The Student Room Group

Preparation of benzoic acid by hydrolysis of ethyl benzoate

What's the equation for the preparation of benzoic acid by hydrolysis of ethyl benzoate? Thanks
Original post by Pheonixfeather3
What's the equation for the preparation of benzoic acid by hydrolysis of ethyl benzoate? Thanks

If you want benzoic acid, you'll want to use acid hydrolysis with either dilute HCl or dilute H2SO4. You'll end up making benzoic acid and ethanol.

If this helps, try to write the balanced equation for it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Laurasaur
If you want benzoic acid, you'll want to use acid hydrolysis with either dilute HCl or dilute H2SO4. You'll end up making benzoic acid and ethanol.

If this helps, try to write the balanced equation for it.

I used HCl, I have most of my report written but can't for the life of me figure out the balanced equation.
I used HCl, I have most of my report written but can't for the life of me figure out the balanced equation.

The key word is 'dilute' HCl, which means that there is another more important molecule involved :wink:

The H+ from HCl acts as a catalyst.
(edited 8 years ago)
The key word is 'dilute' HCl, which means that there is another more important molecule involved :wink:

C9H10O2+ NaOH + HCl - C7H6O2 + NaCl + H2O
that's what I've managed to get so far, and I've genuinely spent about an hour trying to balance it. Is it balancable?
Reply 5
that's what I've managed to get so far, and I've genuinely spent about an hour trying to balance it. Is it balancable?

You end up with a bit of a mess if you add NaOH. The NaOH will react with HCl to produce NaCl and H2O in preference to ethyl benzoate.
(edited 8 years ago)

What level are you, A level? If so, which exam board? Just for reference so I know what kind of answer to give you.

You seem to have lost 2 carbon atoms somewhere, make sure you add in the ethanol to the products.
Original post by Maker
You end up with sodium chloride and ethyl benzoate and water.

Wait... how do I end up with ethyl benzoate if the reaction gave me benzoic acid crystals?
What level are you, A level? If so, which exam board? Just for reference so I know what kind of answer to give you.

You seem to have lost 2 carbon atoms somewhere, make sure you add in the ethanol to the products.

SQA advanced higher, so equivalent to second year of a level
Reply 9
Wait... how do I end up with ethyl benzoate if the reaction gave me benzoic acid crystals?

Are you sure its not NaCl crystals you have instead or as well as benzoic acid or sodium benzoate? NaOH will react more with HCl than ethyl benzoate.

Do a melting point test to see what you have.
(edited 8 years ago)
SQA advanced higher, so equivalent to second year of a level

Okay! I'd say the NaOH and HCl react to form NaCl and, importantly, H2O. It is the H2O that then reacts with the ester, breaking it up into a carboxylic acid and an alcohol. :smile: try that. Ester + water -> alcohol + carboxylic acid.

Then try to incorporate the NaOH and HCl, remembering that the water produced has been used up in the alcohol and carboxylic acid. So you won't need to write H2O on the right hand side.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Are you sure its not NaCl crystals you have instead or as well as benzoic acid or sodium benzoate? NaOH will react more with HCl than ethyl benzoate.

Do a melting point test to see what you have.

Done the melting point, got benzoic acid. The experiment is for benzoic acid.

Okay! I'd say the NaOH and HCl react to form NaCl and, importantly, H2O. It is the H2O that then reacts with the ester, breaking it up into a carboxylic acid and an alcohol. :smile: try that. Ester + water -> alcohol + carboxylic acid.

Oh my god thank you!
Oh my god thank you!

No problem, took me a while to figure that out too! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest