The Student Room Group

The school doesn't think I'm an Oxbridge candidate, should I?

I'm in my second week of year 12, and there's this Oxbridge talk thing that was invite only (obviously for those clever enough to get in). I didn't get asked to go which wasn't a huge shock to me, but it was a little bit of a downer tbh. If the people who have arranged this trip don't think I could get in, should I bother trying? I got all A-Cs at GCSE (mostly A) so no A*s or anything. Is there even a remote chance i could get in?

Scroll to see replies

You could go along to the talk to hear what they say. If you can get very high As this year in all your subjects and you're not going for a super competitive course then you might have a chance. My brother got 1a*, 5a at GCSEs and the rest bs and he got an interview (didn't get in though) but once you're at interview it's less about the academics and more how you perform on the day

Posted from TSR Mobile
The university system is so fake that admissions seem to like those that aim for the top and trickle down, so if you went to interview at LSE or UCL and didn't believe you could get into Ox/Cam they would likely pick up on it.. it's one of those things.

You can be interested as those two institutions are central to the uk university system so it would be good to know more about it.

Ox/Cam does expect all A*'s even if they only put A on their websites.

Getting all A's means you'll get into a good university (top40) and you'll have a great career.

The key to university is knowing why you chose those a-level subjects and doing something unique and smart which doesn't necessarily mean Oxbridge.

SOAS is great for unique courses.
UCL has human sciences, and history and philosophy of science both unique to UCL.

I would go to University of Nottingham in China, which seems like an amazing experience!
What subjects are you studying?

What are your predicted grades?

What university courses are you thinking of doing?
Reply 4
Original post by Misora
I'm in my second week of year 12, and there's this Oxbridge talk thing that was invite only (obviously for those clever enough to get in). I didn't get asked to go which wasn't a huge shock to me, but it was a little bit of a downer tbh. If the people who have arranged this trip don't think I could get in, should I bother trying? I got all A-Cs at GCSE (mostly A) so no A*s or anything. Is there even a remote chance i could get in?
forget GCSE's, all they care about is your personal statement (this is your chance to lie about anything you want and they're forced to believe it) and your predicted A-level grades. if you do this successfully and get an interview, your GCSE / A-level grades no longer matter and you just have to impress

edit: don't do any garbage subjects at A-level either. no sociology, media arts, pschology or any of that crap
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Protagoras
The university system is so fake that admissions seem to like those that aim for the top and trickle down, so if you went to interview at LSE or UCL and didn't believe you could get into Ox/Cam they would likely pick up on it.. it's one of those things.

You can be interested as those two institutions are central to the uk university system so it would be good to know more about it.

Getting all A's means you'll get into a good university (top40) and you'll have a great career.

The key to university is knowing why you chose those a-level subjects and doing something unique and smart which doesn't necessarily mean Oxbridge.

UCL has human sciences, and history and philosophy of science both unique to UCL.

I would go to University of Nottingham in China, which seems like an amazing experience!

Do not fall for this fallacy. Uni =/= great career. Also you could get all A's but flunk your A Levels. I may have only just started my A Levels but even I am not that naive
Reply 6
What subjects are you studying?

What are your predicted grades?

What university courses are you thinking of doing?

I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Computing and Physics (might drop this one). We haven't been given predicted grades yet, if it's any help I got As in these subjects at GCSE. I don't know what course I want to do, maybe computing?

Just thought I'd point out that LSE doesn't interview at all and UCL interviews only occasionally.
Also Human Sciences is offered at other universities including Oxford. There's also a similar course at Durham.

That's not to say I don't agree with your point, its just me being a bit pedantic.
Reply 8
Original post by Misora
I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Computing and Physics (might drop this one). We haven't been given predicted grades yet, if it's any help I got As in these subjects at GCSE. I don't know what course I want to do, maybe computing?
drop computing and take further maths instead, then do computer science at university (sounds weird, but trust me they'd take a further maths student over a computing student for comp. sci aaaaaaany day). i've been here before, TSR users told me i had no chance but i applied anyway and got an offer.

my gcse's were 1 A*, 5 A, 3 B, 1 C, A-levels were AAB (maths, further maths, physics). this was before A* was introduced at A-level and i ended up missing my offer because of the B in physics.

pm me for more info

edit: sorry i just remembered how the system works. drop computing at A2 and make sure you spank maths, chemistry and physics (i.e. get straight A/A* at AS, then tell your teachers to predict you A* for everything).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Misora

I'd keep with physics as it's all relative and useful as later on in your career it will be helpful.

Good luck on deciding what uni course you want to do..

You could possibly study cognitive neuroscience (biology would be needed though).

Then a masters in computer science.

Think of the technological singularity, when machine surpasses man..

So much to decide from, so good luck!

Try to find things that you see are challenges to the future of humanity.
Original post by bulf
forget GCSE's, all they care about is your personal statement (this is your chance to lie about anything you want and they're forced to believe it) and your predicted A-level grades. if you do this successfully and get an interview, your GCSE / A-level grades no longer matter and you just have to impress

edit: don't do any garbage subjects at A-level either. no sociology, media arts, pschology or any of that crap

Are you taking the piss lmao?

If you lie on your personal statement to Oxbridge you will get caught out in seconds at the interview, don't lie pretending you did this or that research because if the interviewer thinks "oh they did this, that's interesting" and asks about it you're done lmao.

The grades is quite frankly what matters the most. Oxford will want good GCSE grades with a high A* ratio, and Cambridge want high UMS to get the interview. Predicted grades are garbage because Oxford isn't going to think "they got 4Bs at AS but they're predicted 4A*s... YEP LEGIT" and Cambridge will see how the candidate performs UMS wise anyway, so someone with low 80% As isn't going to have the best time trying to get an A* the year after, with harder content
Original post by Misora

You'll be predicted CCCC to begin with, only really if you are predicted at the end of this term and you haven't been assessed on anything.

It may seem low but if you get A*s in those subjects you'll be predicted BBBB.

This is the policy for my sixth form for AS predictions from GCSE, and it seems like a few others on TSR have a similar policy.

Your class input, homework, quality of independent study, class work and mock/test grades will either move those grades up or down throughout the year! So don't be disheartened if your school has the same policy! Use it as motivation to go through the grades up to AAAA which is what you ideally need for AS levels for Oxbridge!

No, this isn't true at all.

Original post by bulf

This is also completely untrue.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bulf
what? i was offered a place at oxford for computer science when i was in OP's position (missed out by a grade in the end) and smashed my interview. have you been to an interview before? if you learn your PS and your lies inside out you won't get caught out.

Can you please stop encouraging people to lie on their personal statement? If you have to lie to make yourself interesting enough to get into Oxford then you're not the kind of person they're looking for. If you somehow managed to slip through the net then lucky you, I guess, but to encourage others to do the same is just downright irresponsible. The time taken to learn a bunch of well-rehearsed lies would be better spent actually doing things you enjoy to do with your subject - which after all, is why you're applying in the first place (presumably).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Misora

I just did those subjects at AS, they're a good combo, leaves you open to a lot of STEM degrees at university :smile:
Original post by bulf
what? i was offered a place at oxford for computer science when i was in OP's position (missed out by a grade in the end) and smashed my interview. have you been to an interview before? if you learn your PS and your lies inside out you won't get caught out. you're not dealing with the FBI here, it's just an old dude sitting across the table from you

also read my post before. you are exactly the kind of person i'm trying to warn OP about. when i asked if i had any chance of getting into oxbridge years ago people here told me i have no chance (because I had 1 A*, 5 A's and the rest were B/C). my tutor told me to convince my teachers to predict me straight A's (no A*'s in my time) and write a superb PS - which i did, and landed my interview because of this.

tldr; they do not give a **** about your GCSE grades (even if they say they do), people here are drama queens.

If you have to lie on your personal statement you shouldn't even have been applying for Oxford. What's the point in lying? And then learning things off? How stupid is that. You've given her the worst advice you could.

I didn't say the OP has no chance, but times have changed and if you're not interested enough or passionate, then the lack of good grades will push you right to the back of the queue for interviews. Oxford doesn't interview a large percentage of applicants, so if you can't make up for the lack of grades then off you go. Also I understand that it's been a while since you applies, and frankly things change. It's more competitive, and if you can't stand up to the competition because ie you have to lie on your personal statement cause you have no knowledge of the subject you're even applying for, or have little to impress with academically, then you just won't get in. Simples.

Oxford in particular uses GCSEs as indication of how well you can do at A level in the end.
Original post by Misora

Cambridge is a possibility with very high UMS in AS. Oxford... not so much.

"here's this Oxbridge talk thing that was invite only"

Are you talking about HE+? If so me and my friends got invited on that and only a few are actually applying. I'm fairly confident I could get an interview but would only have around 15% overall success and I'm really not that bothered. Don't confine yourself to one university (or two) or you're just gonna end up upsetting yourself.
Obvious troll bulf is obvious.
4/10, please don't feed him.
Reply 18
Your academic reference will be critical. If your teachers won't recommend you, then they won't write you a good reference and you won't get in.

A poor or mediocre reference will kill an application even if your grades improve to the point where predictions put you in the running.
I'd keep with physics as it's all relative and useful as later on in your career it will be helpful.

Good luck on deciding what uni course you want to do..

You could possibly study cognitive neuroscience (biology would be needed though).

Then a masters in computer science.

Think of the technological singularity, when machine surpasses man..

So much to decide from, so good luck!

Try to find things that you see are challenges to the future of humanity.

Why do you talk so irrelevantly on so many forums? 'Do cognitive neuroscience'?! That's got nothing to do with what the OP said they like.. They're not even taking biology! Lol how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending