The Student Room Group

last minute transfer to london university to be with my boyfriend? bad decision?

I was planning on transferring from my current uni (50's in league tables - it's a crap uni socially omg i hate it) to a russel group which is in top 20 in league tables. (I study psychology).

But after I made a London uni my insurance and this russel group my firm, I met my boyfriend again after a long time since we both went on holiday and I finally got to see him a couple days ago and now I am really regretting throwing away the chance to be with him in his city for two years...

I have many friends there and i know the city very well, but the uni i got accepted in started TODAY and aren't taking any calls until Wednesday... I called UCAS and they said I need to call them up. So I'm not sure if they would take me or not... they should still have places, but another problem is accommodation...

Is this a stupid decision? The russel group want me to start from first year and that's a waste of a year, also my current uni and the london uni offer placement... My first year modules are exactly the same as the london uni's first AND second year modules so it shouldn't be a problem if I transfer for third year next year if transferring now isn't an option, right?

Scroll to see replies

I can't figure out your post, but in general you should decide to go to a particular university on its own merits, not because someone else goes there.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I was planning on transferring from my current uni (50's in league tables - it's a crap uni socially omg i hate it) to a russel group which is in top 20 in league tables. (I study psychology).

But after I made a London uni my insurance and this russel group my firm, I met my boyfriend again after a long time since we both went on holiday and I finally got to see him a couple days ago and now I am really regretting throwing away the chance to be with him in his city for two years...

I have many friends there and i know the city very well, but the uni i got accepted in started TODAY and aren't taking any calls until Wednesday... I called UCAS and they said I need to call them up. So I'm not sure if they would take me or not... they should still have places, but another problem is accommodation...

Is this a stupid decision? The russel group want me to start from first year and that's a waste of a year, also my current uni and the london uni offer placement... My first year modules are exactly the same as the london uni's first AND second year modules so it shouldn't be a problem if I transfer for third year next year if transferring now isn't an option, right?

What uni's are they (your current and the RG?) Unless it's a huge disparity then the one with the placement is far better, especially for Psychology where getting a job is hard enough. RG only matters for post-grads. the quality of it's research centre's has no effect on people like you studying as an undergrad. Having said that, don't base your decision on a boy who, sorry to say this, you're not likely to be with in 10 years and you got regrets for not moving universities.
Reply 3
Original post by Duncan2012
I can't figure out your post, but in general you should decide to go to a particular university on its own merits, not because someone else goes there.

I want to go to the london uni because my SO lives in london :frown: but the uni that has accepted me in my current city is in the top 20 on the league tables
Reply 4
Original post by Depleted
Having said that, don't base your decision on a boy who, sorry to say this, you're not likely to be with in 10 years and you got regrets for not moving universities.

^ This.

If it was meant to last then it will regardless of location.
Reply 5
What uni's are they (your current and the RG?) Unless it's a huge disparity then the one with the placement is far better, especially for Psychology where getting a job is hard enough. RG only matters for post-grads. the quality of it's research centre's has no effect on people like you studying as an undergrad. Having said that, don't base your decision on a boy who, sorry to say this, you're not likely to be with in 10 years and you got regrets for not moving universities.

My current is Northumbria and the RG is Newcastle - the London one is Brunel.

Okay so it's better for me to get a good degree at my current with placement vs getting a good degree at RG without placement? I am thinking to go to another university for my masters etc anyway (Brunel also does placement, but I much enjoy the modules at second year at my current than Brunel...)

People tell me getting a degree from a RG will make me successful and guarantee me interviews for jobs etc...
Reply 6
Original post by jazjaz
^ This.

If it was meant to last then it will regardless of location.

It's nothing about not lasting, it just hurts me too much when we separate... :frown:
Reply 7

ALSO I reality hate my current uni socially, the RG is far better socially... Brunel is similar my my current but i'll be in london so it balances out

.......and now I am really regretting throwing away the chance to be with him in his city for two years...

What happens when your boyfriend dumps you for a new model or you break up with him for any number of reasons?

Will you then still feel it was worth throwing away your Russell Group place just so you can be with him?

Degrees are for life and not just for Christmas, Hanukkah or Eid (delete as appropriate).
(edited 8 years ago)
there's no saying the relationship will last. that's the harsh truth. he might seem like the most beautiful perfect person to you atm but nobody truly is. i would stay at your original uni.
Reply 10
It's nothing about not lasting, it just hurts me too much when we separate... :frown:

Sounds like codependency calling him your 'SO' when he's not even your husband and possibly going to a lesser uni for him which jeopardises your own happiness and future prospects. What sacrifices does he take for you?
People tell me getting a degree from a RG will make me successful and guarantee me interviews for jobs etc...

That's just not true. Nothing can 'guarantee' you an interview.
Original post by uberteknik
What happens when your boyfriend dumps you for a new model or you break up with him for any number of reasons?

Will you then still feel it was worth throwing away your Russell Group place just so you can be with him?

Degrees are for life and not just for Christmas, Hanukkah or Eid (delete as appropriate).

Okay even if I don't go... is it wise for me to start all over again at a RG which doesn't offer placement, rather than continue two more years with a placement year...
Original post by DannyDualscar
there's no saying the relationship will last. that's the harsh truth. he might seem like the most beautiful perfect person to you atm but nobody truly is. i would stay at your original uni.

And not move to the RG? I could transfer to london next year
Original post by jazjaz
going to a lesser uni for him which jeopardises your own happiness and future prospects. What sacrifices does he take for you?

Going to the london uni will be same leagues as my current, it's whether choosing to stay at my current/move to london one OR going to a RG (in my current city) will be good decision or not ... my current does placement, the RG doesn't and wants me to start again from first year
Why would you leave Northumbria for Newcastle when Newcastle offer nothing in terms of placement?
Going to the london uni will be same leagues as my current, it's whether choosing to stay at my current/move to london one OR going to a RG (in my current city) will be good decision or not ... my current does placement, the RG doesn't and wants me to start again from first year

It sounds like you have already made up your mind and are simply looking for public approval to justify your plan.

The majority of posts have stated it's a bad idea to pass the RG place. Nothing more to be said.
And not move to the RG? I could transfer to london next year

yes. if your boyfriend is the only reason why you would want to move then id advise you not to
Why would you leave Northumbria for Newcastle when Newcastle offer nothing in terms of placement?

Because Newcastle is academically rigorous whereas Northumbria is a joke. Why are you posting anonymously anyway?
Reply 19

I'm at an RG (Imperial) and I personally never heard of transfers being excepted unless there were extenuating circumstances. A lot of RGs don't do placements compared to others but often the prospects are still better. A friend of mine did biochem at UCL and is now a trainee patent attorney in a City firm and will soon be breaking 6 figures another friend of mine did human biology at Sheffield Hallam with a year's industry placement and has been working a dead end at asda for years. Of course that is just one example but, you have to think what field you want to enter, and think from the employers perspective. I'm not sure about psychology and how elitist the field is but you have to remember psychology is a very common degree and the supply demand ratio isn't great you need to do everything you can to maximise your chances and make yourself as employable as possible. It's up to you to decide just how much a university's name and reputation speaks for you. Make no mistake the world of graduate work is very competitive.

This isn't about love because if your boyfriend loved you he would want only the absolute best for you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending