The Student Room Group

What six forms are good in London?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Hey,
First of all, Hydeman - my friend (who is now in year 12) was constantly getting E/Fs on her physics exams and ended up at the end of her GCSEs with 5 A*s, 4 As and a B.....
Maria1812 - (I'm presuming you're in year 10 - but correct me if I'm wrong), there are a lot of private schools in London that do very well and offer high bursaries and scholarships. On TSR however, I've heard that the teaching at Henrietta isn't the best... But they're just rumours.
If you want to find good schools near you, go onto good schools guide and then compare their results. Also look around here, there are a lot of threads about Sixth forms in London.
I hope this helped... :smile:

Do you know any good private schools in London. I really wish i could go to ashbourne independent sixth form college as I don't like that far away from it and it is really good. But the fees are 7500 per term i think, so i cannot afford it. I read what they said on their website about scholarships but i do not understand what they are saying on their website. I also would like to go to albamarle but it also has expensive fees, i read on their website about scholarships and what i understood from it is there are scholarships only for students from abroad, I'm not sure if I read it right so someone correct me please. Can someone please tell me about scholarships in ashbourne and albamarle
Original post by DeadEnd_96
To be honest the only aspect they really care about is your predicted GCSE grades, they don't look at anything else. The more A* 's you are predicted the higher the chance you get a place at your chosen Sixth Form/College. Extra curricular activities do help your application but they not as significant as you predicted GCSE results. So make sure you aim for all A* 's at GCSE.

Okay, so I know this is going to sound really stupid, but I'm a really paranoid person so - of course they look at predicted grades, but they also look at the GCSE results you've received from year eight, nine, ten too, right?
Reply 62
Hey,
First of all, Hydeman - my friend (who is now in year 12) was constantly getting E/Fs on her physics exams and ended up at the end of her GCSEs with 5 A*s, 4 As and a B.....
Maria1812 - (I'm presuming you're in year 10 - but correct me if I'm wrong), there are a lot of private schools in London that do very well and offer high bursaries and scholarships. On TSR however, I've heard that the teaching at Henrietta isn't the best... But they're just rumours.
If you want to find good schools near you, go onto good schools guide and then compare their results. Also look around here, there are a lot of threads about Sixth forms in London.
I hope this helped... :smile:

Do you know by any chance how can i get a scholarship? What are bursaries? What sixth forms should I try and get a scholarship to and how do you apply for one and when?
Original post by cherryblossoming
Okay, so I know this is going to sound really stupid, but I'm a really paranoid person so - of course they look at predicted grades, but they also look at the GCSE results you've received from year eight, nine, ten too, right?

Yes of course, if you have taken any GCSE's early in year 8,9 or 10 they are still considered and might give you a slight advantage. I achieved an A* in GCSE Maths a year early and they considered it.
Reply 64
Yes of course, if you have taken any GCSE's early in year 8,9 or 10 they are still considered and might give you a slight advantage. I achieved an A* in GCSE Maths a year early and they considered it.

What A levels are you doing by the way?
Original post by Maria1812
What A levels are you doing by the way?

I am studying Maths, Chemistry and Psychology at A2.
Reply 66
I am studying Maths, Chemistry and Psychology at A2.

I thought at a level you do four subjects. How hard is maths and chemistry? What subjects do you do and what exam board are you doing for maths and chemistry?
I thought at a level you do four subjects. How hard is maths and chemistry? What subjects do you do and what exam board are you doing for maths and chemistry?

At AS level you normally study 4 subjects so I chose Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. I then dropped Biology and continued the other three subjects onto A2.

Maths (Edexcel)
Chemistry (AQA)

Maths is quite challenging but not incredibly hard. You just need to practice past papers over, over and over again to really do well. Chemistry can be very tough at times. So far its ok but I assume that it will get more tougher throughout the year. Understanding certain concepts can be tricky, but once you have got it then your fine. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 68
At AS level you normally study 4 subjects so I chose Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. I then dropped Biology and continued the other three subjects onto A2.

Maths (Edexcel)
Chemistry (AQA)

Maths is quite challenging but not incredibly hard. You just need to practice past papers over, over and over again to really do well. Chemistry can be very tough at times. So far its ok but I assume that it will get more tougher throughout the year. Understanding certain concepts can be tricky, but once you have got it then your fine. :smile:

Was biology really hard so you dropped it? How long did you do biology for before you dropped it? I'm trying to revise science but I'm struggling I looked at past papers but its hard to understand some concepts without a proper explanation. What did you get in science for GCSE and maths? What do you want to study in uni and do when you're older (occupation)?
Was biology really hard so you dropped it? How long did you do biology for before you dropped it? I'm trying to revise science but I'm struggling I looked at past papers but its hard to understand some concepts without a proper explanation. What did you get in science for GCSE and maths? What do you want to study in uni and do when you're older (occupation)?

I dropped it because I didn't think I would be able to achieve at least an A or A* in it. The exam questions are slightly strange as sometimes I find it difficult to find the exact answers the examiners are looking or. Also there are a lot of "suggest" questions in Biology where the examiner expects you to use what you have learnt from the specification and your common knowledge/sense to come up with your own answer. I really struggled with these type of questions at AS so I dropped it. Also the Biology teachers at my Sixth Form are not so great.

Maths GCSE - A*
Biology GCSE - A
Chemistry GCSE - A
Physics GCSE - A

I am still unsure of what career I want to pursue. I was hoping to study medicine but I am not so sure about that now. I was thinking about studying Diagnostic Radiography. However, if I achieve good A level results I might apply for medicine with my achieved A2 grades.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey,

It would be nice if you'd quote me if you're going to say stuff about me...

I'm not saying that she can't do well, just that most people who do that badly tend not to recover in time for exams. There's a thread around with a really inspirational story about a guy who got Es/Us at AS-level with a U in AS physics and, through a lot of hard work, is now studying Theoretical Physics at Durham University (which is probably not 'elite' enough in the OP's estimation). But he is the exception, just like your friend. Most people who get Fs in their mocks and tests get about the same in the actual thing, give or take a grade.

I don't understand why it is that people take such a common sense thing as that as some sort of unforgivable attack against the OP. Or should I just cease to provide any balance and just praise her endlessly like you and everybody else seems to be doing? You know what they say about teaching a man to fish as opposed to just giving him some fish, don't you? :tongue:
I am still unsure of what career I want to pursue. I was hoping to study medicine but I am not so sure about that now. I was thinking about studying Diagnostic Radiography. However, if I achieve good A level results I might apply medicine with my achieved A2 grades.

I'm doing that right now, so if you need any advice a year from now, let me know. :wink:
Reply 72
I dropped it because I didn't think I would be able to achieve at least an A or A* in it. The exam questions are slightly strange as sometimes I find it difficult to find the exact answers the examiners are looking or. Also there are a lot of "suggest" questions in Biology where the examiner expects you to use what you have learnt from the specification and your common knowledge/sense to come up with your own answer. I really struggled with these type of questions at AS so I dropped it. Also the Biology teachers at my Sixth Form are not so great.

Maths GCSE - A*
Biology GCSE - A
Chemistry GCSE - A
Physics GCSE - A

I am still unsure of what career I want to pursue. I was hoping to study medicine but I am not so sure about that now. I was thinking about studying Diagnostic Radiography. However, if I achieve good A level results I might apply for medicine with my achieved A2 grades.

Your grades are very impressive!! How did you get an A* in maths? What exam board did you do for maths in GCSE? Any other way to revise maths except past papers? Did you have a tutor for maths or science for GCSE? Any good way to remember information in science?
Original post by Hydeman
I'm doing that right now, so if you need any advice a year from now, let me know. :wink:

Cool! I will definitely message you if I need anything. If you don't mind me asking, what A level results did you get?
(edited 8 years ago)
Your grades are very impressive!! How did you get an A* in maths? What exam board did you do for maths in GCSE? Any other way to revise maths except past papers? Did you have a tutor for maths or science for GCSE? Any good way to remember information in science?

For Maths I did a hell of a lot of past papers, as many past papers I could find and did each of them at 3 times. I can't think of any better way to revise for Maths other than past papers. No I did not have a Maths or Science tutor. You should use a revision technique that suits you because people study in different ways. You can use mind maps, write notes, revise with friends by asking each other questions, or listening to podcasts or audio clips.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
For Maths I did a hell of a lot of past papers, as many past papers I could find and did each of them at 3 times. I can't think of any better way to revise for Maths other than past papers. No I did not have a Maths or Science tutor. You should use a revision technique that suits you because people study in different ways. You use mind maps, write notes, revise with friends by asking each other questions, or listening to podcasts or audio clips.

Do you know anything about scholarship or such? Is it hard to get one? Do you know anyone who got one into a sixth form? If you do what sixth form was it?
Do you know anything about scholarship or such? Is it hard to get one? Do you know anyone who got one into a sixth form? If you do what sixth form was it?

Sorry I am afraid I don't know anyone that has got a scholarship into Sixth Form. They are incredibly difficult to achieve even for students with great academics, but not impossible...
Reply 77
Sorry I am afraid I don't know anyone that has got a scholarship into Sixth Form. They are incredibly difficult to achieve even for students with great academics, but not impossible...

:frown: I'm really sad as I really want to go to Ashbourne and I do not understand what it says on their website about getting scholarships. Also i live only 30 minutes away compared to st olaves which is 90 minutes away :frown:. all the good schools in my location are private and all the free schools that are good are far away. How long does it take you to get to your sixth form?
Cool! I will definitely message you if I need anything. If you don't mind me asking, what A level results did you get?

I'll PM you. :smile:
:frown: I'm really sad as I really want to go to Ashbourne and I do not understand what it says on their website about getting scholarships. Also i live only 30 minutes away compared to st olaves which is 90 minutes away :frown:. all the good schools in my location are private and all the free schools that are good are far away. How long does it take you to get to your sixth form?

Roughly 1 hour journey. Had to take two buses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending