The Student Room Group

My dad came home wasted

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e aí rapaz
OP I'm amazed that your reaction to this is anger rather than concern. Why would a usually abstinent guy suddenly get so drunk?

And he's not the guy to buy into mental problems and all that. His philosophy is just to set everything aside and do your work. When I told him I was depressed he said I was just lazy. Next morning he made me get up at 5 and go for a run. No way this guy will "share his feelings".
Original post by Anonymous
I guess I'm not that mad he got drunk but that he drove drunk. He knows if he was to die in an accident my brothers and mum wouldn't have a house to live in or money for education.
Also he knew how much it would upset my mum and still did it. And I think their relationship has been shaky even before this.

Hellooooooo... earth calling......

It's very telling that your first selfish instinct is the effect it has on YOU and not that some other innocent person/s may have lost their lives as a result.

Perhaps the reason he did it is precisely because his relationship is shaky and he feels trapped.
Yeah he may have taught you everything in moderation but obviously he had a rough day and everyones allowed to get drunk once in a while, he shouldnt have drove drunk but from your original post you seemed alot more concerned about the fact he was drunk at all
Original post by ChickenMadness
you could always get a job at uni. Like the rest of us lmao.

millions of people in this country go to pubs and clubs and get drunk lol. Doesn't mean theyre alcoholic.

Yeah and I suppose part time uni job is enough to support my two younger brothers and myself. ok.
Original post by uberteknik
Hellooooooo... earth calling......

It's very telling that your first selfish instinct is the effect it has on YOU and not that some other innocent person/s may have lost their lives as a result.

Perhaps the reason he did it is precisely because his relationship is shaky and he feels trapped.

I was thinking about him crashing into a tree or a building. And do you sit all day and think about thousands of innocent people that die ever day?
Original post by BekahMay
Yeah he may have taught you everything in moderation but obviously he had a rough day and everyones allowed to get drunk once in a while, he shouldnt have drove drunk but from your original post you seemed alot more concerned about the fact he was drunk at all

Yeah I don't think I can make you people understand how unexpected and upsetting it was. I guess your dads get drunk every other night. I'm sorry for posting.
Yeah and I suppose part time uni job is enough to support my two younger brothers and myself. ok.

instead of relying on your dad to pay for uni lol.
Original post by ChickenMadness
instead of relying on your dad to pay for uni lol.

Why are you trying to make me feel guilty for being supported by parents like vast majority of students? What's wrong with you?
I don't even get a maintenance loan because I'm an EU student.
ok the whole driving thing is bad but so many people drink to get drunk its fun
Maybe he's suffering a midlife crisis.
maybe he just had a bad day? the driving thing is bad but it's really not a big deal that he got drunk, i get drunk at parties all the time and that doesnt make me an alcoholic
Maybe he just wanted to get ****ing mortal, allow my parents go out and drink (just because they have kids doesn't mean they have to end the party)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you trying to make me feel guilty for being supported by parents like vast majority of students? What's wrong with you?
I don't even get a maintenance loan because I'm an EU student. You really are a true c*nt.

you're using 'my dad won't be able to pay for uni if he's dead' as the reason for your concern lmfao. I don't think I'm the **** here haha
I was thinking about him crashing into a tree or a building. And do you sit all day and think about thousands of innocent people that die ever day?
I don't need to sit all day and think about it. Your first instinct was the effect it has on your welfare and not that you may have lost the dad you loved because he didn't get the support he clearly needs.
Yeah I don't think I can make you people understand how unexpected and upsetting it was. I guess your dads get drunk every other night. I'm sorry for posting.

That is so rude just assuming because we're not over reacting at a grown man having a drink that we have parents that get drunk all the time, my dad cant drink for medical reasons actually and ive only ever seen him drunk the once before that and it was no issue, he is a grown man, no he didnt drive like yours and of course you should be angry at him for that, (although probably more for endangering the public rather than probably having to get a maintanence loan at uni) i was just saying you seemed more angry at the fact he got drunk at all compared to the actual crime he commited
Original post by caracharlotte
maybe he just had a bad day? the driving thing is bad but it's really not a big deal that he got drunk, i get drunk at parties all the time and that doesnt make me an alcoholic

I never said he was an alcoholic. I just used to word to illustrate how uncharacteristic it is for him to get s*itfaced. Are you over 40 with a family? Why is everyone acting like a college student getting drunk on a Friday night is the same as a family 48 yo randomly getting wasted for no reason first time in 20 years?
First time in 20 years.. probably should give him a break - you are making it out like he carried out domestic violence. You claim he isnt an alcoholic which implies he is stressed out or having long term frustration about something, the way you are making out on here seems like he cant approach his own family to vent. How about you go have a talk and ask whats up instead of just worrying about the financial position you would be in if your dad had no job - I think that is more pathetic than your father being 48 and coming home drunk.
Original post by uberteknik
I don't need to sit all day and think about it. Your first instinct was the effect it has on your welfare and not that you may have lost the dad you loved because he didn't get the support he clearly needs.

Well my dad didn't care about us enough not to completely destroy our lives. How twatty and selfish of me to be upset about that. It wasn't my first instinct moron. I've been thinking about it the whole day. How can you not understand how betrayed we feel? It's like he never even loved us at all. F*cking tsr sociopath pricks, don't know what i was thinking posting here in the first place.
He got drunk ONCE, calm down. If you're really that worried maybe go and talk to him about it instead of asking random people on TSR who don't know your dad?
Original post by Proflash
First time in 20 years.. probably should give him a break - you are making it out like he carried out domestic violence. You claim he isnt an alcoholic which implies he is stressed out or having long term frustration about something, the way you are making out on here seems like he cant approach his own family to vent. How about you go have a talk and ask whats up instead of just worrying about the financial position you would be in if your dad had no job - I think that is more pathetic than your father being 48 and coming home drunk.

That's his fault and no one else's. He never talked to us about anything personal. I did try and talk to him and he shut me down. As expected. Read my other posts...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending