The Student Room Group

'Tea' or 'Dinner'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drowzee
I say dinner. I never understood using the word "tea", it just does not make any sense.

If it didn't make sense, nobody would use it...
Original post by TwinnyP
If it didn't make sense, nobody would use it...

A lot of stupid terms are commonly said, doesn't mean they make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Breakfast lunch dinner.

Hearing people say 'breakfast, dinner, tea' sends shivers down my spine - it sounds completely wrong!!
Original post by elliemayxo
A lot of stupid terms are commonly said, doesn't mean they make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saying tea isn't a stupid term, it makes perfect sense :lol:

"What are we having for tea tonight?"

Is that really difficult to grasp??
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Most people I know call it tea, however, I call it dinner, mainly for the reasons put forth in the OP.

Mainly that you're ashamed of where you've come from and think you're better than the people in your hometown.
Original post by jamestg
Dinner = hot food or salad
Tea = scones, sandwiches, cakes, or dinner between 4pm and 6pm (rare)

So I mainly use dinner

This guy gets it.

If you have roast beef at 12-1pm, that's dinner. You'd then have tea at 5-7pm because having a second dinner would be overkill.

But if you have lunch (sandwiches and whatnot) at 12-1pm, then you'd have dinner at 5-7pm.

It's a context thing.
Original post by TwinnyP
Saying tea isn't a stupid term, it makes perfect sense :lol:

"What are we having for tea tonight?"

Is that really difficult to grasp??

It's not 'tea' it's dinner. 'Tea' is a drink. Nothing sounds more common and Chavy than when someone says "I'm going to have tea"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callum_law
No, I disagree with you because you're wrong.

It's breakfast, dinner and tea.

Umm if anyone's wrong, you're wrong - the morning meal is breakfast, the midday meal is lunch, and the evening meal is dinner.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheTechN1304
Breakfast lunch dinner.

Hearing people say 'breakfast, dinner, tea' sends shivers down my spine - it sounds completely wrong!!

Thankyou! So glad I'm not the only one. Someone said it today and it made me cringe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With tea it's not difficult to work out whether you're talking about the meal or the drink, dinner could mean lunch or your evening meal. So in my mind tea makes more sense:smile:
Mainly that you're ashamed of where you've come from and think you're better than the people in your hometown.

Nope.
It's not 'tea' it's dinner. 'Tea' is a drink. Nothing sounds more common and Chavy than when someone says "I'm going to have tea"

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's clearly not though. Otherwise YOU wouldn't have made a thread.
Original post by ibzombie96
Umm no you're wrong - the morning meal is breakfast, the midday meal is lunch, and the evening meal is dinner.

Nonsense. You live in a bubble, mate.
Original post by jamestg
Dinner = hot food or salad
Tea = scones, sandwiches, cakes, or dinner between 4pm and 6pm (rare)

So I mainly use dinner

I understand the whole 'afternoon tea' thing, it's like when you go to a posh restaurant you book into have 'afternoon tea' which are the things you said.

But there's a difference between afternoon tea and an actual meal which is dinner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We all say tea where I live.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Nope.

Yet you've contrived to say dinner for your latter meal like a Southern softy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it comes from the days when the poor could only afford one big hot meal, so the kids would get their school lunch and the husband would come home from work and get a big meal. In the evening, when there were more mouths to feed, it was cheaper to have something light.
No idea if that's right, just my tuppence.
Yet you've contrived to say dinner for your latter meal like a Southern softy.

That is what my parents call it, so yes.
Nonsense. You live in a bubble, mate.

That's exactly right. Someone with a different opinion to you must live in a bubble. I've provided a list of suitable bubbles below which you can choose from:

****** banker brigade
Southern softies
Southern elite
North London elite
Toffs
Snotty-nosed rich kids
Pretentious northerners

Delete as appropriate.
dinner innit

Quick Reply

Latest