The Student Room Group

Doing badly in fourth subject

So I've started my A-levels and so far, so good. All of them are interesting to me, I'm putting loads of quality work into them and I'm really engaging (both listening and discussing/explaining) in lessons - something I didn't do much at GCSE.

The jump is being felt across all of my subject in terms of workload and complexity. However, it hasn't been too bad for my three main subjects (Maths, Biology and Politics). My fourth subject, History, I'm finding really difficult and I feel like I'm going to do so badly in it.

I'm putting all of the work into it yet I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with it unlike my other subjects. I don't want to drop it because it's a good A-level to have, I (at least) was competent in the subject and have an interest in both the units we are doing.

My plan is to drop it at the end of the year, but I don't think I'll be getting more than a C in it. Obviously I'll try really hard to get the best grade possible, but that seems like realistically it will be a C.

So the main part of this is if I get AAAC - will the C drag me down when applying for a RG despite dropping it after Y12?

If you need context about my GCSE grades, they aren't an amazing tally (1A*, 5As, 4Bs and 1C with remarks hopefully getting it to 1A*, 7As and 3Bs) but I was in the top 10% of my year group of 250 based on our results.
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by jamestg
So I've started my A-levels and so far, so good. All of them are interesting to me, I'm putting loads of quality work into them and I'm really engaging (both listening and discussing/explaining) in lessons - something I didn't do much at GCSE.

The jump is being felt across all of my subject in terms of workload and complexity. However, it hasn't been too bad for my three main subjects (Maths, Biology and Politics). My fourth subject, History, I'm finding really difficult and I feel like I'm going to do so badly in it.

I'm putting all of the work into it yet I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with it unlike my other subjects. I don't want to drop it because it's a good A-level to have, I (at least) was competent in the subject and have an interest in both the units we are doing.

My plan is to drop it at the end of the year, but I don't think I'll be getting more than a C in it. Obviously I'll try really hard to get the best grade possible, but that seems like realistically it will be a C.

So the main part of this is if I get AAAC - will the C drag me down when applying for a RG despite dropping it after Y12?

If you need context about my GCSE grades, they aren't an amazing tally (1A*, 5As, 4Bs and 1C with remarks hopefully getting it to 1A*, 7As and 3Bs) but I was in the top 10% of my year group of 250 based on our results.

I got AABE, dropped the E, got offers from Durham, York, Exeter, Liverpool and Kent :smile: you should be absolutely fine! You may even surprise yourself with your grade :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies
I got AABE, dropped the E, got offers from Durham, York, Exeter, Liverpool and Kent :smile: you should be absolutely fine! You may even surprise yourself with your grade :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! And I really hope so haha, my GCSE grade was a shock - fingers crossed for a repeat of that!

It's really reassuring to hear that though, my sixth form hasn't mentioned anything about doing badly in your fourth subject and so I just presumed you had to do equally well across the board to get into a RG.
Reply 4
The C Shouldn't affect it too bad as said by above poster, if all your other grades are pretty nifty.

As for history, what are you struggling with? I'm given to understand it's a very big jump from GCSE and quite a difficult A Level to study - is it the essay qs that confuse you? The content you're learning? Exam techniques? etc. I'm sure if you discuss with your lecturers they'll be able to give some solid advice :smile:
Bruh, trust me on this one right. My strongest grade all year was a D. My weakest 2 were U and U.
Idk what I did, but I ended up with AAAB, my weakest U became my strongeset A, the other U became the B.

Just go through with it, you're doing waaaaay more than I did at this stage.
Reply 6
Even if you get an E in AS history and drop it it's fine - unis only ask for an AS PASS, and an E is a pass.
Physics was my AS - I got an E and I got offers from UCL, Bristol, and Birmingham xD
And your GCSE grades are fine in the eyes of unis - you got Bs and as long as that C wasn't in maths or either English you have absolutely nothing to worry about - your real worry is A2 when you get there xD
Original post by jamestg

You'll be totally fine and probably getting all your offers if you do get AAAC at the end of this year since your predicted grades will probably be at least A*AA :smile: I got AACD last year and got offers from Bath, Exeter, York, Sheffield and Birmingham for Pol & IR :smile: I know about people who got an E in their fourth AS subject and got into Oxbridge!
Original post by vis break
Bruh, trust me on this one right. My strongest grade all year was a D. My weakest 2 were U and U.
Idk what I did, but I ended up with AAAB, my weakest U became my strongeset A, the other U became the B.

Just go through with it, you're doing waaaaay more than I did at this stage.

Woah… Just, how? I need to know. :smile:
Original post by jamestg

You should be absolutely fine in most cases - your top subjects would be AAA, would be around the requirements for RG universities. The only points I would note are:
- You'd struggle to get in for medicine, though based on your choices it doesn't seem like you're planning to apply for that
- You might struggle to get into the very top RG universities - Oxbridge, Durham, UCL, LSE and so on; unis that ask for A*AA, particularly for really competitive courses like law, will have dozens have applicants per place that have 4 As at AS. For unis that ask for AAA, however, you'd be absolutely fine.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest