The Student Room Group

The QS World University Rankings® 2015/16 will be published on TopUniversities.com on

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
UCL ahead of Imperial?! F*** off!
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Top 3 seem fair

Surprised KCL and Manchester are so high, though

I suggest you do more research on them then, they are among the very best research universities we have.
Original post by King of the Ring
I suggest you do more research on them then, they are among the very best research universities we have.

Do research into research, hm

Sounds like a good use of my time

PS. No need to be bitter, 70th in the world is a respectable ranking for a university of Nottingham's stature :smile:
Original post by C_Richards99
?:h:?

They have gone up from 77th to 70th you twit. That marks a successful year in these rankings, their best ever infact. When small-group teaching comes on board from next year, the ranking should go up further still.

St Andrews and Durham have jumped up 20-30 places from last year, so the tables should be viewed over a number of years (i.e. performance of the last 3-5 years), and not one year in isolation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Do research into research, hm

Sounds like a good use of my time

PS. No need to be bitter, 70th in the world is a respectable ranking for a university of Nottingham's stature :smile:

It is a decent return, they have hovered around the top 75 mark for the last 5 years, and have at least shown consistency, rather than a great big leap one year, and a fall the following year. They will be reasonably pleased.
Original post by Boop.
UCL ahead of Imperial?! F*** off!

All hail UCL, the newly crowned best university in London.
Reply 26
Manchester, Edinburgh, Kings too high.

Warwick, Durham, LSE too low.
Original post by ubisoft
Manchester, Edinburgh, Kings too high.

Warwick, Durham, LSE too low.

Sadly, it will never catch on in TSR that Manchester is a solid top 10 UK university. Most students still think it is just top 15-20 material. A shame.
Reply 28
Hmmmmm. . . seems like you went for some cheesy opener to score cheap reps. Why not actually earn them properly, rather than grovelling for them this way?

:rofl:
Reply 29
Sadly, it will never catch on in TSR that Manchester is a solid top 10 UK university. Most students still think it is just top 15-20 material. A shame.

I don't know what rank Manchester is, but they are certainly not better than LSE/Warwick. Poor list.
Original post by ubisoft
I don't know what rank Manchester is, but they are certainly not better than LSE/Warwick. Poor list.

LSE is a prestigious but tiny school, so you can't compare. Warwick doesn't have the research power or resources of Manchester.
Reply 31
LSE is a prestigious but tiny school, so you can't compare. Warwick doesn't have the research power or resources of Manchester.

I didn't realise bigger unis are supposed to be better? Quite the opposite, smaller schools usually have a better student:teacher ratio. And both LSE and Warwick have higher research quality.

Physics is the only subject it's very good at; for the rest, it's just an average RG. Ever for other natural sciences, it's an AAB uni. Not that that's bad before anyone gets on my case, but it's not spectacular. For arts and humanities, it's decidedly average.
Original post by callum_law
Physics is the only subject it's very good at; for the rest, it's just an average RG. Ever for other natural sciences, it's an AAB uni. Not that that's bad before anyone gets on my case, but it's not spectacular. For arts and humanities, it's decidedly average.

Good for Business and Management, very good infact.
Original post by ubisoft
I didn't realise bigger unis are supposed to be better? Quite the opposite, smaller schools usually have a better student:teacher ratio. And both LSE and Warwick have higher research quality.

Manchester does research on a much greater scale than Warwick. It also has a stronger international reputation.
Good for Business and Management, very good infact.

AAB again. Poor in domestic rankings.
Original post by callum_law
AAB again. Poor in domestic rankings.

The quality of students they attract doesn't reflect the quality of the departments. Manchester has more resources than Warwick and LSE combined. That is not to say that it has World class departments in every subject, but it is an academic powerhouse, and should gain more respect on TSR for what it is, a World top 50 university year after year as a minimum.
Reply 37
Manchester does research on a much greater scale than Warwick. It also has a stronger international reputation.

Much greater scale because it's bigger. International rep means little, in the UK almost everyone will say LSE/Warwick are more prestigious than Manchester.

Oh and both LSE/Warwick dwarf Manc. in Business and Management, which it was supposed to be very good at lol.
Original post by ubisoft
Much greater scale because it's bigger. International rep means little, in the UK almost everyone will say LSE/Warwick are more prestigious than Manchester.

Oh and both LSE/Warwick dwarf Manc. in Business and Management, which it was supposed to be very good at lol.

The MBA school Manchester has ranks at a similar level to Warwick. I don't think the gap in prestige is as big as you think between Manchester and Warwick in the UK, only a small difference. LSE is miles ahead of both for prestige.
The quality of students they attract doesn't reflect the quality of the departments. Manchester has more resources than Warwick and LSE combined. That is not to say that it has World class departments in every subject, but it is an academic powerhouse, and should gain more respect on TSR for what it is, a World top 50 university year after year as a minimum.

Manchester also has more students than both LSE and Warwick combined.

Quick Reply