The Student Room Group

Realistic chances in achieving my dream?

hi, I've just started year 12 studying History, English Literature history of Art and then want to do Art as an AS and drop it at the end of year 12. I am hoping to go on to study at a russell group university (my ideal and first choice being Bristol) studying either English literature or History. I would then like to go onto do a postgrad in either one of the two and perhaps become a university lecturer. this is my absolute dream and I am passionate about doing this. However am I being unrealistic, I achieved 4A*'s ( two of which were for english lit and history), 3 A's and 5 B's. Am I entertaining an improbable idea or is there a chance i could really do this?
Most unis, including the RG ones care more about your A-levels than your GCSEs. Your GCSEs are good though, so they should not hinder you at all. The only RG uni I know that really cares about your GCSEs is Oxford, so they may not let you in but Bristol most likely would. Just get AAB and above and you'll have a good chance :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EllainKahlo
Most unis, including the RG ones care more about your A-levels than your GCSEs. Your GCSEs are good though, so they should not hinder you at all. The only RG uni I know that really cares about your GCSEs is Oxford, so they may not let you in but Bristol most likely would. Just get AAB and above and you'll have a good chance :smile:

thank you so so much that has made me feel much more confident :smile:
Original post by RosieFitter
thank you so so much that has made me feel much more confident :smile:

You're welcome, I wished someone told me that when I'd just finished my GCSEs because I didn't know what I was doing. You got better GCSEs then I did and mine made no difference to my application, all unis ask for the minimum C in maths and english as well as three other C or above grades.
Reply 4
Original post by EllainKahlo
You're welcome, I wished someone told me that when I'd just finished my GCSEs because I didn't know what I was doing. You got better GCSEs then I did and mine made no difference to my application, all unis ask for the minimum C in maths and english as well as three other C or above grades.

oh okay, yeah its really hard to get good advice, hence why I signed up to the student room which has turned out to be really good!

Quick Reply

Latest