The Student Room Group

How to get 4 A's at AS

I'm into my first week of A-levels and so far I am coping.
After getting 3A* 6A and 2Bs at GCSE I was really hoping for some advice on how I can transfer this success over to A-level

I am studying:

Business studies
Economics
English literature
Maths

Scroll to see replies

English Lit is all about the paper paper questions and making up your own. You'll also have to ace the coursework (though I'm not sure whether you guys do coursework anymore? :dontknow:)
Reply 2
No coursework in AS. In fact none of my subjects do... However, since A-levels have been reformed all the A-levels except for maths are 'new courses'. However, I doubt it is entirely different from the previous one. I'm fairly certain the previous course had the same texts (Othello, The great Gatsby and Wuthering heights.)
Original post by thecatwithnohat
English Lit is all about the paper paper questions and making up your own. You'll also have to ace the coursework (though I'm not sure whether you guys do coursework anymore? :dontknow:)
Reply 3
To be honest, there is really no formula for getting an A for AS as everyone's techniques is different. You learn and figure things out as you go along but all i can say is put the effort into your work right from now and don't leave revision to the last minute
Original post by PokerJuantas
No coursework in AS. In fact none of my subjects do... However, since A-levels have been reformed all the A-levels except for maths are 'new courses'. However, I doubt it is entirely different from the previous one. I'm fairly certain the previous course had the same texts (Othello, The great Gatsby and Wuthering heights.)

Hmm, it's annoying because I don't know if all the past questions for the texts you've mentioned are void now that they're in the syllabus of the past :lol:

I guess you'll just have to regularly test yourself or make up your own question to answer every so often in order to not forget what you've learned 1 year down the line :yep:

With Maths, it's all about the past papers. If you don't ask your teacher, then ask your teacher - I cannot emphasize this enough.

Spoiler

Hmm, it's annoying because I don't know if all the past questions for the texts you've mentioned are void now that they're in the syllabus of the past :lol:

I guess you'll just have to regularly test yourself or make up your own question to answer every so often in order to not forget what you've learned 1 year down the line :yep:

With Maths, it's all about the past papers. If you don't ask your teacher, then ask your teacher - I cannot emphasize this enough.

Did you get 4 As?
Original post by BioStudentx
Did you get 4 As?

no, AABB

not the best grades but :innocent:
no, AABB

Not bad but not quite my standard.

And you think that I'd care for a second about your standards because...?

No need to be rude about her grades, they're really good? When you get AAAA at AS then say they're not quite your standard but until then, don't undermine anyone
(edited 8 years ago)

Don't you think that was a bit hasty? It's not like your some sort of flawless academic..

How people can be so rude is beyond me, your grades are great, i would love to get them or similar tbh!
no, AABB

Those are fantastic grades, well done. :smile:
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
Don't you think that was a bit hasty? It's not like your some sort of flawless academic..

That's debatable.

Original post by Jerome85
No need to be rude about her grades, they're really good? When you get AAAA at AS then say they're not quite your standard

Achieved already.

Calm down I was joking :giggle:
Hahaha, love the spoiler. Around what time would you say it would be a good idea to start revising for A's?

Spoiler

May I also ask what subjects you did?

[AAAA] Achieved already.

That's debatable.

Achieved already.

Calm down I was joking :giggle:

a+ib
(edited 8 years ago)
no, AABB

And I got much worse
ABBB
Original post by Jerome85
If you achieved AAAA at AS why are you asking how to get them? Youre not some academic genius otherwise you would hae already done your AS results if youre what you claim to be ...

You're definitely getting me and the thread owner confused. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest