The Student Room Group

Am I bringing too much?

Hi, moving into uni in london in a couple of weeks.

First of all, the room seems to be large from what ive heard...its listed as an extra large deluxe.

So far I have filled 3 suitcases (around 40L to 60L each) with clothes and valuable stuff. Filled 2 everyday school rucksacks with tech and books. And got a box full of dinnerware, dry food and toiletries. And bringing some bedding stuff in a basket.

Pretty subjective question, but I am bringing too much for a room the size of a normal hotel room?
That sounds like a lot - though I haven't been to uni myself and can't exactly tell you what's too much.
Reply 2
Sounds fine to me.... I have two suitcases and 6 large boxes of stuff as well as bedding haha although i do have *quite* a bit. Some may even say too much :tongue:
Reply 3
I think it depends on how often you are going ot be going home and transporting it all about.
I take a fair amount (we'll go with 1 car full) with me and my room isn't particularly large but then I avoid going home apart from when I have to.

I think the question is: do you need it? do you want it? if you didn't take it and either of those things were the case how easy would it be to buy when you're there or get from home?
Sounds about average really. The amount of stuff people bring really varies - it depends on the person and the type of accommodation you have (e.g. if you are in catered halls you're not going to need as much as someone in self-catered).

I live in a studio flat on my own and fill a small car full. I don't bring many clothes but I take my desktop PC which takes up a lot of room. Generally I think as long as it all fits in the car, it's fine.
Reply 5
I bring around 2 carfuls each year so sounds good, just make sure you have essentials, it's easy to buy stuff for cheap if you forget.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silentc0re
Hi, moving into uni in london in a couple of weeks.

First of all, the room seems to be large from what ive heard...its listed as an extra large deluxe.

So far I have filled 3 suitcases (around 40L to 60L each) with clothes and valuable stuff. Filled 2 everyday school rucksacks with tech and books. And got a box full of dinnerware, dry food and toiletries. And bringing some bedding stuff in a basket.

Pretty subjective question, but I am bringing too much for a room the size of a normal hotel room?

All I can say is, I took three cars when moving into my first year of university.
How did I manage to filll three cars? I have no idea.

Therefore, whatever you are taking, is fine!
If you can get your parents to hang around, if they're taking you, then you can send back anything that you don't have space for. :smile:

P.S. You're not the real silentc0re :wink:
Sounds similar to what I have
I have one large suitcase, one small suitcase, a tub, a laundry bag full of misc stuff, two under bed storages and additional bedding stuff (yet to pack everyday essentials, laptop & dvds)
Actually I have more than u haha whoops
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply