The Student Room Group

I'm right wing and I think Jeremy Corbyn doesn't pose a threat to national security

But I think "pacifism" is a stupid tactic, the UK will always be a target for ISIS etc. We are not a small country and due to colonialism/involvement in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars some nutjob is not going to stop trying to blow up London or something just because we are trying to "pacify" extremists

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RightWingRight
But I think "pacifism" is a stupid tactic, the UK will always be a target for ISIS etc. We are not a small country and due to colonialism/involvement in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars some nutjob is not going to stop trying to blow up London or something just because we are trying to "pacify" extremists

Maybe elaborate on why you dont think he is a threat?
Reply 2
I think security threat implies too much that you would see him meeting a Chinese agent/Islamic Terrorist/ ex KGB-but-totally-not-a-dictator Russian President on a dark night and selling state secrets and nuclear launch codes. But I can't say I have much confidence in Corbyn's ability to defend the country.
Original post by FireDwarf2
Maybe elaborate on why you dont think he is a threat?

Even if he's elected probably not going to push a lot of what he said when he wasn't Labour leader.

A lot of MPs who disliked his policies will not have resigned
Original post by Aj12
I think security threat implies too much that you would see him meeting a Chinese agent/Islamic Terrorist/ ex KGB-but-totally-not-a-dictator Russian President on a dark night and selling state secrets and nuclear launch codes. But I can't say I have much confidence in Corbyn's ability to defend the country.

Why?

He seems like he was kooky before but if he wants to get elected he has to change, he knows that
I would be concerned for my safety if he was ever PM.
Reply 6
You are most likely a lefty who just made an account with a clever name :/
Reply 7
If he was PM, I would generally **** myself when he legalises Islamic terror
Reply 8
while i mostly agree with corbyn are you all forgetting how parliament works? these policies will never get put through parliament due to this process
remember that, and realise the majority of his policies (public spending, tax, basically everything except defence) are very good, and some of them are agreed upon by the majority of the population (nationalisation being a big one)
Reply 9
Why?

He seems like he was kooky before but if he wants to get elected he has to change, he knows that

Well that's if he does. Right now it seems the reality of the Labour "establishment" is holding him in check. But Corybn's whole platform has been based on this idea that he is a real ideological politician with principle and genuine held beliefs. He has always been against nuclear weapons, sceptical of NATO, the use of force and an activist foreign policy. These things don't change over night if at all. And if he is seen to be dropping policy and ideals for electoral reality then he loses the force that has impelled him into power in the first place.

Case in point, the Lib Dems and Cleggmania, as soon as they made the compromises necessary for power they get electorally crippled.
Original post by Gears265
You are most likely a lefty who just made an account with a clever name :/

No. He's stupid but see my response to aj
Original post by citydeer
while i mostly agree with corbyn are you all forgetting how parliament works? these policies will never get put through parliament due to this process
remember that, and realise the majority of his policies (public spending, tax, basically everything except defence) are very good, and some of them are agreed upon by the majority of the population (nationalisation being a big one)

Talking about if he becomes PM
Original post by Aj12
Well that's if he does. Right now it seems the reality of the Labour "establishment" is holding him in check. But Corybn's whole platform has been based on this idea that he is a real ideological politician with principle and genuine held beliefs. He has always been against nuclear weapons, sceptical of NATO, the use of force and an activist foreign policy. These things don't change over night if at all. And if he is seen to be dropping policy and ideals for electoral reality then he loses the force that has impelled him into power in the first place.

Case in point, the Lib Dems and Cleggmania, as soon as they made the compromises necessary for power they get electorally crippled.

Good point, but Labour is a much larger party than the Lib Dems, Corbyn needs more support than Clegg did because of it and Clegg wasn't as "radical" a Lib Dem as Corbyn is compared to the Labour "establishment".
Talking about if he becomes PM

of course - he is only a "threat to security" if he becomes PM, yet people seem to forget the practicalities of how government is run
Corbyn has history of empathising with terrorists.

He was very chummy with Gerry Adams during the 1980's, during the height of the troubles..
Corbyn's pacifism and anti-war views go too far for me. Opposing some of our recent interventions is fair enough, but opposing air strikes on a genocidal terrorist group like ISIS is just ridiculous and dangerous. It's probably my biggest problem with him.
Original post by Aj12

'Defend the country' hahah. Such comic book language.
How about David Cameron cutting another 22,000 police officers jobs - now that's a threat to security.
Reply 17
Original post by RFowler
Corbyn's pacifism and anti-war views go too far for me. Opposing some of our recent interventions is fair enough, but opposing air strikes on a genocidal terrorist group like ISIS is just ridiculous and dangerous. It's probably my biggest problem with him.

Aren't we plotting to carry out a genocide against ISIS?
Reply 18
Propaganda and hatin' on part of the conservatives - the man has done nothing yet how can he possibly pose as a "threat"?

He poses a threat to right-wing conservative politics, which of course our current government doesn't like, hence why they are making such empty statements as "he poses a threat to national security, personal security, and the economic status" WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATION AS TO HOW OR WHY... it's scare-mongering yo.
Reply 19
Original post by Drunken Bard
Corbyn has history of empathising with terrorists.

He was very chummy with Gerry Adams during the 1980's, during the height of the troubles..

Yes because a man who spent 30+ years in the Labour party would rise to leader only to want to bring a whole bunch of terrorists into the country because... well I dunno your statement is making no point.

Now this privatisation under our current conservative government (where British companies, to name one the NHS, is being sold of to private international corporations) is more of a threat to personal and national security than any words Corbyn is saying, think about that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending