The Student Room Group

AS sociology or AS Biology more impressive?

So which one would seem more impressive as an AS (as I don't want to continue it for A2), Biology or Sociology.

I know that Biology is a subject which is seen as really good to have, but is it worth doing if I get a bad grade in it (how hard is Biology AS?), or should I do sociology which is not as impressive yet I could do better in and achieve a higher grade in?

Ps I hate my sociology class and teacher.
pps I didnt mind Biology as a subject in GCSE, i can deal with it, its enjoyable.
ppps I'm doing English Lit, Politics and Psychology...would sociology or Biology look better with these subjects (even if its only AS)

Thanks x
Original post by SharDee
So which one would seem more impressive as an AS (as I don't want to continue it for A2), Biology or Sociology.

I know that Biology is a subject which is seen as really good to have, but is it worth doing if I get a bad grade in it (how hard is Biology AS?), or should I do sociology which is not as impressive yet I could do better in and achieve a higher grade in?

Ps I hate my sociology class and teacher.
pps I didnt mind Biology as a subject in GCSE, i can deal with it, its enjoyable.
ppps I'm doing English Lit, Politics and Psychology...would sociology or Biology look better with these subjects (even if its only AS)

Thanks x

biology obvs
Reply 2
Original post by Bio_mann123
biology obvs

Even if its only an AS and im more likely to do crap in it?
Reply 3
More 'facilitating' and more difficult = Biology.

However if your future career choice doesn't require biology, then based on what you're saying - don't do it. If you think you will do bad honestly just drop the course.

It is far FAR wiser to succeed in something which might be considered slightly easier than to fail miserably in something that is very difficult. Please don't get disillusioned into thinking that you need to do all STEM subjects at college to be considered a superb candidate for uni.
Original post by SharDee
Even if its only an AS and im more likely to do crap in it?

It depends on what you want to be/do. Anything science related, then biology definitely. Judging by your other subjects, I'm guessing you want to do english/law in which case sociology would be better as you say you'll do better. To answer your question though, biology is generally more favourable by unis, but again it's to do with your goals.
Reply 5
Original post by Year11guy
It depends on what you want to be/do. Anything science related, then biology definitely. Judging by your other subjects, I'm guessing you want to do english/law in which case sociology would be better as you say you'll do better. To answer your question though, biology is generally more favourable by unis, but again it's to do with your goals.

Yeah im confused with what I want to do with my future...possibly English/psychology at Uni alongside a teaching course maybe. I want to keep my choices open tbh, I change my career path weekly lmao. And although Sociology is easier...im just not enjoying my lessons which could have been interesting but i just dont like my class or teacher at all.
Original post by SharDee
Yeah im confused with what I want to do with my future...possibly English/psychology at Uni alongside a teaching course maybe. I want to keep my choices open tbh, I change my career path weekly lmao. And although Sociology is easier...im just not enjoying my lessons which could have been interesting but i just dont like my class or teacher at all.

Do you have to drop one? Why not keep all 4 and see how you do?
Reply 7
Original post by Year11guy
Do you have to drop one? Why not keep all 4 and see how you do?

I see no point in giving myself extra stess when the majority of University's only want at least 3 A levels lmao. I was considering doing 4...but Im not a person who handles with stress that great, cantttt at all. But its an option I keep at the back of my mind.

Quick Reply

Latest