The Student Room Group

Would psychology a level weaken my chances at doing oxbridge law?

I've chosen english lit, history and psychology at a level, however im wondering whether I should change to philosophy as psychology a level could weaken my application?
id say philosophy and psychology are on the same level so you should do what you enjoy the most
I would say psychology would be fine as a third subject. You need 2 facilitating subjects. So either English Lit or Psychology need to be replaced with a stronger subject.
Reply 3
Original post by High Stakes
I would say psychology would be fine as a third subject. You need 2 facilitating subjects. So either English Lit or Psychology need to be replaced with a stronger subject.

B English lit is facilitating though

History and lit seem fine, psychology is a bit weak but you should be alright still
Reply 4
Original post by RonnieRJ

History and lit seem fine, psychology is a bit weak but you should be alright still

What would you recommend taking instead?
Reply 5
Original post by lot1313
What would you recommend taking instead?

Well you don't really have to swap it. The other two are quite "classic" subjects so you're fine. If you like psychology and think you can do well in it then just keep it :smile:
How is Psychology weak? English Lit and History are weak anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Well you don't really have to swap it. The other two are quite "classic" subjects so you're fine. If you like psychology and think you can do well in it then just keep it :smile:

Okay thank you, I'm just wondering what would you take instead? Would philosophy be better
Reply 8
Original post by blahbleeblah
How is Psychology weak? English Lit and History are weak.

English Lit and History are both facilitating essay-based subjects that uni's approve of. I've read up on psychology and some uni's view it as a weaker subject as it is not a 'classic' subject
Hmmmmm, lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lot1313
Okay thank you, I'm just wondering what would you take instead? Would philosophy be better

In all honesty RS isn't strong either
Reply 11
In all honesty RS isn't strong either

What are strong subjects
Original post by lot1313
What are strong subjects

Russell group presents them as:
English literature
History
Modern languages eg French, German, Spanish etc…
Classical languages eg Latin, Ancient Greek
Maths and further maths
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Geography

My bad. I was thinking English language.
Philosophy is also seen as a very strong subject (one of the most facilitating Arts subjects)^ higher than Psychology.

However as people have said it shouldn't be too much of a problem if you continue with psych :smile:
You will be fine, psy and soc are increasing in rep anyway
Original post by lot1313
I've chosen english lit, history and psychology at a level, however im wondering whether I should change to philosophy as psychology a level could weaken my application?

Cambridge like high UMS, so if you did Gov Pol, Psychology and English Lit, and got 95%+ in all 3, did well at the Cambridge law test, and rocked the interview you'd be made an offer. For law, grades matter more than subject.

Quick Reply

Latest