The Student Room Group

Becoming an Associate of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries

Hi. I'm interested in applying for actuarial science courses at LSE and cass business school next year. I was just wondering, after completing the degree, how many years does it roughly take to qualify as an associate in the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries after having received exemptions from the degree? Also, how long does it take to qualify as a fellow?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hoping4Astars
how many years does it roughly take to qualify as an associate in the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries after having received exemptions from the degree?

Depends. How many exemptions will you get?

Also, how long does it take to qualify as a fellow?

Minimum three years, as you need to do 3 years of work-based skills. The average is 3 to 6 years.

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/becoming-actuary/pages/careers-questions-answered
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ninaporter
Depends. How many exemptions will you get?

9 in total : ct1-9
9 in total : ct1-9

Then if you work hard (and also depending on how you space out your exams), you can probably expect to qualify as an associate in 1-2 years, and as a fellow in a total of ~3 years.
Original post by ninaporter
Then if you work hard, you can probably expect to qualify as an associate in 1-2 years, and as a fellow in a total of ~3 years.

Thanks, that's not that long to be honest,
I didn't think you could get exemptions for CT9?

You need 3 years work experience as a minimum to qualify as a fellow. If you got exemptions for CTs 1-8, you could be done with the remaining exams in 3-4 sittings (so 1.5-2 years). Then spend the rest of the time getting the work experience you need, do the learning logs and essays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending