The Student Room Group

Do Universities actually lower their offer if you do 4 A-Levels?

A LOT of teachers say that 4 A Levels are pointless as unis only ask for 3, and that their offer don't change if you have 4 A Levels? Is this a myth as i've heard a few people had lowered offers. Id like to know the opinions/facts

Scroll to see replies

no
you'll only get a lower offer (contextual) if your school/college attainment is in the bottom 40% or you personally have mitigating circumstances
Reply 2
There are cases where they could give you two alternative ways of meeting your offer, for example A*AA or AAAA. Whether you think AAAA is lower is up to you. Also taking four A levels when you have the option to do so says something about your time management and work ethic. However since some schools don't allow pupils to take more than 3 universities aren't allowed to require more than 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by SamuelSingleton
no
you'll only get a lower offer (contextual) if your school/college attainment is in the bottom 40% or you personally have mitigating circumstances

Yeah ive heard of contextual offers, But when it comes to four A Levels, Unis dont mention it or talk about it, There's no definitive answer on the Uni course pages :confused:

There is a few people i know that received lower offers, ie The most common being A*AA entry requirement but received an AAAA offer as they were offering 4 A Levels
Reply 4
Original post by aersh8
There are cases where they could give you two alternative ways of meeting your offer, for example A*AA or AAAA. Whether you think AAAA is lower is up to you. Also taking four A levels when you have the option to do so says something about your time management and work ethic. However since some schools don't allow pupils to take more than 3 universities aren't allowed to require more than 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you're definitely correct there, i believe unis cant give 4 a levels as an offer ever as schools arent obliged to allow 4. That case is the exact one i'm talking about and the one im currently in. Im offering 4 Alevels, Predicted at AAAA but my dream course is A*AA for entry. Thoughts?
Reply 5
Original post by Formless
Yeah ive heard of contextual offers, But when it comes to four A Levels, Unis dont mention it or talk about it, There's no definitive answer on the Uni course pages :confused:

There is a few people i know that received lower offers, ie The most common being A*AA entry requirement but received an AAAA offer as they were offering 4 A Levels

Well one of the unis im applying to offers A*ABB to people doing 4 a levels instead of A*AA (UEA) and personally I consider this quite low
A LOT of teachers say that 4 A Levels are pointless as unis only ask for 3, and that their offer don't change if you have 4 A Levels? Is this a myth as i've heard a few people had lowered offers. Id like to know the opinions/facts

You actually risk a higher offer based on 4 A levels ... hence why we recommend only doiing three to our students [high achieveing school].
I know there's one course that requires 4 a levels at A*AAA I believe, but I doubt it would give you an advantage to take all 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by RonnieRJ
Well one of the unis im applying to offers A*ABB to people doing 4 a levels instead of A*AA (UEA) and personally I consider this quite low

Oh wow that's amazing and really surprising,. A Lot of the teachers at my school said doing 4 A Levels is pointless and doesn't lower offers but hearing this gives me hope lmao. I wanna apply to Engineering with unis standard requirement of A*AA, Im predicted AAAA (Might be able to get chem to an A*) I believe i can achieve higher but school is quite strict on predictions. Im hoping that they'll give me an offer of AAAA or A*AAA.

Checked your profile, ermagerd you do so many subjects, GL with your studies and hope you get into your firm :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
You actually risk a higher offer based on 4 A levels ... hence why we recommend only doiing three to our students [high achieveing school].

Yeah but i guess that risk is also with 3 A Levels, unis are still able to give higher offers than stated on their website/course prospectus. Adjusted offers due to 4 A Levels aren't talked about much and misunderstood.
Oh wow that's amazing and really surprising,. A Lot of the teachers at my school said doing 4 A Levels is pointless and doesn't lower offers but hearing this gives me hope lmao. I wanna apply to Engineering with unis standard requirement of A*AA, Im predicted AAAA (Might be able to get chem to an A*) I believe i can achieve higher but school is quite strict on predictions. Im hoping that they'll give me an offer of AAAA or A*AAA.

Checked your profile, ermagerd you do so many subjects, GL with your studies and hope you get into your firm :biggrin:

Yeah I didn't actually expect it, I'm applying for natural sciences and just like for engineering the standard offer is A*AA. Have a look at engineering at UEA, maybe they offer A*ABB? I'm guessing if you had AAAA you could still get an offer as that averages out better than the A*ABB!

And haha thanks very much, good luck with your studies too! :smile:
Yeah but i guess that risk is also with 3 A Levels, unis are still able to give higher offers than stated on their website/course prospectus. Adjusted offers due to 4 A Levels aren't talked about much and misunderstood.

No-one I've ever taught has been given a higher offer than the 'typical offer' - probably because they choose courses wisely ie within range of their predictions. We are also known for accurate predictions which helps.
Reply 12
Yeah you're definitely correct there, i believe unis cant give 4 a levels as an offer ever as schools arent obliged to allow 4. That case is the exact one i'm talking about and the one im currently in. Im offering 4 Alevels, Predicted at AAAA but my dream course is A*AA for entry. Thoughts?

Go for all four, and drop one if you find it too much to cope with (provided you do that before submitting your UCAS). Doing four subjects really isn't as big of a deal as many people make it out to be, and may just prepare you for university a bit better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Yeah I didn't actually expect it, I'm applying for natural sciences and just like for engineering the standard offer is A*AA. Have a look at engineering at UEA, maybe they offer A*ABB? I'm guessing if you had AAAA you could still get an offer as that averages out better than the A*ABB!

And haha thanks very much, good luck with your studies too! :smile:

Ah great, ill have a look aswell. I just plan to destroy A2 and hope for as many A*s. Id be interested in what your other Uni choices offer you, i feel clueless as Uni's websites don't have any standard entry requirements for those who offer 4.

Anyways thanks
Ah great, ill have a look aswell. I just plan to destroy A2 and hope for as many A*s. Id be interested in what your other Uni choices offer you, i feel clueless as Uni's websites don't have any standard entry requirements for those who offer 4.

Anyways thanks

Yeah definitely just try your hardest and get even higher than your targets. If you exceed them you can always go to "a better uni" through adjustment if you wished :smile:
But UEA is my only choice that offers a 4 A levels offer I believe (as far as it's been shown in entry requirements). I'll update you when I get some offers if you wish?
I believe when I was at a summer school at bath, they can sometimes lower your offer if you do four as one of the guys doing either physics or engineering (can't remember) said he had it lowered? Like an A to a B?
Reply 15
Original post by aersh8
Go for all four, and drop one if you find it too much to cope with (provided you do that before submitting your UCAS). Doing four subjects really isn't as big of a deal as many people make it out to be, and may just prepare you for university a bit better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES exactly, i feel like the jump from GCSE to ALevel, and the 4 Alevels is sooo overated and hyped, schools just scare students and they conform to the conventional 3 A Levels. I dont find the work load too hard, im coping well. It is early but im working hard. What are you studying/what level. I see you're a cuber, my record is 34seconds lmao ima rookie. Also Cheers for the advice! :biggrin:
Offers aren't lowered. And it's not uncommon for them to give offers for all 4 subjects either; I know someone who got an offer of A*A*AA for Cambridge, when the usual offer was A*A*A.
Reply 17
Yeah definitely just try your hardest and get even higher than your targets. If you exceed them you can always go to "a better uni" through adjustment if you wished :smile:
But UEA is my only choice that offers a 4 A levels offer I believe (as far as it's been shown in entry requirements). I'll update you when I get some offers if you wish?
I believe when I was at a summer school at bath, they can sometimes lower your offer if you do four as one of the guys doing either physics or engineering (can't remember) said he had it lowered? Like an A to a B?

Ohhh i see, i think that is the first time i've ever seen a 4 A Level offer and its seems pretty easily attainable, Surprised especially for NatSci at UEA, Yah id rly appreciate you updating me. A*AA to AAAA Is a common adjustment i hear, i've pretty much finished my first draft of personal statement, god knows how many redrafts ill be doing, You seem Cambridge NatSci standard, the highest im applying to is Imperial. Talking about Summer schools, they are actually so good, like it has such a nerdy stigma but i did a residential engineering one at Surrey for a week and i met the coolest people and twas totally different then i expected, i wanna live out already.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by TheTechN1304
Offers aren't lowered. And it's not uncommon for them to give offers for all 4 subjects either; I know someone who got an offer of A*A*AA for Cambridge, when the usual offer was A*A*A.

Offers are lowered sometimes but it might be uncommon.

Does that mean that its common for unis to give offers based off 3 A Level when you offer 4????
Ohhh i see, i think that is the first time i've ever seen a 4 A Level offer and its seems pretty easily attainable, Surprised especially for NatSci at UEA, Yah id rly appreciate you updating me. A*AA to AAAA Is a common adjustment i hear, i've pretty much finished my first draft of personal statement, god knows how many redrafts ill be doing, You seem Cambridge NatSci standard, the highest im applying to is Imperial. Talking about Summer schools, they are actually so good, like it has such a nerdy stigma but i did a residential engineering one at Surrey for a week and i met the coolest people and twas totally different then i expected, i wanna live out already.

Yeah I think getting in with 2Bs is really quite good. I'm considering having UEA as my insurance if I do get an offer from them.
And aw thanks so much! Imperial is very good, when I was considering doing pure physics I was looking at imperial as one of my main choices. They sadly don't do Nat Sci though :/ and yes I loved my summer school too! The accomodation was great! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest