The Student Room Group

What do I teach on first guitar lesson?

My 15 year old sister asked me to teach her how to play the guitar and I agreed.
The thing is I've never taught guitar (or anything actually) before, so I was wondering what the best place to start is. I'm not amazing at theory but I guess that wouldn't come up in the first lesson anyway. Should I teach her basic scales or something like that or should I get her to learn an easy song like American Idiot or something?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The six strings in standard tuning, some basic chords like G, A, D, C, and maybe the notes of the 6th string from E to G.
Reply 2
Original post by Evening
The six strings in standard tuning, some basic chords like G, A, D, C, and maybe the notes of the 6th string from E to G.

Cheers for the advice m8, do you think I should teach her a Major pentatonic scale as well?
Maybe do some simple riffs as wel, such as the Come as you are intro or the Adam's song intro
Reply 4
raining blood by slayer??
Reply 5
mr crowley ozzy osbourne
Reply 6
oh and c standard tuning
Original post by Zargabaath
My 15 year old sister asked me to teach her how to play the guitar and I agreed.
The thing is I've never taught guitar (or anything actually) before, so I was wondering what the best place to start is. I'm not amazing at theory but I guess that wouldn't come up in the first lesson anyway. Should I teach her basic scales or something like that or should I get her to learn an easy song like American Idiot or something?

Teach her a few warm-up exercises (that's what my guitar teacher did first). If this is her first time playing a stringed instrument, her fingers are going to ache like hell initially. Anything will do but chromatics are usually easy because, unlike scales, they're easy to remember for a beginner.

With chords, I generally found them to be the best (if very painful) way of killing the feeling in my fingertips as quickly as possible so I could progress to scales and other things.
Reply 8
Original post by Ilovecanada
Maybe do some simple riffs as wel, such as the Come as you are intro or the Adam's song intro

I taught her American idiot on the first lesson, but I'll show her Unholy Confessions by A7X next time to get her used to the idea of palm muting during riffs, I showed her the D minor melodic scale as well to get her used to the shapes so that should be useful aswell.

Original post by Hydeman
Teach her a few warm-up exercises (that's what my guitar teacher did first). If this is her first time playing a stringed instrument, her fingers are going to ache like hell initially. Anything will do but chromatics are usually easy because, unlike scales, they're easy to remember for a beginner.

With chords, I generally found them to be the best (if very painful) way of killing the feeling in my fingertips as quickly as possible so I could progress to scales and other things.

I taught her a couple chords (A, G, C, E and D) for her to build dexterity more than anything else, I'll tell her next time to practise transitioning between them. As for warm ups, I told her to play through the D Minor melodic scale a couple times up and down. I'm not a fan of chromatics because as far as I'm aware, they aren't very useful outside of warming up, unless you're playing death metal or something.
I taught her a couple chords (A, G, C, E and D) for her to build dexterity more than anything else, I'll tell her next time to practise transitioning between them. As for warm ups, I told her to play through the D Minor melodic scale a couple times up and down. I'm not a fan of chromatics because as far as I'm aware, they aren't very useful outside of warming up, unless you're playing death metal or something.

Good idea on the transitioning thing. :smile:

Yes, they aren't very useful outside of warming up but that's how my teacher taught me so what do I know. xD You managed to teach her the D minor melodic scale on her first lesson? That's quite impressive. For the record, I don't use chromatics much anymore, I prefer scales for warming up. :3
Original post by Hydeman
Good idea on the transitioning thing. :smile:

Yes, they aren't very useful outside of warming up but that's how my teacher taught me so what do I know. xD You managed to teach her the D minor melodic scale on her first lesson? That's quite impressive. For the record, I don't use chromatics much anymore, I prefer scales for warming up. :3

I showed her the frets, but not the notes themselves, I doubt she remembers the whole thing. I think I might have taught her too much stuff in the first lesson so I wont be surprised if I need to repeat a lot of the stuff a few times. It's lucky though because we live in the same house she can ask me whenever as opposed to having to wait a week to see a teacher.

I'm sure the chromatic thing works well, it's just not something I used personally so I wouldn't feel confident teaching it to someone else
I showed her the frets, but not the notes themselves, I doubt she remembers the whole thing. I think I might have taught her too much stuff in the first lesson so I wont be surprised if I need to repeat a lot of the stuff a few times. It's lucky though because we live in the same house she can ask me whenever as opposed to having to wait a week to see a teacher.

I'm sure the chromatic thing works well, it's just not something I used personally so I wouldn't feel confident teaching it to someone else

I did use other things in addition to chromatics as well, including something called 'crabs' and 'X's' but the principle is the same: you're just repeating a mindless pattern up and down the fingerboard that won't help you come up with anything. I can understand why you might not like it. :wink:
Original post by Hydeman
I did use other things in addition to chromatics as well, including something called 'crabs' and 'X's' but the principle is the same: you're just repeating a mindless pattern up and down the fingerboard that won't help you come up with anything. I can understand why you might not like it. :wink:

After a few weeks I got bored of warm up patterns lol, I ended up just playing fun riffs I like from songs I liked. That said, warming up with scales is a really good way to learn them imo, cus you're constantly playing them.
After a few weeks I got bored of warm up patterns lol, I ended up just playing fun riffs I like from songs I liked. That said, warming up with scales is a really good way to learn them imo, cus you're constantly playing them.

I agree. xD I've got a few scales that I can basically play when I'm asleep.
Original post by Hydeman
I agree. xD I've got a few scales that I can basically play when I'm asleep.

Yep, basically the pentatonic scale lol
Yep, basically the pentatonic scale lol

LOL, yes. xD And also the C major scale for some reason, although that's just A minor pentatonic with extra notes. :wink:
Original post by Hydeman
LOL, yes. xD And also the C major scale for some reason, although that's just A minor pentatonic with extra notes. :wink:

I've been playing for a couple years and I've never actually got around to learning a major scale. I keep telling myself I will someday.

I'm not that big on theory and I like the way harmonic and melodic minors sound, so I've only ever bothered learning them :biggrin:
I've been playing for a couple years and I've never actually got around to learning a major scale. I keep telling myself I will someday.

I'm not that big on theory and I like the way harmonic and melodic minors sound, so I've only ever bothered learning them :biggrin:

LOL, there are scales that I haven't learned as well. xD It restricts me, I think. :/ Someday I will know them all! And so will you. :wink:
Original post by Hydeman
LOL, there are scales that I haven't learned as well. xD It restricts me, I think. :/ Someday I will know them all! And so will you. :wink:

Gotta catch 'em all!

I'm just too lazy these days lol, I might try and form a band when I start uni this year so I have some motivation to learn new stuff
Gotta catch 'em all!

I'm just too lazy these days lol, I might try and form a band when I start uni this year so I have some motivation to learn new stuff

I start next year so I have another year to be lazy. :biggrin: But yeah, that's a good idea. There's no better spur to activity than having a drumstick thrown at your head...

Quick Reply

Latest