The Student Room Group

What's the London black girl accent called?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
racist

OP is also black lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol are you being serious?

I lived in SW London full of "ghetto girls" and they all had different accents.

There is no such thing as a "black girl" accent.:rofl:
Original post by Fruli
Interesting and thank you. That's very informative.

You fell for "Jafaican?" :erm:
Reply 43
Original post by Asurat
The accent you're talking about I've heard called a south-London patois.

Personally I've been told that I have a "BBC accent" (through no fault of my own), but whatever you are you must 2nd generation+ because nobody with African/Carrib parents or grandparents would talk so disrespectfully.

I'm first generation, born in Africa.

The accent I'm talking about is actually common in second generation kids.

By you call me disrespectful, some call me a coconut and others a snob.

Doesn't matter what label you give me. My views wil remain the same.
(edited 8 years ago)
To be honest I know the one you mean and I hate it too. Like way more than any other.
The hood
Reply 46
I don't even know how to respond to that :rolleyes:
Idiot detected.

The whites have been teaching you well.
Oh my gosh I know what you mean. I could never really decipher the accent. I'm Black but I don't have the accent though. .
Reply 49
I moved to London and have overheard many white and Asian girls with identical accents to the one you speak of.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It's called a London accent.

It's not just London ffs.
Original post by jazjaz
I moved to London and have overheard many white and Asian girls with identical accents to the one you speak of.

This, o mighty this.
Reply 52
Original post by Fruli

Done matter what label you give me. My views wil remain the same.

Ever sat next to an African with a blackberry on the bus, or better yet a bus full of them? Yikes. All accents can be annoying especially to those of us who didn't grow up in that particular area/culture.
Reply 53
Original post by Fruli

Done matter what label you give me. My views wil remain the same.

Enjoy your life bud
Original post by Cherie Amour
It's not just London ffs.

With all due respect, I have never heard this accent outside of London

Then again, I've never really seen black people outside of London. The rest of the country really just falls into the average chav accent, or some other scouse/geordie dialect I can't stand
Original post by Another
With all due respect, I have never heard this accent outside of London

Then again, I've never really seen black people outside of London. The rest of the country really just falls into the average chav accent, or some other scouse/geordie dialect I can't stand

Well I have. I am outside of London and hear it all the time. Is someone saying only Londoners speak patois?
Original post by Cherie Amour
Well I have. I am outside of London and hear it all the time. Is someone saying only Londoners speak patois?

I just youtube'd what a patois accent was... I apologise, this is completely not what I was thinking of. Actually, very rarely do I hear someone in London speaking like that... it doesn't sound anything like the bad-man ghetto hood gangster rap wanna be thing in South East

I think the accent that the OP is talking about, actually sounds nothing like an African or Carribean dialect at all (I actually quite like those). If she genuinely was referring to Patois, then I'll just leave the thread now.
Original post by chickenfoot
trying so hard not to call you an idiot. i don't even have an answer for you because i don't know what accent you're claiming black girls have.

some of the students on this site grate on me so much. your phrasing is so off key.

10/10 cool guy . legend ooooooverload

ahem. fagit
The accent that you're talking about is very prevalent in east/south and even north London. I've heard it being called 'Multicultural London English' in formal situations. It's the result of African and Caribbean (and to some extent, Pakistani) accents being mixed with Cockney & Essex & general London accents. The actual content of their speech (i.e., the dialect) is a result of that same mixture. For example, the term 'hard man' is, from what I can understand, used in Nigeria.

It's very common in working class areas. White & Asian people pick up on it too.

However, holding on to old forms of English and rejecting change does nobody any good. Speaking in a manner that is widely understood is good - but slang doesn't harm that. The world has changed a lot since the Standard English we speak today was formed. Ideally, language should be constantly developing to keep up with our constantly developing society. Cringing at the word 'selfie' does nobody any good. It's a word that we need to describe a concept that already exists. Trying to appeal to a snooty crowd of elitists that hate change (read as: retain prejudiced values that were even more prevalent fifty years ago than they are now) is pointless. If you look back at all the old 'classics' dusty academics revere, the writers who are now praised for their wordplay (for example, Shakespeare and Chaucer) often did not care about trying to adhere to traditions or 'the good old ways', or 'proper' ways of speaking and behaving. Sticking to something outdated prevents topicality and greatly hinders writing. They spoke in a language that the working class could understand, and used slang that the working class could understand.If we constantly criticise any accent or language developed by the working class and cling to everything rich intellectuals say, we're discrediting ourselves (or rather, we're discrediting the working class).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fruli
Black girls in London have a way if speaking that I find extremely irritating. It's what I would describe as a ghetto accent, but I was wondering if it has a name?

I realise some black girls in London get good grades and go onto professional roles. Does their accent also change when they get older?

Apologies if I've offended anyone. I'm black, but my accent is a standard RP one, I struggle to relate to relate with or speak to people with ghetto British accents.

That said, I like African accents, I find them funny, especially when they are making tannoy announcements on TFL hehe. They are funny, when they aren't being aggressive.

called london multicultural accent. I'd say for the black girls its mixed withblack english. so many butthurt people in this thread. need to be taken down a notch

Quick Reply

Latest