The Student Room Group

Do Universities actually lower their offer if you do 4 A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Formless
Offers are lowered sometimes but it might be uncommon.

Does that mean that its common for unis to give offers based off 3 A Level when you offer 4????

Offers will usually be for 3 A levels (regardless of the number of A levels you take), but in some cases you could get an offer for 4 (it's rare, but not that rare). I did 4 A Levels and all my offers were for 3.
Reply 21
Original post by RonnieRJ
Yeah I think getting in with 2Bs is really quite good. I'm considering having UEA as my insurance if I do get an offer from them.
And aw thanks so much! Imperial is very good, when I was considering doing pure physics I was looking at imperial as one of my main choices. They sadly don't do Nat Sci though :/ and yes I loved my summer school too! The accomodation was great! :biggrin:

A*ABB is actually a really nice insurance to fall back on, but i guess see how your other offers go. UCL will prob be my insurance they offer AAA for Engineering which is surprising as they are 6th in league tables. Physics is life. How did you get around choosing Natsci i'm guessing you just loved all 3 sciences enough not to give up one.
A*ABB is actually a really nice insurance to fall back on, but i guess see how your other offers go. UCL will prob be my insurance they offer AAA for Engineering which is surprising as they are 6th in league tables. Physics is life. How did you get around choosing Natsci i'm guessing you just loved all 3 sciences enough not to give up one.

Yeah I'm applying to UCL too! The only thing that's still slightly putting me off is the cost of London life man :/
And yeah exactly that! I realised I didn't want to drop anything for A2, and then didn't want to leave any sciences behind for uni :smile: I'll still do a masters in astrophysics, but I do want to carry on chem and bio modules :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by TheTechN1304
Offers will usually be for 3 A levels (regardless of the number of A levels you take), but in some cases you could get an offer for 4 (it's rare, but not that rare). I did 4 A Levels and all my offers were for 3.

Ohhh that has clarified a lot, i thought that they would always give offers for 4. Yeah sorry worded it badly. This really helps i wasn't completely aware , thanks
Reply 24
Yeah I'm applying to UCL too! The only thing that's still slightly putting me off is the cost of London life man :/
And yeah exactly that! I realised I didn't want to drop anything for A2, and then didn't want to leave any sciences behind for uni :smile: I'll still do a masters in astrophysics, but I do want to carry on chem and bio modules :biggrin:

Yeahh that is literally the only drawback, London living costs is stupidly high compared to other unis, You are lucky tho 2/5 of my choices are in London lmao, why do London unis have to be so good but cost of living be so high :frown:.

Ah fair play, Astrophysics masters seems like a nice choice, ill be jealous, I do Chem and Phys, i just couldn't make myself carry on bio lmao apologies. I will miss chem at Uni though for sure.
Yeahh that is literally the only drawback, London living costs is stupidly high compared to other unis, You are lucky tho 2/5 of my choices are in London lmao, why do London unis have to be so good but cost of living be so high :frown:.

Ah fair play, Astrophysics masters seems like a nice choice, ill be jealous, I do Chem and Phys, i just couldn't make myself carry on bio lmao apologies. I will miss chem at Uni though for sure.

Yeah exactly :/ UCL is my only London uni :smile: the rest are fairly cheap/average cost so it's alright :biggrin:
Yeah I do love Astro! But just to let you know, if you ever consider physical Nat Sci you only do physical sciences, eg physics and Chem:colone:
The offers won't normally change, but both people I know who did 4 subjects, when they narrowly missed the AAA grades got in anyway with AABB as UCAS points wise it's still way above and so think they're a bit more lenient... After all you have done 33% more work than your other peers by taking 4.. But tbh my advice is to not overstretched yourself, you're best off nailing three the. Doing mediocre in 4 x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Yeah exactly :/ UCL is my only London uni :smile: the rest are fairly cheap/average cost so it's alright :biggrin:
Yeah I do love Astro! But just to let you know, if you ever consider physical Nat Sci you only do physical sciences, eg physics and Chem:colone:

ayyyy i see what you tryin :biggrin:, don't make me convert to Physical NatSci, Its attractive but Engineering is the one b. You nearly had me there Ronnie
(edited 8 years ago)

Spoiler

I will convert everyone to Nat Sci :colone: engineering is cool too :biggrin:

But Nat Sci is lyf
Reply 29
Original post by mizzsnazzter
The offers won't normally change, but both people I know who did 4 subjects, when they narrowly missed the AAA grades got in anyway with AABB as UCAS points wise it's still way above and so think they're a bit more lenient... After all you have done 33% more work than your other peers by taking 4.. But tbh my advice is to not overstretched yourself, you're best off nailing three the. Doing mediocre in 4 x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing 4 Was completely my choice, i didnt do it to get lower offers i did it just because i really like my subjects couldn't ever think about dropping any. Im finding the workload fine, i feel like its easier than most people say. Still early though :biggrin:

Great feedback, appreciate it
Reply 30
I will convert everyone to Nat Sci :colone: engineering is cool too :biggrin:

But Nat Sci is lyf

Hmm ....sure :biggrin:
Somewhere deep down Ronnie, we both know you like physics more
Hmm ....sure :biggrin:
Somewhere deep down Ronnie, we both know you like physics more

:colonhash:

Only a little
But couldn't leave my poor sciences behind im taking them along to uni it's ok :tongue:
Reply 32
:colonhash:

Only a little
But couldn't leave my poor sciences behind im taking them along to uni it's ok :tongue:

You are a lot more versatile in the long run if you do your course so your route is a better choice i guess. Defo seems like the right choice for you. But ive already sold my soul to Engineering for like $1.29 i aint converting b :biggrin:
You are a lot more versatile in the long run if you do your course so your route is a better choice i guess. Defo seems like the right choice for you. But ive already sold my soul to Engineering for like $1.29 i aint converting b :biggrin:

Yeah it's definitely the best way to go about getting the degree for me :tongue: but aw fine, be an engineer then :biggrin:
Reply 34
Yeah it's definitely the best way to go about getting the degree for me :tongue: but aw fine, be an engineer then :biggrin:

Do you have school tomorrow? , I dont know why tf i stay up this late i do it all the time ever since AS lmao
Do you have school tomorrow? , I dont know why tf i stay up this late i do it all the time ever since AS lmao

I do indeed :/ hahah
Reply 36
YES exactly, i feel like the jump from GCSE to ALevel, and the 4 Alevels is sooo overated and hyped, schools just scare students and they conform to the conventional 3 A Levels. I dont find the work load too hard, im coping well. It is early but im working hard. What are you studying/what level. I see you're a cuber, my record is 34seconds lmao ima rookie. Also Cheers for the advice! :biggrin:

Best of luck! :smile: I'm starting first year natural sciences at Cambridge now, and did A level maths, biology, chemistry, physics and Russian and AS further maths and Greek
Always great to meet a fellow cuber! 34 seconds is a great time if you haven't learnt Freidrich or any other advanced method (ie all the algorithms) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by aersh8
Best of luck! :smile: I'm starting first year natural sciences at Cambridge now, and did A level maths, biology, chemistry, physics and Russian and AS further maths and Greek
Always great to meet a fellow cuber! 34 seconds is a great time if you haven't learnt Freidrich or any other advanced method (ie all the algorithms) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow congratulations! Thats amazing best of luck at cambridge enjoy it. You seem pretty multilingual, Potential Polyglot, is Greek or Russian a native language? I can read and write in greek to a high proficiency but can barely hold a conversation. I find languages such as greek, arabic, japanese (hiragana) quite easy to read and write its a actually an amazing way to train your memory. Which is also why i did some cubing, i want to learn OLL and PLL algs, its really amazing though, from pure recall to muscle memory when you see an orientation. Memory is probably the greatest asset, I wanna go below 20, someday. Whats your best time? 3x3
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Wow congratulations! Thats amazing best of luck at cambridge enjoy it. You seem pretty multilingual, Potential Polyglot, is Greek or Russian a native language? I can read and write in greek to a high proficiency but can barely hold a conversation. I find languages such as greek, arabic, japanese (hiragana) quite easy to read and write its a actually an amazing way to train your memory. Which is also why i did some cubing, i want to learn OLL and PLL algs, its really amazing though, from pure recall to muscle memory when you see an orientation. Memory is probably the greatest asset, I wanna go below 20, someday. Whats your best time? 3x3

Thanks! :smile: I live in Greece so the language bit isn't too impressive :tongue: I agree that language learning helps you develop in many ways, and definitely trains your memory (Chinese did the trick quite nicely). I haven't actually gotten round to learning algs, but my best is around 20 and I average 30-35 seconds :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it was a points-based offer that might apply, but otherwise, knowing a few people who did 4 or 5 A-levels, no. My son did 4 plus General Studies and three of his offers were still A*A*A.

Quick Reply

Latest