The Student Room Group

Maths Statistics or mechanics A level?

Are universities specific with what a level maths they prefer, especially oxbridge unis? By the way in University I would like to do Biomedical sciences or Forensic sciences. The A levels I am studying are Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Thank you!
Original post by liv...11
Are universities specific with what a level maths they prefer, especially oxbridge unis? By the way in University I would like to do Biomedical sciences or Forensic sciences. The A levels I am studying are Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Thank you!

Most A level Maths syllabuses contain two from M1/S1 and D1 - what options are you being offered?
I would pick mechanics because it's a total babe.

Though stats is probably your best option- I think they use standard deviation etc. in biology.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Most A level Maths syllabuses contain two from M1/S1 and D1 - what options are you being offered?

I'm doing core maths at the moment but they want me to pick Statistics or Mechanics for later on. My teacher said its best to do Mechanics as i'm also doing Physics but she said to check which one is preferred for what i want to do at uni .
I'm doing core maths at the moment but they want me to pick Statistics or Mechanics for later on. My teacher said its best to do Mechanics as i'm also doing Physics but she said to check which one is preferred for what i want to do at uni .

You need to do TWO applied modules - so are they suggesting S1/S2 or M1/M2? This is a more difficult approach (one AS unit, one A2 unit) than two from M1/S1 and D1 as all three are AS units.

Try to find out exactly which modules they are offering.

Perhaps stats in your case as it might fit your degree better? However, I don't understand why they are making you choose [I'm a maths teacher btw]
You should be able to take 2 modules, how are the school presenting modules to you?

The module choices don't really matter to unis - they know that most students don't get a choice in their modules (until they're doing FM or AFM, but that's not really relevant here).

However, for biomed/forensic science, stats would possibly be a better choice for you. Mechanics is only particularly important if you're a budding engineer, otherwise Stats ties in a little bit into biology. The advantage you'd see with either module isn't going to be huge (learning SUVATs came a bit faster for mechanics, and binomial distribution made sense straight away in biology), so it's really up to what you think is going to be more interesting.
The mechanics modules are most relevant to physics and I think are what universities prefer, the stats is probably most relevant to biomedical for calculating standard deviation etc. I suggest doing S1 and then whatever else you want to do. I did D1 and really enjoyed it but have never used any of the knowledge since.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by loperdoper
You should be able to take 2 modules, how are the school presenting modules to you?

The module choices don't really matter to unis - they know that most students don't get a choice in their modules (until they're doing FM or AFM, but that's not really relevant here).

However, for biomed/forensic science, stats would possibly be a better choice for you. Mechanics is only particularly important if you're a budding engineer, otherwise Stats ties in a little bit into biology. The advantage you'd see with either module isn't going to be huge (learning SUVATs came a bit faster for mechanics, and binomial distribution made sense straight away in biology), so it's really up to what you think is going to be more interesting.

ok, so universities don't really care whether you do mechanics or statistics?
Reply 8
Original post by AlesanaWill
The mechanics modules are most relevant to physics and I think are what universities prefer, the stats is probably most relevant to biomedical for calculating standard deviation etc. I suggest doing S1 and then whatever else you want to do. I did D1 and really enjoyed it but have never used any of the knowledge since.

ok, what is D1?
ok, so universities don't really care whether you do mechanics or statistics?

Not really if you're just doing Maths, as I said it's not all that common for students to get a choice with what module they do.
Reply 10
Original post by loperdoper
Not really if you're just doing Maths, as I said it's not all that common for students to get a choice with what module they do.

ok thanx :smile:
Reply 11
Well since you're doing Physics A Level I think mechanics would be really easy for you.

I did S1 in AS and M1 in A2 and found S1 easier, but I didn't do Physics
ok, what is D1?

D1 is decision maths. It's all about algorithms and finding the best way to solve various problems. You'll consider problems like finding the best path through some houses when you have to visit each house once, finding the shortest route to places, whether it's possible to visit each house and return to the starting position without repeating pathways, etc. I found it fun and interesting, but it's very different to core mathematics, and I would say it was a love it or hate it thing.
Reply 13
Original post by AlesanaWill
D1 is decision maths. It's all about algorithms and finding the best way to solve various problems. You'll consider problems like finding the best path through some houses when you have to visit each house once, finding the shortest route to places, whether it's possible to visit each house and return to the starting position without repeating pathways, etc. I found it fun and interesting, but it's very different to core mathematics, and I would say it was a love it or hate it thing.

Sounds interesting but I dont think we've been given that choice. Thanks though :smile:
Original post by ChronicBoredom
I would pick mechanics because it's a total babe.

Though stats is probably your best option- I think they use standard deviation etc. in biology.

On the other hand I would say that stats is easier picked up than mechanics, and most unis will have some sort of 'introductory' stats module in a biology related course for students with little stats background. If OP decided to switch to a physics related course then he would need to self-teach the mechanics he missed at A-level most likely. Also, he is studying A-level physics so mechanics would be more of a help at A-level and personally I would reccommend making the journey to university easier by taking the more important mechanics, as opposed to taking stats based on course content for a degree he hasn't even gotten onto yet.
DO NOT DO DECISION!

At least not seriously- it won't help you. I suggest M1 and then S1. Didn't realise you were taking Physics.. I took decision, learnt it over the weekend before and got an a- but no one actually cares.

If you are taking Engineering, mechanics is a definite ask... but for other courses I don't think admissions generally care.
Reply 16
Original post by ChronicBoredom
DO NOT DO DECISION!

At least not seriously- it won't help you. I suggest M1 and then S1. Didn't realise you were taking Physics.. I took decision, learnt it over the weekend before and got an a- but no one actually cares.

If you are taking Engineering, mechanics is a definite ask... but for other courses I don't think admissions generally care.

ok thanx :h:

Quick Reply

Latest