The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Best rivalry games were the Redknapp/AVB Wenger battles around 09-13. Both teams have wisened up defensively and Spurs are **** to watch with the absence of Bale+Modric so they're generally borefests now.
Don't get me wrong martial scored a very good goal in a big game on his debut, but when the commentator is shouting "he's worth every penny!!!" In the aftermath you have to step back and say what?! Here scored when his side are 2-1 up with 2 minutes to go, he's wrapped a big game up yes, but he hasn't WON any points by scoring and it would have taken a monumental cock up to not win from 2-1 before he scored.
Time will tell he certainly has potential but the irony of Luke saying we're getting gassed over a 3rd clean sheet in a row and ANOTHER excellent performance by a relative cheap CB and not calling united fans or over being gassed over martial is extremely #salty imo
Must say I loved that cheeky elbow in the face by gab after the Stoke striker was giving him the elbows, exactly the kind of aggression our defense needs, as the Ox would say that was straight out of the favelas
When their own teams are losing, they just want to detract attention away from their own clubs therefore "wum" us out of desperation
Original post by jam277
Best rivalry games were the Redknapp/AVB Wenger battles around 09-13. Both teams have wisened up defensively and Spurs are **** to watch with the absence of Bale+Modric so they're generally borefests now.

The entire PL's rivalries are a shadow of their former selves. To be fair, the Arsenal and United meeting last year in the cup did some way to recapture the old spirit of the 1990s, and Mourinho/Wenger's meetings are always tasty, but there's little else to get your blood pumping these days.

Yesterday's match at Old Trafford was a joke, really. I watched Atleti against Barcelona after, and it was chalk and cheese. We couldn't hold a candle to them, and it's a damning indictment that that is the PL's marquee match to the overseas market.
City united is surely better now than our was 10 years ago....
Original post by leinad2012
City united is surely better now than our was 10 years ago....

Obviously, but Arsenal-United, United-Liverpool, the NLD have all dwindled somewhat.

I think we'll find this season that the Merseyside derby isn't the same without Gerrard, either.
Original post by Mackay
Obviously, but Arsenal-United, United-Liverpool, the NLD have all dwindled somewhat.

I think we'll find this season that the Merseyside derby isn't the same without Gerrard, either.

Completely agree but I do often think the derbies look better in hindsight. No doubt the nld, Merseyside and united liverpool Derby are worse now
(edited 8 years ago)
Gabriel giving elbows to Arnautovic. Lad is the beast from the favelas dishing out out Max Payne.
Reply 6849
Arnautovic is a prick, glad Gab elbowed him.

Still can't believe he got nothing for the Debuchy challenge last year
tbf he deserve an elbow to the face for sporting that top not
Completely agree but I do often think the derbies look better in hindsight. No doubt the nld, Merseyside and united liverpool Derby are worse now

You may have something there. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I would not rule out a signing in January, Wenger is like that, more a subtle and gradual team builder. If that is what we need to give an extra push he'll buy. The Gabriel signing shows he is not totally illogical in January transfer windows.
Leicester come down from 2-0 to make it 3-2. Down to fourth with Chelsea next. COYG!
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Leicester come down from 2-0 to make it 3-2. Down to fourth with Chelsea next. COYG!

You must be confident on current form. Other than the 5-3 I can't remember Arsenal winning at SB in god knows how many years...
Original post by sr90
You must be confident on current form. Other than the 5-3 I can't remember Arsenal winning at SB in god knows how many years...

We have to go there and play out of our skin, it's a derby, no free wins in these games. With Gabriel, Kos, Coquelin and Cech I am confident we have the best defence we have had since the invincibles.
Ahhh it feels good to be back where we belong in 4th :colone:

First time i'm feeling confident going to SB, so a humiliating 2-0 defeat where the tactics are completely off is definitely on the cards :frown:
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
We have to go there and play out of our skin, it's a derby, no free wins in these games. With Gabriel, Kos, Coquelin and Cech I am confident we have the best defence we have had since the invincibles.

100% agree with this, Coq has some absolutely incredible stats when you look at them, even Bellerin and Monreal are playing exceptionally. My worry now is, will we go and try to play them off the park, rather than go there with a gameplan?
100% agree with this, Coq has some absolutely incredible stats when you look at them, even Bellerin and Monreal are playing exceptionally. My worry now is, will we go and try to play them off the park, rather than go there with a gameplan?

We will have a gameplan because its Jose. Whether it works or not is another matter. Wenger is not totally dumb.

And p.s. my conclusion on both Cazorla and Ozil is that they are both fair weather players. Actually think that Giroud is unfairly treated because he can't really score in big games if his supply is not up to scratch. Logically speaking, I think he is good enough to finish against the best teams now. He has proven himself able to do so.

The whole point of Cazorla and Ozil being in the team is that they dictate the tempo of the game (transitions, pre-assists etc) and play the incisive passes, which to be honest they have largely failed to do against big teams. Love Ozil, but fair is fair. They disappear and when they do the play of the team becomes disjointed because we are so reliant on their playmaking ability.
How we feeling about Dinamo Zagreb boys and girls?

Latest