The Student Room Group

What six forms are good in London?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Roughly 1 hour journey. Had to take two buses.

To get to saint olaves i have to get the bus,the tube and the train!!
I'd say Latymer 6th form is exceptional. It's in North London and annually sends about 20-30 students to Oxbridge (mostly Cambridge). You might want to look into that. Btw I know most schools e.g. Henriettta Barnett as well as Latymer require 6 As, but I wouldn't aim for this as most applicants have surpassed this amount in yr 10 alone. I know someone who was predicted 5 A*s and was rejected. I don't mean to dishearten you, but unfortunately that's the reality.
Original post by lemushrooms
I'd say Latymer 6th form is exceptional. It's in North London and annually sends about 20-30 students to Oxbridge (mostly Cambridge). You might want to look into that. Btw I know most schools e.g. Henriettta Barnett as well as Latymer require 6 As, but I wouldn't aim for this as most applicants have surpassed this amount in yr 10 alone. I know someone who was predicted 5 A*s and was rejected. I don't mean to dishearten you, but unfortunately that's the reality.

This. +1
Reply 83

What sixth form did you go to and what GCSE grades did you get to get in and what A levels did you get if you done them?
Original post by Maria1812
What time does school start in St Olaves? Do you know by any chance? Is it strict and does it have discipline? Does the school make students be very independent or do they spoon feed them? Any useful information about the school would be appreciated.

How hard are the exams in St olaves? Also what exam board do they use for physics,chemistry,maths and biology in the exams if you know by any chance?

School starts at 8.30/8.40 with lessons at 9am. You'll find a lot of this information on the website - the school website is your first starting point. It's more independence than spoon-feeding information. I think you'll find that this is actually what A-Levels prepare you for and hence, most of the work you put in will be finished yourself and not your teacher. It's different from GCSE in that respect.

Re exam boards. I may be repeating myself. They know every student does different exam boards. Hence there is no point trying to prepare for the entrance exam by learning a different exam board lol. The entrance exam depends on your capabilities. Strong candidates will obviously find it fairly easy. I found it no harder than a typical GCSE exam.
Go to a really bad one and get contextual offers!!
Reply 86
Original post by Magnesium
School starts at 8.30/8.40 with lessons at 9am. You'll find a lot of this information on the website - the school website is your first starting point. It's more independence than spoon-feeding information. I think you'll find that this is actually what A-Levels prepare you for and hence, most of the work you put in will be finished yourself and not your teacher. It's different from GCSE in that respect.

Re exam boards. I may be repeating myself. They know every student does different exam boards. Hence there is no point trying to prepare for the entrance exam by learning a different exam board lol. The entrance exam depends on your capabilities. Strong candidates will obviously find it fairly easy. I found it no harder than a typical GCSE exam.

So St Olaves picks students based on test scores and not how far they live from the school right? Does the school have any uniform or clothing requirements for sixth formers? I read the admission for the school but I do not quite understand it, so it would be helpful you could explain to me the admission process and how to apply and such.Also is there any interview you have to go through or is it just a normal test?
Original post by ChronicBoredom
Go to a really bad one and get contextual offers!!

She'll probably need them.

However, it's the OP's desire to get to 'elite' universities, which don't make contextual offers for her field (medicine). The places that do e.g. Bristol, St. George's are inferior in her view.

That strategy though... xD Why don't more people think of that? :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
She'll probably need them. :wink:

However, it's the OP's desire to get to 'elite' universities, which don't make contextual offers for her field (medicine). The places that do e.g. Bristol, St. George's are inferior in her view.

That strategy though... xD Why don't more people think of that? :lol:

People like OP are too elitist to deal with us state school peasants for a couple of years loool.
People like OP are too elitist to deal with us state school peasants for a couple of years loool.

Yep. The funny part is that most of the state school peasants can read and write a damn sight better than the OP and are probably smarter than her too. :biggrin:
Original post by Hydeman
Yep. The funny part is that most of the state school peasants can read and write a damn sight better than the OP and are probably smarter than her too. :biggrin:

Lol, I haven't actually properly read all of her previous posts.. I don't really want to get into any of this argument. Though I do think OP should be a little more open minded.
Lol, I haven't actually properly read all of her previous posts.. I don't really want to get into any of this argument. Though I do think OP should be a little more open minded.

She can't be - she said on another thread that she'd rather be depressed and suicidal than not go to an elite university. You can't get less open-minded than that. :lol:

And fair enough, best not to get involved. OP is very quick to report people for bullying if they talk too much sense.
What sixth form did you go to and what GCSE grades did you get to get in and what A levels did you get if you done them?

Well I've actually just started 6th form at Latymer :biggrin:. I have to say the people were friendly in the first week, but in hindsight I must admit it's quite clique-y D: . I've found that the "newbies" tend to stick together, whilst those who've been there since year 7 kinda do their own thing. I got 8 A*s and 5As for my GCSEs :biggrin:. I went to a pretty poor state school though.
Reply 93
Well I've actually just started 6th form at Latymer :biggrin:. I have to say the people were friendly in the first week, but in hindsight I must admit it's quite clique-y D: . I've found that the "newbies" tend to stick together, whilst those who've been there since year 7 kinda do their own thing. I got 8 A*s and 5As for my GCSEs :biggrin:. I went to a pretty poor state school though.

I rather go St Olaves as latymer is just 10 minutes closer to em so it does nto make a difference and I like St Olaves more. Any advice about boosting your chances of getting into a sixth form?
:frown: I'm really sad as I really want to go to Ashbourne and I do not understand what it says on their website about getting scholarships. Also i live only 30 minutes away compared to st olaves which is 90 minutes away :frown:. all the good schools in my location are private and all the free schools that are good are far away. How long does it take you to get to your sixth form?

Such first world problems... I've looked at their website and there's nothing that difficult to understand about scholarships. I'll break it down for your benefit:

Awarded on the basis of high academic achievement.

Never exceeds more than 50 percent of the tuition fees.

Can be withdrawn at any time if you violate the terms under which it's awarded (e.g. consistently poor academic performance, not punctual etc.)

Requires you to be able to read to a level that you allows to understand a web page about scholarships. This might be a hurdle for you.

Generally speaking, will require more than the 6 As you're aiming for to qualify.

Hope this helped. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Are there any grammar six forms in London. As grammar schools have quite a good reputation. Is it hard to get a scholarship to a private six form? I heard you can get a music or art or drama scholarship but can you get one from academic subjects or something like that?

Apply to Latymer. It's a good school.
Reply 96
Original post by Hydeman
Such first world problems... I've looked at their website and there's nothing that difficult to understand about scholarships. I'll break it down for your benefit:

Awarded on the basis of high academic achievement.

Never exceeds more than 50 percent of the tuition fees.

Can be withdrawn at any time if you violate the terms under which its awarded (e.g. consistently poor academic performance, not punctual etc.)

Requires you to be able to read to a level that you allows to understand a web page about scholarships. This might be a hurdle for you.

Generally speaking, will require more than the 6 As you're aiming for to qualify.

Hope this helped. :smile:

From what i understood from what you said is that if you get a scholarship they only pay for 50% of your tuition fees or less? Yes??
Reply 97
Original post by stochasticking

Did you go to latymer? What a level grades did you get?
Reply 98
Original post by stochasticking

Latymer is also quite far 1 hour 10 minutes
From what i understood from what you said is that if you get a scholarship they only pay for 50% of your tuition fees or less? Yes??

50 percent is generally the maximum they will pay so it could be less. It says that you should still expect to be paying well over £8 500 each year even with scholarships.

I'll also add that you're definitely not going to get it with 6 As because it's generally for people who will have 6+ A*s (or 8s in the new system).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending