The Student Room Group

A level choices

I'm taking Maths,Chemistry, Physics and Biology for my AS levels.
My maths teacher said that looking at my past results, I wont be able to get higher than a C in maths.
Should I carry on with maths and try and prove him wrong or should i drop it and focus on my other subjects?
Reply 1
Original post by EmilyStudley
My maths teacher said that looking at my past results, I wont be able to get higher than a C in maths.
Should I carry on with maths and try and prove him wrong or should i drop it and focus on my other subjects?

Well, what are your past results? :biggrin: What did you get at GCSE?

How are you finding the AS course so far?
Reply 2
well I had a B for GCSE but was only taught what I needed to get a B and nothing more, so now the AS course includes a lot of the stuff we weren't taught so now I need to learn that as well.
The AS course so far is okay but I don't know if its worth the trouble of learning all of the GCSE A and A* grade work as well.
Reply 3
well I had a B for GCSE but was only taught what I needed to get a B and nothing more, so now the AS course includes a lot of the stuff we weren't taught so now I need to learn that as well.
The AS course so far is okay but I don't know if its worth the trouble of learning all of the GCSE A and A* grade work as well.

You need strong foundations, otherwise you'll struggle later on!

In particular you need to be very confident with things like indices, surds, quadratics, trig and general algebra (rearrangement etc).
Reply 4
Original post by davros
You need strong foundations, otherwise you'll struggle later on!

In particular you need to be very confident with things like indices, surds, quadratics, trig and general algebra (rearrangement etc).

Okay. Thanks for your help! I think I'll try it and see what happens.

If you are finding it ok so far, and are willing to put the work in, then id stick with it.
Id Try not to be too put off by what your teacher said Like you said, teachers can be proved wrong.
And if you really wanted to, you could drop it after AS.
What do you want to do at uni?

You can always go and get a maths tutor if you can't keep up :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by Emma:-)
If you are finding it ok so far, and are willing to put the work in, then id stick with it.
Id Try not to be too put off by what your teacher said Like you said, teachers can be proved wrong.
And if you really wanted to, you could drop it after AS.
What do you want to do at uni?

I have absolutely no clue about uni! Probably something to do with science so maths isn't a must, but I do enjoy it
Reply 8

My advice that I would give you is that do the subjects that you can achieve the highest grades in. Universties look more at your grades than subjects. I would only take maths and push yourself to do hard work if you want to do something related to the subject at universities, otherwise, don't take the subject. Good Luck!
I have absolutely no clue about uni! Probably something to do with science so maths isn't a must, but I do enjoy it

If you enjoy it then id carry on with it.
And although it may not be a must for science, it might look good.
Thanks for all the useful help!

Quick Reply

Latest