't think I'll be watching it, but it's had good reviews.

Anyway, in the series, he accepts what she is and continues to date her.

But what if I was in the guy's situation and I said no, that I wouldn't want to date her... is that transphobic?

If you want people to accept transgenderism, shouldn't we have to accept that a lot of people, like me, don't want to date them?

I don't look down on transexuals. I think they're incredibly brave and should be allowed to do whatever they please... but I feel trapped if I deny them.

I think when it comes to dating that no-one should be called transphobic or size-ist or any other label because the initial decision on whether or not you're going to date somebody is based on attraction. If you're not attracted to them for whatever reason then you decide not to date them...it doesn't matter what the reason is at all because it's down to personal taste at the end of the day.
Outside of dating everyone should be given equal opportunities etc.

Okay, so you wouldn't want to date a trans person, but your reasoning is stupid. (No offense) A trans woman is (now this is a shocker) a woman. A trans man (hold on, another shock coming) a man. A person is their preferred gender because gender is all mental rather than physical, hens non-binary genders.
Please don't ever tell a trans woman you "want to date a woman" because how do you think you would feel if (I'm assuming you are a man, feel free to correct me if I am wrong), someone said they wouldn't date you because they wanted to go out with a real man? Even if that is the reason, make something else up. Say anything else. But never let them know it's because they are trans, because they can't help that.
Original post by Hopple
It's a preference of yours, not transphobia. It's fine if you prefer men over women. Fine if you prefer Asians over Europeans. Grannies over teenagers. Fine if you want your first child to be your partner's first too rather than their tenth. Fine to prefer someone with experience than a virgin. If anyone has issue with your preferences (some may be inappropriate to act upon though, like if you had a thing for babies) they can get lost - what are they trying to do, guilt you into being with someone? That's not going to end well for anyone even if they do it properly as a forced marriage.

Just picking up on this because it's at the bottom of the page. Would you be offended if someone called you a man rather than a woman (I'm going by your pink Venus symbol)? If someone turned me down saying I was a woman, whilst I'd be upset that I didn't get what I was going for, I would probably feel something along the lines of confusion before relief and amusement set in at what I'd managed to avoid.

Admittedly a transexual is likely far less secure in their sex as they don't take it for granted like most people do, but to find being called the other sex offensive says something about the subject's attitude towards the other sex.

I'd be offended but at least I would know I have biology on my side whereas, like you said, it would probably hurt a transsexual person more since they know many people would share that sentiment and their gender could be seen as a debatable matter despite what they feel is concrete. Regardless, they're being called something they feel is the opposite to who they are so it's understandably upsetting.
Reply 57
omg lmao stop im literally done i have better things to do than comment on this thread

Damn. Maybe we were wrong. You've sure shown us.
Reply 58
Original post by EllainKahlo
I'd be offended but at least I would know I have biology on my side whereas, like you said, it would probably hurt a transsexual person more since they know many people would share that sentiment and their gender could be seen as a debatable matter despite what they feel is concrete. Regardless, they're being called something they feel is the opposite to who they are so it's understandably upsetting.

But, is there anything wrong with someone calling you the other sex? It's as wrong as someone seeing you have brown hair (for example, I don't know) and saying you have blonde hair. It's wrong insofar as it being incorrect, but I wouldn't be taking offence at it. Persistently saying it could become harassment, but the statement itself should not be hurtful unless the subject feels that there is something wrong with being the other gender or blonde, and then that's their issue to deal with.

My reaction to "You're a woman/blonde" would be along the lines of "Okay, whatever". Or at least, that's what I feel it should be rather than being offended, because really, there isn't anything wrong with being a woman or blonde, is there? It's very different to someone actually attacking by saying "You're lazy" or "You're an idiot" which are bad.

What would you actually do if someone called you a man? To go back to the original situation, how about if they turned down your request for a date saying you were a man?
Original post by paul514
So funny people trying to separate sex and gender. Sex is gender! Born with a penis? You're a man.

You can throw a dress on and slap on some rouge..... Still a man.

You can mutilate your penis and have it inverted...... Still a man, just one who mutilated himself.

It doesn't mean we can't treat these people with kindness and respect just like anyone else who has delusional beliefs, but don't expect to colour in an apple with orange paint and then expect me to call it an orange..... It's a painted Apple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My exact views

Latest

Trending

Trending