The Student Room Group

2:1 graduate looking for advice

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section...

I graduated uni with a 2:1 degree in 2013 and have since been working in a call centre. I hate it, and have been depressed for a long time because of it, and have recently started having panic attacks (been to the doctor who is referring me to a therapist). He agreed with me that I'm not clinically depressed due to a chemical imbalance, but more unhappy with my current state of affairs.

I've applied for a few jobs since getting this one and had a couple of interviews but ultimately failed to get the jobs. There are very few jobs which come about and the problem is my degree is in behavioural studies (psychology without the statistics) which is not very marketable.

I'm not sure what to do and am really at my wits end now. Even going back to uni for post grad or a second degree is a nightmare because of how expensive it is.

I'm not really sure what to do, I don't know how I will cope if this is all I can do for the rest of my life.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davidsafc
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section...

I graduated uni with a 2:1 degree in 2013 and have since been working in a call centre. I hate it, and have been depressed for a long time because of it, and have recently started having panic attacks (been to the doctor who is referring me to a therapist). He agreed with me that I'm not clinically depressed due to a chemical imbalance, but more unhappy with my current state of affairs.

I've applied for a few jobs since getting this one and had a couple of interviews but ultimately failed to get the jobs. There are very few jobs which come about and the problem is my degree is in behavioural studies (psychology without the statistics) which is not very marketable.

I'm not sure what to do and am really at my wits end now. Even going back to uni for post grad or a second degree is a nightmare because of how expensive it is.

I'm not really sure what to do, I don't know how I will cope if this is all I can do for the rest of my life.

You need help to work on your applications and interview technique- for most jobs its not the degree that matters, its how strong your application is.

Alternatively you can do an NHS degree e.g. nursing, physio, OT for free
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
You need help to work on your applications and interview technique- for most jobs its not the degree that matters, its how strong your application is.

Alternatively you can do an NHS degree e.g. nursing, physio, OT for free

I don't think it's my application or interview technique. I've not applied to many jobs (as I say, only a few) and I got an interview to two of them. I've worked on my interview technique as I think that was a weak point but just looking online for jobs today and feeling really disheartened at the fact that there really just isn't much out there.

I was totally unaware that NHS degrees were free. Are they completely free of charge and does that cover all universities? Whats the catch?

I'm still not sure I could afford to do a full time course and afford living expenses. Physiotherapy is something which kind of interested me anyway (more to do with the sports side of it) so this has piqued my interest a little. I'm interested to hear more.
I don't think it's my application or interview technique. I've not applied to many jobs (as I say, only a few) and I got an interview to two of them. I've worked on my interview technique as I think that was a weak point but just looking online for jobs today and feeling really disheartened at the fact that there really just isn't much out there.

I was totally unaware that NHS degrees were free. Are they completely free of charge and does that cover all universities? Whats the catch?

I'm still not sure I could afford to do a full time course and afford living expenses. Physiotherapy is something which kind of interested me anyway (more to do with the sports side of it) so this has piqued my interest a little. I'm interested to hear more.

Why then were you rejected from the jobs you got interviews for?

And yes, the catch is doing an NHS course that you can only get a reduced rate maintenance loan from student finance (around 2.5k). There is also the NHS bursary but it is not as generous as student finance offerings and you aren't eligible for any university bursaries. You would also need to check you meet the entry requirements.
Reply 4
Why then were you rejected from the jobs you got interviews for?

And yes, the catch is doing an NHS course that you can only get a reduced rate maintenance loan from student finance (around 2.5k). There is also the NHS bursary but it is not as generous as student finance offerings and you aren't eligible for any university bursaries. You would also need to check you meet the entry requirements.

I'm noticing that Northumbria which is quite close by to me does masters degrees in occupational therapy and physiotherapy, both of which (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong) are covered by the NHS. They also look to give me very direct routes onto the course with my current degree.

I'm very interested in this and so happy I posted this thread now, who can I contact on more info about this to discuss my career options?

edit: and sorry to ignore your question! The last one was because I didn't have as much experience as the candidate they picked.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Apparently you "must have experience of observing Physiotherapists at work, and some form of caring or voluntary work experience" which of course I don't have. Would the NHS careers contact line be able to give me information on how to overcome this sort of thing?
Reply 6
Can you do an access course and become a car mechanic or something?

I think you will struggle to find a graduate-level job given your qualifications.
Reply 7
Original post by cacra
Can you do an access course and become a car mechanic or something?

I think you will struggle to find a graduate-level job given your qualifications.

See the above posts...
I'm noticing that Northumbria which is quite close by to me does masters degrees in occupational therapy and physiotherapy, both of which (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong) are covered by the NHS. They also look to give me very direct routes onto the course with my current degree.

I'm very interested in this and so happy I posted this thread now, who can I contact on more info about this to discuss my career options?

edit: and sorry to ignore your question! The last one was because I didn't have as much experience as the candidate they picked.

from what ive seen on here sometimes them saying you don't have as much experience can be true or it can be a smokescreen for other reasons.

As far as the physio thing goes, I've no experience with the NHS careers line, but I'd start by contacting local physios or hospital departments to see if they can give you the shadowing experience you need.
Reply 9
from what ive seen on here sometimes them saying you don't have as much experience can be true or it can be a smokescreen for other reasons.

As far as the physio thing goes, I've no experience with the NHS careers line, but I'd start by contacting local physios or hospital departments to see if they can give you the shadowing experience you need.

Could have been, but I'll never find out.

Ok, I've just tried calling the NHS careers line and they're closed. Going to call them on Wednesday when I'm next able to contact them during their opening hours and see if I can get the info I need. Thank you very much!
Could have been, but I'll never find out.

Ok, I've just tried calling the NHS careers line and they're closed. Going to call them on Wednesday when I'm next able to contact them during their opening hours and see if I can get the info I need. Thank you very much!

yeah they are unlikely to be open outside of standard hours.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
What career are you looking into?
Reply 13
i hope you'll be fine real soon my friend. I know the feeling of being depressed and stressed and anxiety. Wish you best of luck.
Reply 14
Original post by melondew26
What career are you looking into?

Physiotherapy now :smile:
Reply 15
Physiotherapy now :smile:

Ohh, good luck!
Hi there,

I graduated in 2012 and it took me 2 years to find a job. I completely get how hard it is mentally etc but those were some of the best 2 years of my life in hindsight - it taught me some very valuable life lessons. I.e financially educating myself, resilience, humility etc.

Ways I got through it:

Going to the gym
Trying something new I.e learning a new language
Travelling if you have the money
Learning how to invest / finding other means of making money for yourself.

Yes, work gives you a steady flow of income but in this day and age it needs to be supplemented with something. Hope that helped and if you wanna speak more, drop me a PM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Over2you
Hi there,

I graduated in 2012 and it took me 2 years to find a job. I completely get how hard it is mentally etc but those were some of the best 2 years of my life in hindsight - it taught me some very valuable life lessons. I.e financially educating myself, resilience, humility etc.

Ways I got through it:

Going to the gym
Trying something new I.e learning a new language
Travelling if you have the money
Learning how to invest / finding other means of making money for yourself.

Yes, work gives you a steady flow of income but in this day and age it needs to be supplemented with something. Hope that helped and if you wanna speak more, drop me a PM

Posted from TSR Mobile

What you working as now? Must have been hard for you. I have always wanted to learn a new language how did you go about learning and how well can you speak that particular language now?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
What you working as now? Must have been hard for you. I have always wanted to learn a new language how did you go about learning and how well can you speak that particular language now?

I work for one of the Big 4 accountancy firms doing Management Consultancy - on the grad programme there. Haha I understand a bit of French, but not all! haha

And yes, it was very hard but as I say it was probably one of the best 2 years of of my in hindsight.
Yeah pick up a hobby like learning a language does sound great tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending