The Student Room Group

What's the London black girl accent called?

Scroll to see replies

They don't want to be educated. It's clearly a ****take. The reaction they want is attention and anger.

So I say satirise their thread, give them an unenthused one liner and leave.
Original post by xoflower
You're saying this and you're black? Are you mentally ill or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol is OP black? :K:
Original post by Cherie Amour
Lol is OP black :K:

Yeah she is.
Reply 23
Original post by Fruli
Black girls in London have a way if speaking that I find extremely irritating. It's what I would describe as a ghetto accent, but I was wondering if it has a name?

I realise some black girls in London get good grades and go onto professional roles. Does their accent also change when they get older?

Apologies if I've offended anyone. I'm black, but my accent is a standard RP one, I struggle to relate to relate with or speak to people with ghetto British accents.

That said, I like African accents, I find them funny, especially when they are making tannoy announcements on TFL hehe. They are funny, when they aren't being aggressive.

The accent you're talking about I've heard called a south-London patois.

Personally I've been told that I have a "BBC accent" (through no fault of my own), but whatever you are you must 2nd generation+ because nobody with African/Carrib parents or grandparents would talk so disrespectfully.
Original post by Black Cat
Yeah she is.

Well unless someone on here has met her who's to say if she is or isn't-but she could very well be black and just providing critical social commentary in the false hopes that it would inspire black people not to speak that way. Regardless it's dumb whether troll or sellout :smile:

At OP: I'm sure you've heard people from all races in one area for the most part sharing the same accent and colloquialisms because that is what accent and colloquialism is. It has nothing to do with race; it's about region. Dialect is learned the same way language is; by ear.
Lol is OP black? :K:

You would honestly be suprised by the amount of black people who hold similar views to the OP. Some believe they are better than other black people because they speak "properly", don't act "ghetto" or maybe grew up in a white area. There's that mentality of "I may be black, but I'm not like other black people".
Original post by Asurat
The accent you're talking about I've heard called a south-London patois.

Personally I've been told that I have a "BBC accent" (through no fault of my own), but whatever you are you must 2nd generation+ because nobody with African/Carrib parents or grandparents would talk so disrespectfully.

I was going to say patois but it's not. And don't single out South London, Patois is spoken in East London, West, North...Manchester and Brum and NY and Canada and all. And white people speak it as well and South Asians and East, East Euros...everyone has spoken it if they are from the area or affect the accent on purpose.

Also, she said accent, not slang. Patois/pidgin is accent. OP seems to be criticising pronunciation, however the stupidity of the OP put me off and I stopped reading halfway through.
Original post by Jibola240
You would honestly be suprised by the amount of black people who hold similar views to the OP. Some believe they are better than other black people because they speak "properly", don't act "ghetto" or maybe grew up in a white area. There's that mentality of "I may be black, but I'm not like other black people".

I included this possibility in a later post. :smile: It doesn't reduce their stupidity.
Reply 28
Original post by TheReader
Is BBC an acronym of some sort?

As in television.
Reply 29
I was going to say patois but it's not. And don't single out South London, Patois is spoken in East London, West, North...Manchester and Brum and NY and Canada and all. And white people speak it as well and South Asians and East, East Euros...everyone has spoken it if they are from the area or affect the accent on purpose.

Also, she said accent, not slang. Patois/pidgin is accent. OP seems to be criticising pronunciation, however the stupidity of the OP put me off and I stopped reading halfway through.

I'd say that patois/pidgin are languages rather than accents but that's semantics. I know that the accent isn't exclusive to north-London, I live in east Anglia and people here still use some of the language, I've just heard it called a South-London Patois, not London-patois etc.
I think OP will have a nice time when (s)he realises that speaking in RP won't separate her from any other black people in some people's eyes even if she wants it to.
Reply 30
Perhaps OP doesn't want to be separated from other black people. Maybe she just didn't carefully thought out how to express herself?! :dontknow:

Maybe. I'm not here to play thought-police, I just don't like it when people talk like that about accents (i.e regional dialect automatically meaning ill-educated and unintelligent), as if talking like Siri means you're any better than anyone else, I'd say it's a pet-peeve.
I'm a black girl in London. I disagree with what you're saying. There's a correlation between level of study and the accent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most of white people who speak patois are probably just imitators.

Not really. Black people don't deliberately speak slang because it's learnt by ear. So why do white people have an on/off switch and blacks don't?

There are white people who really don't know how to speak properly, you know.

It comes from speaking one language and then how it sounds when you learn another, which everyone can say they have from any race. It then comes from flair and everyone has their own forms of slang and common terms.

Original post by Asurat
I'd say that patois/pidgin are languages rather than accents but that's semantics. I know that the accent isn't exclusive to north-London, I live in east Anglia and people here still use some of the language, I've just heard it called a South-London Patois, not London-patois etc.
I think OP will have a nice time when (s)he realises that speaking in RP won't separate her from any other black people in some people's eyes even if she wants it to.

I've never heard it be called any kind of London Patois anything. Normally that's said to criticise Londoners. Patois is Patois.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
There is no "black girl accent", delusional child.

Yeah, first time I loled at your post.:lol:
Original post by maggie43
I'm a black girl in London. I disagree with what you're saying. There's a correlation between level of study and the accent

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you saying someone is uneducated because of how they use flair in their diction while with friends, for example?
As far as choice of words like saying, "oi, bruv" that is not exclusive to blacks because it's not pertaining to me and I am black, nor is it a symbol of uneducated people.
As far as pronunciation, people can't help that if they're immigrants.
Reply 35
Original post by angelcake123
Most of the black girls I know don't sound 'ghetto'. However, I'm not from south east London so idk lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not from South East Lomdon either. I moved to the area thinking I'd want to buy a place in Greenwich. I've come to accept that I need stick to what I know!
Reply 36
Original post by Jibola240
The accent you're referring to is called Multicultral English or Jafaican accent. Within London(and parts of Kent and Essex), the majority of young black girls have the accent. But, I'd say for black girls above 25, it drops to about 25% to 30%. Even those who start off with it, drop a lot the features of the accent when they reach 18/19. You hear variants of the accent in other part of England like Birgmingham.

Interesting and thank you. That's very informative.
I hear alot of Asian chavs round my endz:colonhash:
Ghetto people sound cool anyways :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
racist

Quick Reply

Latest