The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry help

Hi Guys,

So I have just started year 12 and am new to all this a level business and i have a homework full of questions where i must write chemical and ionic equations so could someone help me out with one and i can then use this to help me with the rest (a brief explanation would be great too if you have time)

Q) what is the chemical and ionic equation for the following reaction
Magnesium with sulfuric acid

Thanks!
Original post by bluepens
Hi Guys,

So I have just started year 12 and am new to all this a level business and i have a homework full of questions where i must write chemical and ionic equations so could someone help me out with one and i can then use this to help me with the rest (a brief explanation would be great too if you have time)

Q) what is the chemical and ionic equation for the following reaction
Magnesium with sulfuric acid

Thanks!

Mg + H2SO4 ---------> MgSO4 + H2

metal + acid ----------> salt + hydrogen
base + acid -----------> salt + water
alkali + acid ----------> salt + water
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by swopnil
Mg + H2So4 ---------> MgSo4 + H2

metal + acid ----------> salt + hydrogen
base + acid -----------> salt + water
alkali + acid ----------> salt + water

Thankyou, its mainly the ionic equations i cant do though:frown:

mg + 2H+ -> mg2+ +H2

sulphate is only a spectator
Mg+H2SO4> MgSO4 + H2 equation.ionic equations- Mg(2+) + SO4(2-)= MgSO4. 2H (2+)> H2 + 2E-.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by justmichael
mg + 2H+ -> mg2+ +H2

sulphate is only a spectator

if you can could you please give me a brief explanation of ionic equations because i have never done them before so this is all new to me:colondollar:

ionic equations is super easy and you will get there with practice.

i was going to write a really long explanation for ionic equations but I thought it would just be easier if i link you to a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQIqcT9a7DY

hope it helps, ask me another question if something doesn't make sense in the video.

PS: that's that easier way of doing it, there's a quicker way too which you can try
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by swopnil
ionic equations is super easy and you will get there with practice.

i was going to write a really long explanation for ionic equations but I thought it would just be easier if i link you to a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQIqcT9a7DY

hope it helps, ask me another question if something doesn't make sense in the video.

PS: that's that easier way of doing it, there's a quicker way too which you can try

Thank you so much for that, the video explained it all really really well and i understand both types now :biggrin:, however in my answer should i use the total ionic equation or net ionic equation?

(thank you again!!)
Thank you so much for that, the video explained it all really really well and i understand both types now :biggrin:, however in my answer should i use the total ionic equation or net ionic equation?

(thank you again!!)

why not both?
write down the total ionic equation to show your working and then write the net ionic equation as your final answer.
Reply 9
Original post by swopnil
why not both?
write down the total ionic equation to show your working and then write the net ionic equation as your final answer.

teheh you're amazing thank you so much:wink:
teheh you're amazing thank you so much:wink:

no problem :P
Reply 11
Original post by swopnil
no problem :P

there is one asking for solid magnesium oxide with nitric acid, will the magnesium nitrate produced by solid?
there is one asking for solid magnesium oxide with nitric acid, will the magnesium nitrate produced by solid?

no, neutralisation reaction happens in solution and MgSO4 is soluble in water (ionic bond between Mg(2+) and SO4(2-)) so it would be aqueous.

you can evaporate the water however and that would give you a solid crystal, but in this case put aqueous.

Quick Reply