The Student Room Group

Drop sociology for Biology?

So I've started my AS levels and am currently doing Politics, English Lit, Psychology and the dreaded sociology. I am LOVING all my subjects so far...except for sociology.

For one, and its kinda trivial lmao, but I simply dont like the class or teacher. My teacher only confuses me more and more with the way she teaches. I have never done sociology and tbh I feel the things i've learnt so far is interesting, it really is, but she really isnt helping with putting what we learn into essays. Everytime I see sociology on my timetable, I seriously feel like going home because I know its a class I dont enjoy.

My friends have chosen Biology and they have been telling me its fun, simple(to a certain extent lol), and all I need to be good at it memorising. At GCSE I felt Biology was my strongest science and a subject which I felt I could deal with, it wasnt exactly my favourite lesson but I was comfortable with it (got an A at GCSE for science). But I feel like coming 1 week into a new lesson I would be kind of behind, plus I need to do my summer assignment of learning a whole CGP revision book to do an exam for biology ( so long). I feel like if I go into biology and I find i dont enjoy it, nor is it as easy as I thought it would be (of course I know its a demanding subject), I might simply have wasted crucial time.

so what should I do? should I just deal with sociology, which is semi interesting yet idk why I cant stand it or drop it to go Biology, even though I might just be wasting time? Also, I am aiming high and was thinking biology would look more impressive, however whether it be sociology or biology, I will only be doing the AS level, I know i love my other subjects too much to drop them next year.

please help?????Drop Sociology for Biology or keep sociology since I'll only be doing AS.
Original post by SharDee
So I've started my AS levels and am currently doing Politics, English Lit, Psychology and the dreaded sociology. I am LOVING all my subjects so far...except for sociology.

For one, and its kinda trivial lmao, but I simply dont like the class or teacher. My teacher only confuses me more and more with the way she teaches. I have never done sociology and tbh I feel the things i've learnt so far is interesting, it really is, but she really isnt helping with putting what we learn into essays. Everytime I see sociology on my timetable, I seriously feel like going home because I know its a class I dont enjoy.

My friends have chosen Biology and they have been telling me its fun, simple(to a certain extent lol), and all I need to be good at it memorising. At GCSE I felt Biology was my strongest science and a subject which I felt I could deal with, it wasnt exactly my favourite lesson but I was comfortable with it (got an A at GCSE for science). But I feel like coming 1 week into a new lesson I would be kind of behind, plus I need to do my summer assignment of learning a whole CGP revision book to do an exam for biology ( so long). I feel like if I go into biology and I find i dont enjoy it, nor is it as easy as I thought it would be (of course I know its a demanding subject), I might simply have wasted crucial time.

so what should I do? should I just deal with sociology, which is semi interesting yet idk why I cant stand it or drop it to go Biology, even though I might just be wasting time? Also, I am aiming high and was thinking biology would look more impressive, however whether it be sociology or biology, I will only be doing the AS level, I know i love my other subjects too much to drop them next year.

please help?????Drop Sociology for Biology or keep sociology since I'll only be doing AS.

I have been told my my friends that Biology is the hardest A level that they take but they still enjoy it. By taking Biology it will make you more likely to receive offers from better quality universities.
Reply 2
Original post by BinaryJava
I have been told my my friends that Biology is the hardest A level that they take but they still enjoy it. By taking Biology it will make you more likely to receive offers from better quality universities.

Even if its only as an AS, which im planning to do?
Original post by SharDee
Even if its only as an AS, which im planning to do?

Umm, not sure then because you could get a higher grade in sociology than Biology but if you don't like the class...
Reply 4
Original post by BinaryJava
Umm, not sure then because you could get a higher grade in sociology than Biology but if you don't like the class...

I'm finding sociology hard even though I've gotten an A in English@ GCSE.. so im fine with writing essays but idk the things were learning seem so....irrelevant.
This is only from what I've heard, but sociology isn't nowhere near as respected as biology.
I'd expect this response from most people on TSR as well.
Biology is difficult, mainly in the way to approach it, but you should be fine. The content is mostly very enjoyable, can get tedious though at times, but still very interesting stuff nonetheless.

Do what you want, if you think your sociology teacher is going to jeopardise your grade in that subject, either change teacher, or change subject.

Biology AQA include:
BIO1
- microscopy
- cell organelles, prokaryotes & eukaryotes
- cell membrane (very nice topic)
- proteins
- carbohydrates
- lipids
- pathogens
- lung structure & function
- heart structure & function
- immunology (god damn interesting stuff, but there's a few bits e.g. about monoclonal antibodies, but with a few PPQs, easy & predictable)

BIO2
- differentiation, tissues, organs, organ systems
- plants - xylem & phloem (amazing topic)
- haemoglobin
- surface area to volume ratio
- fishies (transport mediums, like gills etc.)
- insects (transport mediums, via e.g. tiny pores called spiracles)
- classification (detestable, in that it's boring, but workload, meh.)

Practical

There might be one or two things missing, but those are the topics.
Yes there's a lot of topics, but again, it's worth it; very interesting stuff.
Just revise, and go back to it when necessary, or you will forget it. technically just review what you've learnt every so often.

I don't know about sociology, because I never took it, and haven't at all checked out the syllabus etc. etc.
Seriously, it's far easier learning something your interested in.
Reply 7
Don't ever ever ever ever EVER EVER have one of your reasons for picking a class as; "because it's simple". Biology is a VERY difficult AS + A Level.

If you are not enjoying Sociology and think you would enjoy Biology more, then consider switching. It's ultimately your decision, but I would advise waiting a little while (unless you have a cut off) to see whether you do enjoy Sociology or not.

Having done Sociology I can assure you most of the essays are just memorising key studies + points for arguments, it only gets more difficult at A2 Level. What exactly is it in Sociology you're getting stuck with?

Quick Reply

Latest