The Student Room Group

12 Mexican tourists acidentally killed by Egyptian security forces

It seems the tourists and their guide(s) went into a restricted zone, and were 'mistakenly dealt with'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34241680

Do you think there'll be much in the way of international repercussions? If it were the UK, I think we'd go ape.
It is strange that they had gone into a "restricted zone" but wont say where it is. So others could fall to see same mistake. Which leads me to believe that this was entirely the fault of the armed forces.

There should be repercussions but I doubt there will be.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
It is strange that they had gone into a "restricted zone" but wont say where it is. So others could fall to see same mistake. Which leads me to believe that this was entirely the fault of the armed forces.

There should be repercussions but I doubt there will be.

Well, I think a witness has said they weren't in a restricted zone, and were even at that time with police.
Seems dodgy. Probably a bit more to the story than we are being told.

In any case, nothing will happen apart from a weak apology and a few glares at each other.
Reply 4
Original post by miser
Well, I think a witness has said they weren't in a restricted zone, and were even at that time with police.

Generally when you go into the desert in Egypt, because so much of it is restricted, you have undercover police with you. I say undercover, they wear suits and tend to get flashy with their guns so you could spot them from a mile away. You tend to come across dozens of "police" checkpoints, (Usually easy to spot because they are heavily fortified, including heavy machine guns) when heading out into restricted areas as well. Tourist groups tended to be counted in and out, when I was out there we had an army unit come on to our bus and check the various tourists.

In short I find it difficult to believe the army could mistake tourists for terrorists. Unless they are running similar free fire policies to the US in Vietnam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending