The Student Room Group

The "empowered whore archetype" is destroying society.

I read this quote somewhere. I personally do not resonate with it but I found it and interesting, especially reading what people thought about it.

I've struggled to find the original article but it was essentially about how modern feminism has destroyed the family and how women's roles in society as mother and maternal figure has been put second to women's economic aspirations and that the reversal and abolishing of gender roles has fundamentally changed society, (they argue for the worse)

I personally see both sides of the argument, but take the liberalist view that we should be free from expectation and restraint, which would put me in the camp that states women should be free to do as they please, I do however have concerns the family is suffering these days, for whatever reason and a high divorce rate is causing children to be brought up in unstable and broken families. This is a real problem in my opinion.

What do you all think.

Scroll to see replies

That's not the article but it's based on the original. I can't for the life of me find that article, this article raises some similar points but the original article is a lot more critically thought out and avoids some of the sweeping statements of this one.
No reason men can't raise children. There have been many successful societies across the globe in which the males raise the children and the women hunt and gather food. I don't think it's at all fair to constrain either gender to roles that many people are not happy with purely on the basis that it happens to be popular in this part of the world, and it's not all that rational either.
The line between percieved female/male gender roles has blurred so much over time they basically are one, our gender is literally dictated by what sexual organs we have now (for want of a better example) in what is (I'd like to think) an egalitarian society
Research after research and study after study has shown that both men and women are happier when they're in their gender roles that nature has dictated.

It's no surprise women's happiness has gone down with more equality over the past decades since World War II. For me, I see no point in marrying a modern British woman- it's akin to marrying a man. I will definitely go to Eastern Europe/Asia/Latin Anerica to find myself a nice feminine wife, who'll put her family before a fraud corporate "career".
Original post by SophieSmall
No reason men can't raise children. There have been many successful societies across the globe in which the males raise the children and the women hunt and gather food. I don't think it's at all fair to constrain either gender to roles that many people are not happy with purely on the basis that it happens to be popular in this part of the world, and it's not all that rational either.

If those societies are so successful, why are they hiding in a rainforest with men desperately needing new loinclothes and the women a bra for their sagging breasts? Obviously not going to take over the world any time soon, eh?
Original post by thisistheend
If those societies are so successful, why are they hiding in a rainforest with men desperately needing new loinclothes and the women a bra for their sagging breasts? Obviously not going to take over the world any time soon, eh?

...Well that was incredibly ignorant. But okay, whatever you say.

why was that ignorant?

do you seriously think the women are going to win a tribal war where their opponents are men? What they going to do, nag them to death?
There have been many successful societies across the globe in which the males raise the children and the women hunt and gather food.

Are you daydreaming or something?

Well, he does have a point, even if he put it quite crudely. All successful societies that have survived and flourished have had men as the defining patriarch of the family. This hasn't meant that women have suffered greatly in those societies- those societies realised that's men and women aren't the same, especially in a primitive environment. You may question the need for such a system now (and rightly so since technology has advanced and that means we no longer need to adhere to such a primitive system), but it's clear that nature has dictated that men and women are happier in different states and studies back that up.
Original post by Normies Out
Are you daydreaming or something?

No, maybe read something outside of the daily mail for once.
Matriarchal societies are rarer yes, but they have been found across the globe.

No idea why people have such negative reaction to something outside of their norm. Feel free to argue with anthropologists, I'm really not that arsed.
Matriarchal societies are rarer yes, but they have been found across the globe.

Such as?
Original post by what is thisMkII
Well, he does have a point, even if he put it quite crudely. All successful societies that have survived and flourished have had men as the defining patriarch of the family. This hasn't meant that women have suffered greatly in those societies- those societies realised that's men and women aren't the same, especially in a primitive environment. You may question the need for such a system now (and rightly so since technology has advanced and that means we no longer need to adhere to such a primitive system), but it's clear that nature has dictated that men and women are happier in different states and studies back that up.

There are still matriachal societies going. And they get along just fine. They're just different to us. We in the west have a very superior way of looking at things. Just because we have abundant technology and fancy clothes we assume ourselves to be better. But that is not necessarily the case. It's tunnel vision. More advanced yes, but that doesn't necessarily make us any better than them. If they're happy that's about as important as it gets.
There are still matriachal societies going. And they get along just fine. They're just different to us. We in the west have a very superior way of looking at things. Just because we have abundant technology and fancy clothes we assume ourselves to be better. But that is not necessarily the case. It's tunnel vision. More advanced yes, but that doesn't necessarily make us any better than them. If they're happy that's about as important as it gets.

Okay, so donate your material possesions to charity and go live in these 'matriarchal' societies if you think they're so happy.

you know what, educate me. name me a matriachal society that do not spend their days half naked rambling for food.
Original post by Normies Out
Okay, so donate your material possesions to charity and go live in these 'matriarchal' societies if you think they're so happy.

What a nonsensical reply.

So what is the factor which determines which society is better?

Would yu rather live in one of those matriarchal societies, probably deep somewhere in the Amazonian rain forests, where you're still having to hunt food or in our society where you can get food within minutes, without the need for laborious of hours of hunting?
Original post by what is thisMkII
So what is the factor which determines which society is better?

Would yu rather live in one of those matriarchal societies, probably deep somewhere in the Amazonian rain forests, where you're still having to hunt food or in our society where you can get food within minutes, without the need for laborious of hours of hunting?

I don't think there is a definitive answer. Every single culture will have a different answer.
Original post by thisistheend
you know what, educate me. name me a matriachal society that do not spend their days half naked rambling for food.

Wow. You really do have a superiority complex don't you?

Who cares whether they wear clothes or not.

And if you actually cared to be educated you wouldn't take such a sarcastic and superior tone. I'm going to sleep now anyway, but if you care to be less ignorant google is most definitely your friend.

Though I highly doubt you'll look, because you're oh so superior aren't you? Much better than those savages.

Typical response from you.

Quick Reply

Latest