The Student Room Group

Predicted grades are horrible

My predicted grades are BCD, however the courses I want to do in Uni requires me to achieve ABB-AAB

What should I do? :< Should I give up on the universities I want to go to? I know I can achieve higher.
Original post by Affection
My predicted grades are BCD, however the courses I want to do in Uni requires me to achieve ABB-AAB

What should I do? :< Should I give up on the universities I want to go to? I know I can achieve higher.

What grades did you get at AS, or are you sitting AS at the moment
Reply 2
Original post by Sam280297
What grades did you get at AS, or are you sitting AS at the moment

B in econ
C in maths
E in eng lit

I'm going to resit maths and eng lit - especially since I was predicted a B for eng lit last year. I have a feeling my paper was marked wrong, but thats just wishful thinking ^^
Reply 3
Apply for a range of universities with different entry requirements like this for example. You never know how lenient some universities can be but make sure you have a very good and strong personal statement

1. AAB
2. ABB
3.BBC
4. BCC
5.CCC
B in econ
C in maths
E in eng lit

I'm going to resit maths and eng lit - especially since I was predicted a B for eng lit last year.

You could realistically be predicted an A in econ and a B in maths, but getting your english lit grade predicted to a B.
If you're resitting english lit then you could maybe get a prediction of a B or a C.
Teachers can up predictions by 2 grades though. I got a C in AS further maths last year and got an A prediction so potentially your maths could be predicted at an A

If you could get predictions of ABC you could still get offers from some ABB unis, potentially even AAB.

I would advise choosing one or two with BBB/BBC requirements as a back up just incase AAB/ABB unis reject you
Reply 5
Original post by kemi28
Apply for a range of universities with different entry requirements like this for example. You never know how lenient some universities can be but make sure you have a very good and strong personal statement

1. AAB
2. ABB
3.BBC
4. BCC
5.CCC

Thank you:h:, my personal statement is good, it's just the grades that are putting me off, but I know I'm going to achieve higher than those predicted grades.
Reply 6
You could realistically be predicted an A in econ and a B in maths, but getting your english lit grade predicted to a B.
If you're resitting english lit then you could maybe get a prediction of a B or a C.
Teachers can up predictions by 2 grades though. I got a C in AS further maths last year and got an A prediction so potentially your maths could be predicted at an A

If you could get predictions of ABC you could still get offers from some ABB unis, potentially even AAB.

I would advise choosing one or two with BBB/BBC requirements as a back up just incase AAB/ABB unis reject you

Ah thank you. ^_^

Teachers can predict whatever they like, but they have to convince universities that the predictions are realistic. Some unis would view a prediction two grades higher than an AS level as being pretty unrealistic without some justification such as mitigating circumstances at AS. Obviously in your situation it worked out for you, but in a lot of cases, getting an unrealistically high prediction isn't going to help much.

Thank you:h:, my personal statement is good, it's just the grades that are putting me off, but I know I'm going to achieve higher than those predicted grades.

If you think you're going to do much better at A2, your best option is probably to take a gap year and reapply or possibly consider applying via adjustment in the summer.. Realistically, if you apply for a course asking for AAB or similar, your application may well get filtered out based on grades before your PS and reference are ever read. There's no harm in applying to one or two fairly unrealistic choices, but you will have to be prepared for possible rejections.
My predicted grades were almost the same as yours except ABD and I managed to get into a uni that wanted BBB (Kings). My AS grades were BCE too.

Mind you, my course was Adult Nursing and so it may have been less focused on the grades and more on PS because of healthcare experience? Anyway, I'd apply for one with that grade requirement but don't forget you can always get that uni if you do end up getting those grades and it's available in clearing.
Reply 9

Good luck :smile:
If you are really unhappy and know you can do better but the school won't budge about your predicted grades, have you considered taking a gap year and applying post A-levels? This is something I am thinking of but I know it's not for everyone. If you do decide to go down this route you might as well just go for it and apply this year, but like another poster said I would consider applying to unis with a range of entry requirements just to be sure.

Anyway I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending