The Student Room Group

Prom: to go or not to go?

Hi, my issue is that I don't have any close friends at school... but I still want to go to prom. I just hate the idea of missing out. But the big problem is, prom is on my 18th birthday. I just have no idea whether or not I should go. With my year 11 prom, I kind of tagged after this group that I'm in (they're not proper friends; they don't invite me when meeting up outside of school and I'm not really involved in their banter, I just sit with them at lunch sometimes). Being a tag-along kind of sucks; you're not wanted, they just tolerate you and talk to you when they have nothing else to do. So I'm really stuck. I have this thing about my birthday, where it has to be a 'perfect' day. I really don't want to be feeling unwanted or left out on my birthday. I also don't want to be sat at home thinking 'I could be at prom right now, I'm missing out'. At the moment, I don't really sit with them at lunch much anymore, I eat in the study because it's better to be alone than with people who make you feel bad. I don't want to relinquish that pride and compromise my integrity by tagging along after them at prom. I don't want to be 'that' girl. Perhaps I could go alone? I might even try and persuade the teachers to let me bring a plus 1. What do you guys think?
Why are you thinking about prom at this time of the year...

This is A-levels....
I've kind of got the same problem, im in yr 13 so my prom is this yr. Ive fallen out with my friends so im on my own in school, is fine because i canget work done and i like my space. But i don't want to be on my own at prom 😯 so im not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
What on earth. Get your priorities right.

Birthday's come and go. Get banging a levels, go to Imperial/Oxbridge, get a high-paying job and then rent a yacht and spend your birthday there- you can bring as many plus 1's as you want.

I would say go- its just a bit of fun, but don't waste your time thinking about it so much. If you dont go, no one really cares- it's only worth regretting about prom if you peaked in seconday school.
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
Why are you thinking about prom at this time of the year...

This is A-levels....

because it's in march
Original post by thepheonixburns
I've kind of got the same problem, im in yr 13 so my prom is this yr. Ive fallen out with my friends so im on my own in school, is fine because i canget work done and i like my space. But i don't want to be on my own at prom 😯 so im not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

aw it's nice to know I'm not alone, I wish you the best of luck
I mean its hard sometimes wen you've got stuff on ur mind but ive got my family that's all that matters

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean its hard sometimes wen you've got stuff on ur mind but ive got my family that's all that matters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you're right, also my other friends outside of school who are actually worth it :smile:
That's my problem i dont have friends outside of school..im trying to look for a club to join. But i haven't found any or i dont have the money to pay for memberships

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's my problem i dont have friends outside of school..im trying to look for a club to join. But i haven't found any or i dont have the money to pay for memberships

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, maybe there are some free clubs? You could also make friends online, it's better than nothing. Also, I don't think it's the end of the world if you don't have friends at this stage - if you're going to university you will likely make friends there and the same if you're going into employment. That is the great thing about being in year 13!
Reply 10
Its your 18th, why not celebrate with your famiy, that way you wont be thinking about how you could have been at prom. Honestly, dont go if you feel like you wont have a good time (be honest, will you?). Would you rather go and feel like your 18th was ruined because Prom was so bad or stay home and at least try to have a good time in a comfortable environment? Try going out for a b day meal, enjoy yourself how you truly want to x
Original post by SharDee
Its your 18th, why not celebrate with your famiy, that way you wont be thinking about how you could have been at prom. Honestly, dont go if you feel like you wont have a good time (be honest, will you?). Would you rather go and feel like your 18th was ruined because Prom was so bad or stay home and at least try to have a good time in a comfortable environment? Try going out for a b day meal, enjoy yourself how you truly want to x
Thank you for your advice, I'm going to have a very long think about what I want to do. Luckily I have plenty of time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest