The Student Room Group

Topless protesters disrupt Muslim conference, Paris

Two Femen protesters were arrested after baring their breasts at a controversial conference near Paris on the role of Muslim women.

According to Inna Shevchenko, a spokeswoman for the feminist protest group, two fundamentalist preachers were discussing the question of “whether wives should be beaten or not” when the activists, aged 25 and 31, ripped off their Arab-style cloaks and jumped on to the stage on Saturday evening. One had the slogan “No one subjugates me” inked across her torso. The other bore the words “I am my own prophet.”

The protesters, aged 25 and 31, grabbed microphones and shouted feminist slogans in French and Arabic before being roughly bundled off the stage by about 15 men and handed over to police. Video footage of the incident shows a man apparently kicking one of the women.

According to Ms Shevchenko, some of the men shouted “dirty whores” and “kill them”. She thanked the police for protecting the two women, who were taken into custody. They were released after being questioned by prosecutors, who said they would continue investigating what happened. Conference organisers said they would press charges against the activists.

They were not alone in taking exception to the presence of fundamentalist preachers at the event, where shopping and cooking were showcased as appropriate “feminine activities”. One speaker at the conference has reportedly posted calls on social networks for women to veil their faces or risk hellfire and sexual assault in the afterlife.

Nearly 6,000 people signed an online petition against the event.

Twitter posts called for the protesters to be stoned or collectively raped.

On Facebook, the conference organisers urged Muslims to “stand together” and attend the final day of the event on Sunday. They said it was “the victim of an anti-Muslim media frenzy.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11862220/Topless-protesters-disrupt-Muslim-conference-on-women.html

for certain reasons pics are not embeded in this thread.

Scroll to see replies

you go girlfriends :wink:
“whether wives should be beaten or not”

Such a difficult questions they need a conference about it :biggrin:

But as we know beating's OK it's just a matter of how hard

But good on them for standing up to these idiots
(edited 8 years ago)
What was the purpose of going topless?
I can never understand feminism, I mean why?
Original post by Blue_Mason

Because they decide what they do or don't do with their body
The fact that this conference is even being held in Europe says it all to be honest.

The sooner we flush fundamentalism and religion down the toilet, the better off this world will be.

The point is, this thread probably wouldn't exist if they hadn't.
Original post by chazwomaq
The point is, this thread probably wouldn't exist if they hadn't.

and we wouldn't have known muslims are holding conferences in Europe about wife beating
Radical feminists:rolleyes:

Whatever the topic of the convention may be, it was a peaceful discussion and was an opportunity for discussion.

There's nothing remotely being achieved by being topless in front of a large crowd of people and expecting them to take you seriously:pierre:

-- in reply to other posts below --

Original post by BaconandSauce
Isn't a peaceful discussion about wife beating a oxymoron

:lolwut: i suppose all discussions regarding violence should never be discussed in a peaceful manner? is that really what you're implying?

Original post by The Epicurean
According to the Independents sources, the topic of discussion was regarding the beating of wives.

"According to Inna Shevchenko a spokesperson for the Ukranian-born feminist group, the imams were discussing the beating of women."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/topless-femen-protesters-kicked-during-scuffles-at-muslim-conference-about-women-10499668.html

Judging by the kicking of one of the women I seen in the video, one can attain an understanding of their views on this topic. If it was the case that they were condoning violence against women, then it would be up for debate how 'peaceful' this discussion was.

Quite, they were discussing it, but it was an opportunity for any opposing views to be put forward in a good manner, not for this brutish behaviour - they decided to wade in and interrupt an event for discussion organised/paid for by the hosts, and expect their voices to be taken seriously..

Y'know I don't find this very different than the thugs who burn poppies at processions - you won't achieve any sympathy for your concerns by behaving in such a manner.

Original post by Fango_Jett
Yeah, kicking those protesters who had been subdued already and chanting for them to be killed. What a peaceful bunch.

:rolleyes:from the sources I've read, they waited until security was dragging them off the stage, whereby one guy tried to take the opportunity to kick them..

tl;dr - I don't sympathise with the "protesters" at all, they are thugs and do nothing positive at all for women's rights.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by getfunky!

Whatever the topic of the convention may be, it was a peaceful discussion and was an opportunity for discussion.

These guys want women to cover up their whole bodies so they cover as little as possible without breaking public nudity laws?

Also boobs are persuasive.
Reply 11
That was just shameful. Why did they storm the place topless? What was the need? Protest outside but don't disrupt a family event.
Reply 12

They were trying to teach others about cultural/and religion differences. The discussion was highlighting the misconceptions. Please look into it further or maybe try to attend a conference yourself to ask sensible questions to the sheikhs. I went last time and there was many people from various religions asking questions respectfully.
Original post by AzimH
That was just shameful. Why did they storm the place topless? What was the need? Protest outside but don't disrupt a family event.

"A family event"... On whether wives should be beaten or not.

:facepalm:
FEMEN are about as bad as the fundamentalists they are trying to upset.

Taken from the FEMEN Website *Some viewers may find it graphic*

Spoiler

Original post by Law-Hopeful

Got to teach them early or they might begin to question the violence!

rather than accepting it as the word of God
Original post by AzimH
They were trying to teach others about cultural/and religion differences. The discussion was highlighting the misconceptions. Please look into it further or maybe try to attend a conference yourself to ask sensible questions to the sheikhs. I went last time and there was many people from various religions asking questions respectfully.

So how hard to beat the wife and why do you nasty kaffirs think it such a bad thing - type of thing

The only question I have to ask people who justify violence towards women based of God's word is how far can you **** off.
(edited 8 years ago)

- It gets attention which is the point of protests.

- Boobs are part of what it is to be female.

-If you are pretesting against how women are treated by Islam, getting your tits out may prove to be useful considering how you are probbaly against how women have to cover up to some degree.

Interesting to see if the peeps that decry the loony nature of feminism adopt a pro or more sympathetic stance to tits out feminism now that is aimed at Muslims. Anything that lets you bash Muslims huh?

“whether wives should be beaten or not”

Such a difficult questions they need a conference about it :biggrin:

But as we know beating's OK it's just a matter of how hard

But good on them for standing up to these idiots

To be fair we have these kinds of debates when it comes to our children...
(edited 8 years ago)
Good! The conference and the way they acted was EXACTLY why this protest NEEDED to happen. I salute FEMEN for standing up to what I believe are REAL issues. Not just the "free the nipple campaign" and the western ideas of feminism. We do need feminism in the west but it seemed like no one was brave enough to actually openly take a stand on middle east-religion etc in this way.

They caused outrage, that was the point! I don't understand why people don't seem to understand that.

Also Beating them and calling them whores? disgusting vile behaviour.
Reply 19
Original post by Law-Hopeful

Read my other comment you mug. They were being taught about misconceptions. I won't bother replying to you in advanced since I see no point in arguing with someone who is Anti-religion. Fair enough mate.

Quick Reply