The Student Room Group

Topless protesters disrupt Muslim conference, Paris

Scroll to see replies

Such 'discussions'/'conferences' should be illegal in Europe.
Reply 141
Original post by Viva Emptiness
You must be new here...

How so? To my knowledge the word Islam is derived from the arabic word meaning 'peace'.
Original post by HucktheForde

Nearly 6,000 people signed an online petition against the event.

Twitter posts called for the protesters to be stoned or collectively raped.

This is probably the most disgusting thing I've ever read :lolwut:
Original post by Errm336
Perhaps you should educate yourself.

Yeah, maybe I should have a few more, make it a kind of drinking game.
Reply 144
Original post by Rezy
How so? To my knowledge the word Islam is derived from the arabic word meaning 'peace'.

I thought it meant 'submission'.
Reply 145
Original post by Josb
I thought it meant 'submission'.

'Islam is derived from the Arabic root "Salema" : peace, purity, submission and obedience.'

I think Arabic is a strange language in the sense that many words can have different meanings. Hence, why there's so much discrepancies in the meaning of the Quran as each verse can be interpreted in many ways.
Original post by Rezy

No, it translates to "submission." I'm sick of constantly having to point this out to people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147
Original post by BoomCha!
No, it translates to "submission." I'm sick of constantly having to point this out to people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do realised I said derived from not translates to? I think the reason you're 'constantly having to point this out' is because perhaps you're oversimplifying things slightly.

'In Arabic, the word “Islam” means submission or surrender however, it was derived from the root word “salam”. From this root word, you can also derive the words peace and safety.'

I'm pretty sure my interpretation of this is if one follows Allah's guidelines mentioned (submit) in the holy Quran, they will achieve peace within themselves.

I'm no expert at this but I've spoken to a few people who speak fluent Arabic and understand the depth of the language and this is the impression they gave me. I don't think you understand that translating from Arabic to English isn't as simple as doing a literal conversion. This is why many scholars believe there are many layers to the Quran (deeper meanings) and why literal English translations are considered to be pretty inaccurate at times.
Original post by Good bloke
If the worst thing about me is that I don't spell words in accordance with your ill-tutored views then so be it. Fortunately, my antiquated spelling doesn't cause superstitious people to kill others for apostasy, nor does it encourage punishment of wives. How about your antiquated views?

As I said, you're welcome to spluttering out your antiquated terms... :smile:
Original post by BoomCha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know the difference between "derived" and "translate"?

If not, let's call the master of words, GoodBook to come and explain it in his most pedantic manner.

Over to you, @Good bloke. Do your thing. :wink:
Original post by WishIHadRevised
Yeah, maybe I should have a few more, make it a kind of drinking game.

I don't think binge drinking would actually double your only brain cell, though it may dull it, and cause it to wither and die.

So if that's your aim, go right on ahead. :smile:
Original post by LenaSim
Such 'discussions'/'conferences' should be illegal in Europe.

You're disgracing the memory of those killed by the Charlie Hebdo executioners.

N'êtes-vous pas Charlie?
Original post by Errm336
You're disgracing the memory of those killed by the Charlie Hebdo executioners.

N'êtes-vous pas Charlie?

Freedom of speech has seldom covered inciting violence.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Freedom of speech has seldom covered inciting violence.

No, just stigmatization and the marginalization of a particular group of people.
Original post by Errm336
No, just stigmatization and the marginalization of a particular group of people.

Stigmatising and marginalising people who have a conference inciting domestic violence? K.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Stigmatising and marginalising people who have a conference inciting domestic violence? K.

No, stigmatizing and marginalizing women.

You see, you were so focused and so intent on thinking that I was "sticking up" for the Islamic conference that you missed the rather obvious, which is that it seemed as though they (the Islamic conference) were stigmatizing and marginalizing women.

Although it's a wonderful point that you have made in that Charlie does stigmatize and marginalize a particular group of people.
Original post by Errm336
No, stigmatizing and marginalizing women.

You see, you were so focused and so intent on thinking that I was "sticking up" for the Islamic conference that you missed the rather obvious, which is that it seemed as though they (the Islamic conference) were stigmatizing and marginalizing women.

Although it's a wonderful point that you have made in that Charlie does stigmatize and marginalize a particular group of people.

Yes, it did that, but it also incited violence against women, which is the greater evil.

Stigmatisation and marginalisation are pretty subjective and relative. A gay person could say they feel 'stigmatised and marginalised' by the Bible. Does that mean it should be banned? No.
Original post by Errm336

Charlie never once advocated for violence or domestic abuse. They satirized Islam and religion as a whole, but never told people to out and discriminate against others or tried to even justify violence.

They are not the same thing by any stretch. The fact that you need to have a debate on whether to beat your wife and how to dress so as not to be sexually assaulted shows you how toxic fundamentalism, Islam, and religion as a whole is.
Original post by DiddyDec
FEMEN are about as bad as the fundamentalists they are trying to upset.

Hmm topless women or Islamic fundamentalists, let me see.

Who would I prefer to be surrounded by on a crowded tube train?
Original post by Errm336
It's publications incite violence....

This is not a kindergarten. Leave the hyperbole and hysterics at the door please.

No. They do not. Please, give one example of where they have explicitly stated or encouraged violence. Simply criticizing or satirizing something is not inciting violence.

Hyperbole? I think not. Religion, and especially Islam, deserves to be in the toilet where it belongs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending