The Student Room Group

Topless protesters disrupt Muslim conference, Paris

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AzimH
I see there being no point in arguing since we are always going to have conflicting views.

Not necessarily; intellectual flexibility is something I value very highly - so if you can make a convincing case for your position and explain why my position is flawed/wrong then I will gladly change my views.

So, I'll ask again, how did they clear up these "misconceptions" and what conclusions did they come to re: whether (read: when/how) it is permissible for a man to beat his wife?
Reply 41
[video="youtube;2powffb5xzY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2powffb5xzY[/video]
Original post by Blue_Mason
But there is a sensible method of protesting.I mean shouting whisky being topless with words scribble on your body is disgusting.How am I meant to take feminist seriously?
Feminism is not about causing a seen and going topless.

It's not about you it's about how they wanted to protest

Tell me what would be a sensible way to protest at a muslim conference where violence towards women is being discussed (and not in a '**** that's bad way but a 'the quran says beat them way so it's OK to beat them it's just how we beat them way)?
But there is a sensible method of protesting.I mean shouting whisky being topless with words scribble on your body is disgusting.How am I meant to take feminist seriously?
Feminism is not about causing a seen and going topless.

It brought the attention that conference to international headlines. I doubt people would have heard about it if FEMEN had not come in. The way that they were beaten after already being subdued and the topic of the conference is absolutely disgusting, and should not be tolerated.
Original post by AzimH
Fair enough, that's why I see there being no point in arguing since we are always going to have conflicting views.

Well, my view of Islam is that its scriptures advocate the hitting of women by husbands if they are not sufficiently obedient. Some Moslems argue, in an attempt to make Islam more palatable to the infidels of the west (with little or no support from the words of either Allah or Mohammed), that such beating must be very light or with a ridiculous weapon. Whether it is permitted in Islam or not, even a ceremonial beating is completely unacceptable and is representative (since this is not a reciprocal arrangement) of women's subjugation to men in Islam.

Perhaps you could tell me where I have gone wrong and how our views will always differ.
What was the purpose of going topless?
I can never understand feminism, I mean why?

It should be obvious to anyone of even the meanest intelligence that naked breasts lead to more headlines and press attention, and that they symbolise the protestors' right to do with their body as they themselves decide.
Original post by BaconandSauce
It's not about you it's about how they wanted to protest

Tell me what would be a sensible way to protest at a muslim conference where violence towards women is being discussed (and not in a '**** that's bad way but a 'the quran says beat them way so it's OK to beat them it's just how we beat them way)?

Getting an organised group and rally on like civil human beings.I see it as the negative side of feminism.
Original post by Good bloke
It should be obvious to anyone of even the meanest intelligence that naked breasts lead to more headlines and press attention, and that they symbolise the protestors' right to do with their body as they themselves decide.

Do not insult my intelligence.
Well I struggle to see how being topless can be a reasonable form of protesting, but hey I am the idiot.
Getting an organised group and rally on like civil human beings.I see it as the negative side of feminism.

Do you think that would have had any Impact?

I like to think Rosa Parks had the right attitude

It's not their sensibilities that need to be protected they need to be confronted in every way and at all times and their is nothing civil about abusing women so why should they remain civil?

I didn't. I assumed your question was rhetorical and deliberately provocative, and that you already knew the answer.

Well I struggle to see how being topless can be a reasonable form of protesting, but hey I am the idiot.

However, in view of this statement, perhaps my assumption was incorrect.

Just looked at your posting history and I can see why the female form may frighten you

But dude you sound so far in the closet you must be living in narnia (not that this is anyway a bad thing)
(edited 8 years ago)
Going topless uninvited on the stage of an Islamic conference and adopting the neo-colonialist attitude that your extreme form of "feminism" is a one size fits all solution for every woman out there is the perfect way to promote pluralism and healthy discussion.

We should also get Islamic extremists to storm Femen conferences holding up pictures of the women enslaved by ISIS. That should also promote tolerance and harmony :smile:

That was sarcasm in case some of you arrogant quasi-intellectuals didn't understand.
Original post by Inzamam99
Going topless uninvited on the stage of an Islamic conference and adopting the neo-colonialist attitude that your extreme form of "feminism" is a one size fits all solution for every woman out there is the perfect way to promote pluralism and healthy discussion.

We should also get Islamic extremists to storm Femen conferences holding up pictures of the women enslaved by ISIS. That should also promote tolerance and harmony :smile:

That was sarcasm in case some of you arrogant quasi-intellectuals didn't understand.

Poe in action :biggrin:

Suicide bombings may raise more awareness about Western colonialism, imperialism and hypocrisy- they most definitely lead to more headlines and press attention :smile:

It's OK, I didn't expect your logic to be any less flawed :dunce:
Religion of peace
Reply 55
Suicide bombings may raise more awareness about Western colonialism, imperialism and hypocrisy- they most definitely lead to more headlines and press attention :smile:

That moment when someone compares topless women to suicide bombers :facepalm:
healthy discussion.

They interrupted a discussion about Moslem husbands assaulting their wives, and the scriptural authority for why and how to do so. I'd say that whatever followed was healthier than that discussion (except for the exhortations by some of the men to kill the protestors, and the violence against the women, of course).

Can you tell me why it is so common for Moslems to call for death to those that they simply disagree with, in circumstances that others would simply stand back and be angry or frustrated about?

It is interesting that you resort to insult so quickly. But then you seem to equate headline-grabbing gimmicks with death and destruction.
Original post by Tooly
That moment when someone compares topless women to suicide bombers :facepalm:

both cause the Muslim male to explode!

Spoiler

They interrupted a discussion about Moslem husbands assaulting their wives, and the scriptural authority for why and how to do so. I'd say that whatever followed was healthier than that discussion (except for the exhortations by some of the men to kill the protestors, and the violence against the women, of course).

Can you tell me why it is so common for Moslems to call for death to those that they simply disagree with, in circumstances that others would simply stand back and be angry or frustrated about?

I can't believe the extent to which you cannot see beyond your wall of arrogance.

Given the beliefs held by certain conservative Muslims which include misogyny and wife beating in certain situations, these conferences are wholly necessary to promote debate and discussion and explore more liberal traditions of Islam which were prevalent in the Muslim world not just in medieval times but also in modern times before the proliferation of Wahabbism spread its nefarious tentacles from the 1970s onwards.

As an example I have been to two conferences exploring Islam and Misogyny and Islam and Evolution which did their best to explore the topics from a neutral perspective as well as a theological one.

Suffice to say, the presence of these naked FEMEN women combined with distrust and ridicule from society is more likely to lead further insular behaviour in the Muslim community and lead to more people turning to closed minded interpretations and beliefs as opposed to integrating into a society where they are automatically viewed with suspicion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending