The Student Room Group

Dropped new expensive phone and ruined it, just wanted advice feel devastated.

I'm absolutely gutted and it's my fault for being such a dosy bastard but basically last week I dropped my iphone 5 whilst getting out my car it was in my tracksuit top pocket and slid out onto the concrete drive as I got out smashing the screen. I thought well the contract has expired and it's time to get a new phone anyway. I bought the iphone 6 spent all my money on it (I've no money now!) and absolutely love it and have ordered a protective cover for it but today I made the EXACT same mistake getting out my car. It fell onto the concrete floor and although the actual display screen is ok it is still cracked near the home button and has chips on the side. I don't even know why I put it in my tracksuit top again I'd have thought I'd have learnt but I just wasn't thinking I have some stupid habits.

It might sound like I'm being dramatic but I've not felt this gutted in ages I just don't know what to do as I don't have insurance for it or anything. I don't know if the phone can be repaired and if I do get it repaired would it be risky. It might even have suffered internal damage when I dropped it I don't know. What would you do? Do you think I should just leave it but then the crack will annoy me for the next few years, would you pay to get it repaired. Here are some pics of the damage :/.

I don't usually drop phones these have been the only 2 times I've ever dropped them and it's happened in the space of a week.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't wear tracksuits.
Hire a lawyer and attempt to sue the tracksuit company.
To be fair, the damage isn't that bad! I've seen way worse. Just wait until you get some extra cash and get it fixed when you can.
Its not too bad, you're more angry about it now because its new but when the novelty wears off you will get used to it.
Reply 5
Original post by CandyKoRn
To be fair, the damage isn't that bad! I've seen way worse. Just wait until you get some extra cash and get it fixed when you can.

I've looked up how much apple will fix it for and it's about £90. I probably could get it fixed for cheaper (though it would still have chips on the side) but am not sure if they would do as good a job as apple.
Reply 6
Original post by HenryKenry
Its not too bad, you're more angry about it now because its new but when the novelty wears off you will get used to it.

Yea that's true
Sell it and buy a used one in immaculate condition? Hustle.
This is why you shouldn't buy iPhones.

They are weak and terribley built
I fitted a new screen on my mum's iphone, all it cost was £9 and 2 hours.
i believe you had a life before that phone.....
MOVE ON!
Reply 11
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
This is why you shouldn't buy iPhones.

They are weak and terribley built

I have dropped my Nexus multiple times and on different surface, it had never cracked, it only had chipped the case and scratched the glass. Android phone is awesome.
you can either get it repaired or just grit your teeth and pretend like its not there. after a while youll get used to it :tongue:

:console:
Original post by Redfrost
I've looked up how much apple will fix it for and it's about £90. I probably could get it fixed for cheaper (though it would still have chips on the side) but am not sure if they would do as good a job as apple.

I'd pay the bit extra if you're really worried.
I would recommend maybe getting a cove for the front, it's like a sticker.
phonesticker.jpg

This is my old iPhone, obviously hello kitty isn't everyone's taste haha, but it's good for protection. This is a 4S so not sure if the newer ones have them as I use android now.
Original post by Mr.wong
I have dropped my Nexus multiple times and on different surface, it had never cracked, it only had chipped the case and scratched the glass. Android phone is awesome.

SAME! I have a nexus 5 and it's an actual tank. Dropped it about 20 times with no case and it all it got was a scratch when I dropped it head on a concrete flaw
Don't buy expensive phones and then not keep them in your purse?
Peak for you

Spoiler

Reply 17
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
SAME! I have a nexus 5 and it's an actual tank. Dropped it about 20 times with no case and it all it got was a scratch when I dropped it head on a concrete flaw

I have had my 5 since 2013, and the battery doesn't hold a charge any more, the phone is scratched to hell. But it had never cracked, I am waiting for the new one to come out, so I can have a new phone.
I would get it repaired so you don't have to think about it. Plus, if you leave it, it could possibly get worse and continue splitting, though this is unlikely. Luckily it's not in the centre of the screen where it would be hard for you to use your phone.
If it still works perfectly, then the crack isn't very important, just buy a really good cover in case it happens again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending