The Student Room Group

Is A-Level (AQA) computer science and ICT worth it?

Poll

Worth it?

I mean is it up with subjects like maths and physics?

is it respectable because I mean ICT at A levels isnt respected at all and nor are subjects like sociology

I want to know if it is worth it to do an A level in computer science since I m already learning Java at home and my school also teaches Java for CS A level
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't really understand what you are asking here...
A a-level in Computer Science will give you a boost if you want to do the Computer science degree since there are some layers in it that are similar.
ICT isn't worth doing since it's not regarded as a good subject.
Original post by emprex

is it respectable because I mean ICT at A levels isnt respected at all and nor are subjects like sociology

I want to know if it is worth it to do an A level in computer science since I m already learning Java at home and handsworth grammar also teaches Java for CS A level

CS is a good a level if you wanna study CS/related degree in the future. ICT isn't. BTW I wouldn't advise naming your school like that on tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
A a-level in Computer Science will give you a boost if you want to do the Computer science degree since there are some layers in it that are similar.
ICT isn't worth doing since it's not regarded as a good subject.

yes i do want to get a degree in computer science then go further on to specialize myself

but s this a good course...why does it say ICT and Computer science....that makes me feel nervous :frown:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/ict-and-computer-science/as-and-a-level

thanks for the quick reply
Reply 5
Original post by Gogregg
I don't really understand what you are asking here...

I m asking if universities respect the A- level

Universities seem to respect Maths and science a lot so i was wondering if computer science is also respected
Original post by emprex

I want to know if it is worth it to do an A level in computer science since I m already learning Java at home and handsworth grammar also teaches Java for CS A level

Yes, I think it probably is more respectable than most other subjects, just above subjects like product design and electronics since it does have some theory. ICT is fine if you don't want to go to top 10 uni unless you want to drop it for A2. I can't really say it is near physics and maths since it probably has a substantial coursework section to it.

Nottingham uni will knock your offer down to AAB if you have computer science so it has to be reasonable considering they said my offer would be AAA with further maths.

Don't quote me on this because I don't have it available to me but I have looked into it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TechRaid3r
CS is a good a level if you wanna study CS/related degree in the future. ICT isn't. BTW I wouldn't advise naming your school like that on tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i m sorry m removing it ASAP :frown:

may i ask why?
They respect CS/Computing as much as a science, but do not require it.
Reply 9
Original post by emprex
I m asking if universities respect the A- level

Universities seem to respect Maths and science a lot so i was wondering if computer science is also respected

Sorry, I thought that was what you meant, but your title isn't exactly the clearest. But, yes, I'm pretty certain that CS is quite well regarded, although if you want to do CS at university, it isn't necessarily required. You just need maths and physics (and further maths for the very best universities) .
On the other hand, ICT is not very well regarded, since it is, essentially, obselete.
Reply 10
Original post by BinaryJava
Yes, I think it probably is more respectable than most other subjects, just above subjects like product design and electronics since it does have some theory. ICT is fine if you don't want to go to top 10 uni unless you want to drop it for A2. I can't really say it is near physics and maths since it probably has a substantial coursework section to it.

Nottingham uni will knock your offer down to AAB if you have computer science so it has to be reasonable considering they said my offer would be AAA with further maths.

Don't quote me on this because I don't have it available to me but I have looked into it.

I m sorry i have very little info about universities....

what does knocking down subjects mean? :O
Original post by emprex
i m sorry m removing it ASAP :frown:

may i ask why?

You don't have to apologise to me haha. Because it would make it so much easier for someone to identify you, e.g. your school. Its just best to avoid being too specific with details like that :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emprex
I m sorry i have very little info about universities....

what does knocking down subjects mean? :O

So Nottingham says that they will give you an offer of lower grades, so instead of needing AAA to get in, they let you in with AAB as long as you have computer science.

Quick Reply

Latest