The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wanderlust&Tea
For Newcastle and any other uni who requires evidence of sustained academic endeavours, does anyone have any idea who we prove that? I did my gamsat last year, do they get the results for that even if they're not a gamsat uni? Should I just mention it in my PS?

If you've completed a degree in the last 3 years that counts as well I think? If not, yeah just include it on your PS. Is there a place you can write it in on your UCAS application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
If you've completed a degree in the last 3 years that counts as well (I emailed them). If not, yeah just include it on your PS. Is there a place you can write it in on your UCAS application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, cocked up the edit there #mobileissues

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Clunkles
If you've completed a degree in the last 3 years that counts as well I think? If not, yeah just include it on your PS. Is there a place you can write it in on your UCAS application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I graduated in 2011 and I can't find anywhere to put it in the form. Ugh. That's not going to be awkward to write about at all, particularly since I'm applying to 2 gamsat unis too. :P
I graduated in 2011 and I can't find anywhere to put it in the form. Ugh. That's not going to be awkward to write about at all, particularly since I'm applying to 2 gamsat unis too. :P

Aw mate, you could drop them an email and ask? They got back to me within a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Looking for some advice on applications based on my UKCAT score

I got 2710 (677.5 avg) Band 1 which is obviously not as high as I was hoping for.

I was looking at applying to Barts, Newcastle and Warwick as these are my only options due to a non science degree and a levels.

Is it even worth applying with this score or should I forget about it this year.

Outside of the UKCAT i've got a 1st in Biological Psychology, 2+ years working as a HCA, a weeks shadowing (psychiatrist), and hopes and dreams :smile:

Any advice very welcome...
Thanks
Reply 1985
Does anyone know where we can get a list of what our reference needs to say? Also, do they give it to us and we put it on UCAS or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1986
Original post by NHSFan
For Birmingham, you have to have already graduated at the time of application, so you can't apply when in your third year, unfortunately.

Original post by Natha_Lite
Hey! I'm a third year biomedical scientist at Southampton too :smile:

Kings, Newcastle and Southampton would be good choices if you have a high UKCAT. Warwick require 70 hours of work experience over the last two years so if you have less than that I'd recommend avoiding there.

Thanks guys :smile:

Also, I'm just starting my UCAS application and I was wondering if anybody knew if we apply through an organisation or as an individual now?
Original post by SPT95
Thanks guys :smile:

Also, I'm just starting my UCAS application and I was wondering if anybody knew if we apply through an organisation or as an individual now?

Individual I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DGullis
Hi,

Looking for some advice on applications based on my UKCAT score

I got 2710 (677.5 avg) Band 1 which is obviously not as high as I was hoping for.

I was looking at applying to Barts, Newcastle and Warwick as these are my only options due to a non science degree and a levels.

Is it even worth applying with this score or should I forget about it this year.

Outside of the UKCAT i've got a 1st in Biological Psychology, 2+ years working as a HCA, a weeks shadowing (psychiatrist), and hopes and dreams :smile:

Any advice very welcome...
Thanks

For the sake of £20 you may as well apply. There could be a swing in UKCAT scores, and worst case scenario is you get rejected and have more familiarity with the application process for next year.

Have you looked at 5 year courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I've been trying to find out the UKCAT cut offs for Warwick for the past few years, would be much appreciated if anyone knows these. On a side note, I have UKCAT this weekend, so would really appreciate some last minute tips, thanks :smile:
Original post by xertyl
Hey, I've been trying to find out the UKCAT cut offs for Warwick for the past few years, would be much appreciated if anyone knows these. On a side note, I have UKCAT this weekend, so would really appreciate some last minute tips, thanks :smile:

The lowest UKCAT score for an applicant with an undergraduate degree who was invited to selection centre was 2,800 for 2015 entry; 2,940 for 2014 entry and 2,810 for 2013.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by x_meg_x
The lowest UKCAT score for an applicant with an undergraduate degree who was invited to selection centre was 2,800 for 2015 entry; 2,940 for 2014 entry and 2,810 for 2013.

Hope that helps :smile:

thank you so much
3rd stab at the UKCAT today and finally crack that elusive 700 barrier!

VR - 640
QR - 810
AR - 740
DA - 770

Average - 740 !!

Didn't get any interviews the past 2 years due to average UKCAT scores.
I've a 1st class degree in biomedical science, been a HCA for nearly 4 years and starting a MSc in microbiology and infection next week! Fingers crossed I get an interview!
Original post by christyriot

VR - 640
QR - 810
AR - 740
DA - 770

Average - 740 !!

I've a 1st class degree in biomedical science, been a HCA for nearly 4 years and starting a MSc in microbiology and infection next week! Fingers crossed I get an interview!

Congratulations! You must be so pleased! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw781
Does anyone know where we can get a list of what our reference needs to say? Also, do they give it to us and we put it on UCAS or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems to vary by course - some don't say anything about the reference (and barely take it into account other than a general check) and others say a bit about what they expect the reference to cover. So I went through my options and basically came up with a few points (really not much) that I've asked my referee to cover, in addition to giving them the UCAS guidance form.

Yeah I've been wondering the same thing, I've mentioned it in my personal statement as part of a general comment on recent study, which I guess is relevant to all courses (I graduated a few years ago and have only done GAMSAT and other professional qualifications since then).

I wondered if they might ask it at interview, or include it on a form that asks about work experience, post-application, but thought it would do no harm to just shoehorn it into the personal statement anyway.
Hello everyone! I'm not actually applying for the 2016 entry but I'm thinking of purchasing Griffith's GAMSAT review. I'm just wondering if this is the website from which I can purchase it? http://www.gamsatreview.com/Gamsat_Review_Order_Page.html
Original post by christyriot

VR - 640
QR - 810
AR - 740
DA - 770

Average - 740 !!

Wow!! Well done!!!
Does anyone know if our referees need to write a fresh/new reference for re-applicants? I'm emailing my referee and I want to say that she is welcome to use my old reference to save time but I'm not sure if this is actually okay.
Original post by LuceeeeeT
Congratulations! You must be so pleased! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm mega pleased and very relieved!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending