The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1960
Hi! New to the thread, going into my third year of Biomedical Science at Southampton :smile:

I was wondering which GEM courses you think it would be best to apply to with a high UKCAT score but limited work experience? And also if non UKCAT unis (Birmingham, Bristol) would be a waste of an application in this case?

Thanks!!
How's everyone getting on with personal statements and such? I'm finding it really hard to keep under the limit!
Original post by calmsmile93
I'm pretty sure Birmingham may accept some 2.1 degrees, so long as you compensate with higher A Levels (AAA seems fine). They stated this at the open day. They may require a chemistry A Level but not too sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know for a fact Birmingham want a first. I think if you have 69 or 68 at a push they may look at your other academics. But otherwise you need a first, from past experience of my friends applying with similar academics. But ring them and find out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LilithSternin
How's everyone getting on with personal statements and such? I'm finding it really hard to keep under the limit!

I'm okay - I made a list in order of importance of all of my experiences and then wrote as much as I could off the list. Even managed to sneak my University Challenge stuff in at the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SPT95
Hi! New to the thread, going into my third year of Biomedical Science at Southampton :smile:

I was wondering which GEM courses you think it would be best to apply to with a high UKCAT score but limited work experience? And also if non UKCAT unis (Birmingham, Bristol) would be a waste of an application in this case?

Thanks!!

Hey! I'm a third year biomedical scientist at Southampton too :smile:

Kings, Newcastle and Southampton would be good choices if you have a high UKCAT. Warwick require 70 hours of work experience over the last two years so if you have less than that I'd recommend avoiding there.
Original post by Clunkles
I'm okay - I made a list in order of importance of all of my experiences and then wrote as much as I could off the list. Even managed to sneak my University Challenge stuff in at the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like the idea of ranking in order of importance before writing, I'll have to try that! Where are you applying to?
Original post by SPT95

Thanks!!

For Birmingham, you have to have already graduated at the time of application, so you can't apply when in your third year, unfortunately.
I like the idea of ranking in order of importance before writing, I'll have to try that! Where are you applying to?

I did well in my UKCAT (747.5 avg) so I'm going for Newcastle, Southampton, Kings and Barts :smile:
So in my PS, I wrote about caring for my friend with BPD and chronic fatigue, HIV clinic, trolley service on wards, little bit about my dissertation (phosphate levels causing diabetes patients to have a greater incidence of CV disease), society roles (chair of Labour soc, so a lot of talking to people), part time officer at my SU, and then proper extracurriculars like instruments, sports, uni challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did well in my UKCAT (747.5 avg) so I'm going for Newcastle, Southampton, Kings and Barts :smile:
So in my PS, I wrote about caring for my friend with BPD and chronic fatigue, HIV clinic, trolley service on wards, little bit about my dissertation (phosphate levels causing diabetes patients to have a greater incidence of CV disease), society roles (chair of Labour soc, so a lot of talking to people), part time officer at my SU, and then proper extracurriculars like instruments, sports, uni challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's a great score! I'm incredibly keen on Newcastle, I scored an average of 737.5 so I'm crossing my fingers it'll make the cut-off level for there!
Ah that's a great score! I'm incredibly keen on Newcastle, I scored an average of 737.5 so I'm crossing my fingers it'll make the cut-off level for there!

That's good too! I think we're both in with a shot for Newcastle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wciselko
I got 732.5 and at the stage of brainstorming for my personal statement! I think Newcastle and King's don't even read the statement before interviews. I'm appyling the same places mentioned (Newcastle, Southampton, King's and QM). I think we should get the ineterviews right? I am really counting on that.

Confident(ish) for Newcastle and Southampton, Kings look at some other stuff and Barts looks at degrees 50:50 with UKCAT. I'll have a 1st predicted, but no masters or phd so feeling a bit shaky on that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just been told by my personal tutor that she's not allowed to provide a predicted degree class in references. This can't be right, can it?
Original post by Natha_Lite
Just been told by my personal tutor that she's not allowed to provide a predicted degree class in references. This can't be right, can it?

My personal tutor did...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wait, did you include some "to be completed" modules when you put your degree in on ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wait, did you include some "to be completed" modules when you put your degree in on ucas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't sent her the reference request yet so it's not to do with the UCAS form. She just said she can't give me a predicted class because it's not 'fixed', whatever that means...
I haven't sent her the reference request yet so it's not to do with the UCAS form. She just said she can't give me a predicted class because it's not 'fixed', whatever that means...

Idk what to say then! My personal tutor was pretty chill with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those going into their third year this September, when you filled in your education section under your degree did you input all the modules you have done to date? And if so, when asked about the result did you simply just type in the percentage?

Also, when is the latest we can send the reference request to our personal tutor/referee? Would it be before we send off our application next month?
Original post by ohmyBEAUT
For those going into their third year this September, when you filled in your education section under your degree did you input all the modules you have done to date? And if so, when asked about the result did you simply just type in the percentage?

Also, when is the latest we can send the reference request to our personal tutor/referee? Would it be before we send off our application next month?

Yes, I just put the percentages down, and included next (this?) years modules with "pending" as the grade. :smile: I would advise sending off your reference request asap, academics are generally really busy and it'll be a good hour or two of their time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I just put the percentages down, and included next (this?) years modules with "pending" as the grade. :smile: I would advise sending off your reference request asap, academics are generally really busy and it'll be a good hour or two of their time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
For Newcastle and any other uni who requires evidence of sustained academic endeavours, does anyone have any idea who we prove that? I did my gamsat last year, do they get the results for that even if they're not a gamsat uni? Should I just mention it in my PS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending